FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner benefit for a friend
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alienscollection.com

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Blade Runner benefit for a friend Reply with quote

info edited for the moment
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spoken to by phone before and having met Paul last December, all I can say is that I am stunned. Paul is truly one of the most friendly and down to earth people whom I have had the pleasure of meeting. This is tragic. My thoughts are with him and my prayer is that he can somehow pull through.

This is very sad news. He's a great guy who doesn't deserve something like this. If you talk to him soon, please tell him that he is in my prayers.

John
Charles de Lauzirika

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

We will be making an official announcement in the near future about all of this, but yes, we're in the process of putting together a series of events to help benefit our good friend Paul Prischman and his family. And I thank my pal Willie for taking the initiative to spread the word.

In the meantime, I've included background information on Paul written by Jared Rivet below. More info will be available soon at www.paulsbraintrust.com.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers.

Charlie

-----------------------------------------

Paul Prischman has always been the guy you call. For advice. For a tech opinion. For dish on upcoming movies. To debate the merits of certain recordings of classic rock bands. To discuss art or politics, current events or family crises.

You will probably never meet a more generous, more giving, more caring guy than Paul. Paul always does what he can to include people, to embrace them and bring them into his circle. He’s that rare type who doesn’t feel the need to exclude or keep people at arm’s length. Humble about his own talents while offering nothing but enthusiastic encouragement to the talents he sees in others.

Paul is the kind of guy who will tell the same story a dozen times, with the same energy and gusto as the first time, to an eager listener who hasn’t heard it yet.

He’s the kind of guy who will insist you come over to his place for Thanksgiving dinner because you don’t have anyplace else to go, and then reassure you that it’s really no trouble if you want to bring along a couple of friends.

Raised in the 60’s and 70’s on Universal Monster movies, Edgar Rice Burroughs, comic books, Tolkien and STAR WARS, Paul, like so many of us, is a dreamer: a dreamer who has sketched scenes of his ultimate character match-up or daydream movie scenario, hoping one day someone would look at something he’s drawn and say, “You know, that’s really good.” And they did. A dreamer who, obsessed with rock n’ roll, learned every guitar lick of his favorite songs, hoping one day, someone would hear him play and say, “You know, we should be in a band together.” And they did.

Paul worked at “Dave’s Video – The Laser Place” in the early 2000’s which meant, as far as the movie industry was concerned, that he got to meet and talk to a virtual who’s-who of Hollywood. One can’t really talk about Paul without explaining a little bit about Dave’s Video.

Dave’s was the kind of place folks will always say “you had to be there to understand.” You hear the name and you think, “Mom & Pop Video Store.” But Dave’s was actually a very unique and special place, specializing (initially) in the rental and sale of Laser Discs – the LP-sized (and usually overpriced) precursor to DVD. Laser Disc lived and died as a niche market, albeit one that taught the home video industry what direction to move in, providing superior video and sound quality than VHS, the ability to “chapter skip” like a CD and also pioneering the concept of the “bonus feature” – audio commentary, isolated score tracks, retrospective documentaries, storyboard-to-film comparisons, trailer archives, deleted scenes, etc.

The store was strategically located in Studio City, on Ventura Boulevard right near Laurel Canyon – a hot spot for celebs and industry-types.

These folks (movie stars of the highest marquee caliber as well as genre cult icons, TV stars on the brink of stardom and struggling actors working towards their big break, big name producers, world famous directors, superstar musicians, screenwriters, production designers, storyboard artists, effects guys…you name it) would merely stroll in off the street, usually knowing at least two things: that Dave’s would have what they were looking for, and that the staff knew their stuff. It was almost a prerequisite that you be either a movie geek or a film snob in order to get a job there. The managers at Dave’s prided themselves on hiring knowledgeable staff. (What better way to cater to the clientele: the very folks making the movies?)

Dave’s was also the place to go for signings and other such events. What other single place could you go to get your discs or posters autographed by the likes of Soderbergh, Friedkin, Carpenter, Darabont, del Toro, or Kevin Smith (to name but a few)?

Paul came to Los Angeles from Chicago in 2000 and was hired at Dave’s soon thereafter. A certified movie geek and first-rate artist, he moved to L.A. with his wife Cristin to try his hand at the movie industry. His first goal was to find a job as a storyboard artist, but, like any other gig in the film biz, he had to start somewhere.

Paul had previously managed a record store in Chicago and his administrative skill and attitude were immediately recognized by the management at Dave’s. Very soon, booking filmmakers for signings became a big part of his job. This put him in a position to be, for all intents and purposes, a production coordinator. Talking to studios about events and coordinating with the filmmaker’s assistants to lock down dates, parameters, and ensure that the filmmaker was going to have everything he or she needed. His good humor, fervent attitude, and unwavering loyalty meant that people were always drawn to him, and the industry folks he dealt with were no exception.

Paul met Charles de Lauzirika while working at Dave’s. Charles was already an established and well-respected DVD producer, with high-profile special editions like GLADIATOR, BLACK HAWK DOWN, THELMA & LOUISE, SPEED and LEGEND under his belt. The two became friends through Dave’s and in the spring of 2003, Charles hired Paul to assist in the finishing stages of the comprehensive ALIEN QUADRILOGY boxed set.

Later that same year, Paul was hired by Guillermo del Toro to do storyboard work on HELLBOY, a dream project for Paul – a hardcore comic book fan since childhood. (If anyone ever needed to gauge Paul’s devotion to HELLBOY, one need look no further than Frank Darabont’s introduction to the HELLBOY: ODDER JOBS short story anthology…)

Guillermo wasn’t the only one who recognized Paul’s exceptional skill as an artist, and Paul would always show up with a pencil and sketch pad at a moment’s notice if a friend needed concept art or storyboards or wanted to develop an idea for a graphic novel.

Paul went on to choose DVD production as his main professional focus, striving to work with others to create exceptional bonus features – superior to, but still the child of, those Laser Disc features of old. He continued to put his all into project after project at the Lauzirika Motion Picture Company, culminating in serving as associate producer for what many believe to be the holy grail of DVD boxed sets: 2007’s BLADE RUNNER Ultimate Collector’s Edition.

Paul and his lovely wife Cristin live in Los Angeles and are the proud parents of two beautiful little girls, Michaela (4) and Abigail (2). Together, they are terrific parents. A team that truly complements one another. A template for others to follow. Paul may have had a hand in creating DVD materials that have entertained people around the world, but his proudest creations will always be his daughters.

In late 2007, Paul was plagued by a series of symptoms which seemed, at first, to be some sort of recurring sinus infection. But no conventional sinus treatment helped, and his symptoms worsened. In February, an MRI revealed that Paul had a brain tumor the size of a golf ball in his brain stem. On March 18th, Paul underwent brain surgery. Although the tumor was successfully removed, the pathology proved to be Grade 4 brain cancer: Gliobastoma Multiforme (GBM).

GBM is an incredibly aggressive form of cancer with a very low survival rate, and Paul, guided by an all-star team of neurologists and oncologists, is undergoing extensive radiation and chemotherapy. The cost of this treatment - prescriptions, hospital visits, various and sundry complications – has taken an enormous financial toll on the Prischmans. And since Paul was the sole financial provider for his family, you will begin to understand the need for your donations.

The outpouring of support from countless individuals working in the industry who know Paul has been amazing. Selfless people asking what they can do to help.

PAUL’S BRAIN TRUST is a group of people close to Paul who have come together to coordinate auctions, movie screenings and other spectacular fund raising events, with all the proceeds going to help Paul and his family.

Contact us for more information: paulsbraintrust@gmail.com
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us informed here of this, as I am sure many would like to help out Paul and his family.

I am going to make this a sticky in hopes that more people will see this.

Thanks for filling us in.

I guess in the meantime, everyone should visit: www.paulsbraintrust.com for more information.

Please pass along our best wishes in the mean time!

Tom
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything I can do, just let me know. We lost my brother Tom to this same situation 3 years ago, so it's impossible for me to not get very emotional when I read things like this.

I don't know Paul or his family but I'll help in any way I can!
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when bad stuff happens to good people. Wishing Paul and his family all the best.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Sad news Charles. Please let us know if we as a group can help out as well. This is exactly the same type of brain tumor my Grandfather passed from in his late 80's.

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready to help, too.
Anson James
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

Paul sounds like a really nice guy - as a group we can surely come up with a good way to help.

Anson
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Make sure you keep an eye on this site:
www.paulsbraintrust.com
for more information. I believe information will be posted here as well to show us all how to help.

I am looking at putting some type of notification on the front page of this site so that we can spread the word to help Paul.
Charles de Lauzirika

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATED: SOLD OUT!

Here's the official announcement. (Tom, feel free to use this elsewhere on the site, if you think it's appropriate. Thanks!)

PAUL'S BRAIN TRUST LAUNCHES NEXUS 6 LEVEL FUNDRAISING EVENT

New Series of Charity Events to Include Special Screenings, Online Auctions of Rare Movie Artifacts and Memorabilia

BURBANK, CA – Paul Prischman, unquestionably "one of the good ones" – dedicated husband, father, and friend; DVD producer; gifted artist; comic book lover; musician; and worshipper at the altar of all things film – was recently diagnosed with grade IV brain cancer.

Paul's Brain Trust, an effort to fundraise for our friend Paul and his family during this difficult time, has put together our first major event: a screening of BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT, attended by several cast and crew, and followed by a Q&A with director Ridley Scott, at the Steven J. Ross Theater on the Warner Bros.
lot, Saturday, June 14th at 2:00 pm

Attendees will receive a limited edition BLADE RUNNER collectible courtesy of Warner Home Video. Additionally, we will be auctioning off ten premium passes for a private walking tour of the BLADE RUNNER locations on the Warner Bros. backlot hosted by one of our special guests from the film, as well as an opportunity to win a one-of-a-kind piece of BLADE RUNNER history.

BACKGROUND

Raised in the 60's and 70's on Universal Monster movies, Edgar Rice Burroughs, comic books, Tolkien and STAR WARS, Paul and his wife Cristin moved to Los Angeles from Chicago in 2000. Paul began working at the now-legendary Laser Disc/home theater specialty store "Dave's Video." While at Dave's, Paul met respected DVD producer Charles de Lauzirika, who, in the spring of 2003, hired Paul to assist in the finishing stages of the comprehensive ALIEN QUADRILOGY boxed set.

Later that same year, Paul was hired by Guillermo del Toro to do storyboard work on HELLBOY: a dream project for Paul (whose devotion to HELLBOY is documented in Frank Darabont's introduction to the HELLBOY: ODDER JOBS short story anthology).

Paul went on to focus professionally on DVD production at the Lauzirika Motion Picture Company (his list of credits as producer include THE FLY II special edition as well as MONSTER HOUSE. He was the associate producer of such titles as AMERICAN GANGSTER, SPIDER-MAN 2, GLADIATOR: EXTENDED EDITION, KINGDOM OF HEAVEN and the recent REVENGE: DIRECTOR'S CUT), culminating in his associate producing what many believe to be the holy grail of DVD boxed sets: 2007's BLADE RUNNER Ultimate Collector's Edition.

Paul and Cristin currently live in Los Angeles and are the proud parents of two beautiful little girls, Michaela (4) and Abigail (2).

In February of this year, an MRI revealed that Paul had a golf ball sized brain tumor in his brain stem. On March 18th, Paul underwent brain surgery. Although the tumor was successfully removed, the pathology revealed it to be Grade 4 brain cancer – Gliobastoma Multiforme (GBM) – a particularly aggressive cancer with a very low survival rate. Paul is currently rehabilitating from surgery while undergoing radiation, chemotherapy, and other costly treatments.

The outpouring of support from countless individuals who know and love Paul has been amazing. PAUL'S BRAIN TRUST is a group of Paul's friends who have come together to coordinate fundraising events to help Paul and his family.

Our first planned event will be a screening of BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT, where it belongs: on the big screen. Saturday, June 14th at 2:00 pm in the state-of-the-art Steven J. Ross Theater on the Warner Bros. lot. That's right: the same Burbank backlot where BLADE RUNNER was produced more than a quarter century ago. Director Ridley Scott will be on hand for a rare Q&A, along with many of BLADE RUNNER's original collaborators. Attending cast and crew members will be announced soon but it will be an extraordinary event not to be missed. All who attend will receive a limited edition BLADE RUNNER collectible courtesy of Warner Home Video.

We will also be auctioning off ten premium passes for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that no serious BLADE RUNNER fan will be able to pass up: A private walking tour of the BLADE RUNNER locations on the Warner Bros. back lot hosted by one of our special guests from the film. Walk the very streets where this science fiction classic was filmed and hear fascinating inside stories from the set, firsthand. The identity of the BLADE RUNNER tour guide will be revealed soon, but rest assured, it will be a truly amazing experience. Premium pass holders will also receive a BLADE RUNNER gift bag, including a rare collectible item, and our top bidder will win a one-of-a-kind piece of BLADE RUNNER history. More details to come!

Visit www.paulsbraintrust.com to buy tickets, keep posted on our latest events, and contribute to Paul and his family.

CONTACT

Trisha Gum
310-994-8795
paulsbraintrust@gmail.com

Last edited by Charles de Lauzirika on Fri May 30, 2008 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never be able to go to burbank for this special screening since I live in France but, well... Donation sent via Paypal !

I wish all the best to your brain in the near future, Paul !

Fred
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They posted it at Aint it Cool news today, and that should get the word out to a few million folks.

I'm considering flying out for the event.
Charles de Lauzirika

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!

It's official: Ridley Scott is going to host a private tour of the Warner Bros. backlot where much of Blade Runner was filmed. Winners will get to hear his stories firsthand, ask him questions and see where key scenes were shot, with Ridley as their personal guide.

10 tickets will be auctioned off on eBay starting Monday. The auctions will end Saturday, June 7.

More info to come!

www.paulsbraintrust.com
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Charles (welcome aboard, by the way). I hope this amazing prize makes a ton of money for Paul's charity.
Bill Hunt
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I'm involved in the Brain Trust effort with Charlie, and I wanted to make a quick updated announcement. As of 3 PM Pacific, we have only about 20 tickets left for the screening, and that's it. If you know anyone who wants to attend the event, this is the last call for tickets.

In case you haven't seen the notice we posted this morning, in addition to Ridley Scott, Hampton Fancher, Syd Mead and David Snyder will all be in attendance, and more guests are yet to be announced.

Get tickets at this link while they last...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/paulsbraintrust/brscreening.html

Best!
Charles de Lauzirika

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: We's officially SOLD OUT! Thanks to everyone who bought a ticket! You guys are amazing!

Keep checking www.paulsbraintrust.com for more information!
Charles de Lauzirika

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who participated in or helped get the word out for our Blade Runner event ticket sales and the studio tour with Ridley Scott. We have people from all over the world coming to L.A. for this event. It's really going to be something!

This has been a wonderful kick-off to a series of amazing fundraising events we're planning for Paul and his family.

My deepest gratitude to all.

Charlie
bolsoncerrado
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came up to this sticky thread... How this story of fanpower ended up? A nothigtodowithPaul site pops in when clicking the involved website.

Anybody?
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Paul has passed away. Rest in peace.

http://thedigitalbits.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: