FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Worldcon Badge - THIRD BATCH HERE, READY TO SHIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could get the wallets to be cut to perfectly match the "Force" shield, but it would be expensive. The wallets are die cut, not hand cut, and the one I used on the retro sets was a compromise... close, but not perfect (Remember Southwell's comments that it was , "... an imperfect world" in reference to the BR designs). If I wanted to get a perfect match, I would have to pay the leather company to create the die for my specific badge.

Actually, if someone was good with an Exacto knife or something like that, the wallet can be ordered uncut and in skilled hands be cut more tightly.

Since I am not mass marketing these wallet sets, spending the money on a custom die is not economically feasible at this time. If someone was good with leather and could do the cuts by hand, I'd order some uncut ones and pay that person (or barter) to do the cuts on an as needed basis. The wallet / case makers have dozens of dies on hand, but for traditional badges from varying manufacturers. I have been unable to find any with the correct die for the LAPD circa 2010 shield made by that subsidiary of Tyrell Corp. Cool

Seriously, if someone could accurately cut these badge recesses by hand, we might do some business.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed response. Yes, it sounds as if ordering a custom die to cut the wallets wouldn't be cost-effective given the limited nature of the run.

Do you know how sctcarts, with whom you partnered on the recent Jaws Brody wallet sets, created the custom cutout for his Mike Hammer wallet sets? To the best of my knowledge, he hand-makes those wallets himself (and they are beautiful). It's possible that he cut the recessed area by hand, but I wonder if he may have a way of making his own dies? It might be worth checking out. (Knowing your attention to detail, you're probably way ahead of me. )

In any case, if there's no economically feasible way to get the recess custom-cut, I'd be interested in the option of an uncut version (assuming I'm lucky enough to get my hands on one of these sets to begin with). Very Happy
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:

Do you know how sctcarts, with whom you partnered on the recent Jaws Brody wallet sets, created the custom cutout for his Mike Hammer wallet sets? To the best of my knowledge, he hand-makes those wallets himself (and they are beautiful). It's possible that he cut the recessed area by hand, but I wonder if he may have a way of making his own dies? It might be worth checking out. (Knowing your attention to detail, you're probably way ahead of me. )

Very Happy

I will ask Cory if he is interested / able to carve wallets out. He did a pretty sweet cutting job on his home made cases, they were pretty impressive.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Large, Metal Badge update Reply with quote

My metalsmith says he should have five sets out in a week or two. They are all being done the same way (easier for him). They will be finished and laquered, cast in "white bronze" for a silver look, and will be the three piece sets. They will not have pins or any type of fastener on the back, but since these are metal they can be drilled and tapped, epoxied, JB Welded, soldered, etc. on if you are going to wear them or put them on an armor/shirt display.

First dibs to buy these will go to those who helped me on the retro wallet project. I owe you. Your names and contributions were listed in the tutorial that accompanies each "retro set." You will also get special pricing. If there are any left, Propsummit members get next dibs, I do not intend to offer these up on RPF, etc. until Propsummit, then Blade Zone folks get the first shots.

I only ordered five sets to see if my metalsmith can produce. If he is back on track (he is recovering from cancer), then I will have him do another run. When he sends the first five, I'll also get an invoice and that will determine the final pricing.
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in getting the patrolman's photo badges.Please pm me with detail on price/payment info.Thanks
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tain669 wrote:
I'm interested in getting the patrolman's photo badges.Please pm me with detail on price/payment info.Thanks

Hi tain669,

All the available info on the big patrolman's badge is found on the first post on this thread. The only variables will be number available and final pricing, both dependant on my metalsmith. I estimated high on the prices, and I am hopeful that when my invoice arrives, the per set prices will be lower than what I estimated in that first post.

Thanks for your interest.
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok pit me down for one Thanks
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still interested.
Bill Hunt
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark me down as well. By three piece, you mean the 995 piece, the Force badge and the photo ring?
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Hunt wrote:
Mark me down as well. By three piece, you mean the 995 piece, the Force badge and the photo ring?

Yes

The purchaser must decide how to attach the photo ring to the "Force" badge. You can drill and tap, epoxy, JB Weld, solder, etc. On my little retro badge set, I simply used a two part epoxy to attach the photo ring.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: FIRST BATCH READY TO SHIP Reply with quote

My first batch of full sized shields has arrived. Due to the maker being a one-man shop, I was unable to do varieties (finished/unfinished, with/without 995 plate, etc.) so what I have are five sets. Each set is a cast pewter shield, photo ring and "POLICE 995" plate as shown. They all have a light grey wash and laquered finish so they will not tarnish. The shields have holes that line up with the mounting "bumps" on the photo rings, the rings are not drilled and tapped as that would be too labor intensive to make these economically feasible. I've used epoxy to mount the rings with no problems. There are no pins or catches on the back.

The price is $150.00 shipped, I have five sets (all 3 pieces) in hand ready to go. If these sell, I will try for another batch. Paypal preferred, those of you who helped me with my Retro Wallet Set Project will receive a discount.

Those who expressed (posted) an interest earlier in this thread who want to buy will receive preference, followed by those who helped with the wallet thread.

These really look good IMHO. They have that worn, street used look to them. If you wanted them to look like newly issued badges, you could easily repaint the recesses with gloss black, but I feel the beat up look was more in the keeping of the BR world.

Here is what my shield was modeled after.

hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent, too !

(these badges look great, I especialy like their used look !!!)

Cool
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will start an actual "list" here to show who has expressed interest, and who has paid. To clarify, I should have said free shipping within the US. Shipping to Japan, UK or France will be a little more, but only a couple dollars. I'd say add $5.00 and that should be close enough.

Those who helped me with technical assistance or actually provided components for my Retro Wallet Set Project will get a discount that I will privately communicate to you if you are interested in buying.

I am very pleased with the quality of these so I am asking the molder to shoot out a second batch immediately. I cannot guarantee when, or even if, he will produce the next batch.

This list as of 05/14/08 is NOT IN ANY ORDER in re. priorities. On Sunday night, I will prioritize and list in order at which point I will ask for payment. These are ready to go and will ship within 24 hours of payment being confirmed. Paypal preferred, will ship USPS Priority, USPS Air to the UK or France.

EXPRESSED INTEREST IN THE WASHED AND LAQUERED VERSION AS SHOWN:

Skin Job 66
Bill Hunt
Docatomic
Temponaut
Andy
Tain 669
Offworld 66
Hirohawa
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looking for the patrolman shield right now.Please let em know what the price is for just that.Thanks
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Because I was unable to do a mix and match order with my metalsmith, what I have is five complete, three piece sets. At this time I am unable to offer unfinished sets or partial sets. It's the molds and dealing with the metalsmith that necessitate this.

Once I get the next batch or two out of the way, I may get him to a few shields and rings only, but dealing with a one-man shop I can never predict or promise anything.

I'll remove you from the "set" list if you wish. Please advise. Sorry I couldn't offer up the badge only at this time.
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I was the large patrolman's( World Con ) badges.I all ready have the 995 badge. But if you can't part them I'll take the set.Thanks
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tain 669. OK, you remain on the list. Thank you.

Those of you whose name is on the list, but are not interested right now please PM me so I can remove your name.

Those of you who want a set but are not on the list, please PM me so I can add your name. I have another batch of five ordered.

On Sunday I will create the "buy" list in priority order based upon the names I have on that day, then request payment. I will ship upon confirmation of payment, the first five are ready to ship.

THANKS.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm I am still in, and ready to pay.

Thank you Eltee,
andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as Andy !

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: