FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
BLADE RUNNER LOGO DESIGN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joberg:
So cool you are in Brussels! My first trip to Europe started there. By luck, the cab took me right past Joseph Hoffmans Stocklette. And please forgive my spelling.
Rid was a fan of Hoffman, Mackentosh, Wright, Greene & Greene, and the Vienna Secession group...as am I . This is evident in BR. And once we had our car we would shoot photos of the houses that were straddling art nouveau and arts and crafts. But I digress from BR.

And yes, in Paris I got my hands on many original pencil drawings of Mucha. He could draw the face of a woman the size of a quarter (or golf ball) like an engraved piece of currency. Amazing.
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note about most of my logos in BR:
When I was done and I looked back at the work, I was struck by how many logos were triangles standing on their point. Perhaps I was unconsciously picturing a knife being balanced on it's tip by a finger. Not sure. It caught me by surprise. Spinner logo, Vid Phon, VK, Tyrell T. And I think there are a lot more . (Oh ,yeah, that V8 at the top of this page.)

And since you all try to find reasons in all these symbols I need to share one. About a year ago I was digging through the images on Googles BR pages I found my VK logo. And beside it was a lovely photo of a woman's panties as her skirt was lifted. A fine line of lace went down the middle of the panties. It seemed to me someone grasped the hidden meaning in my VK logo. Replicants don't enter life through the same portal as you and me. And this VK device created by Philip K Dick was the only way to know one. I had never told anyone the thought and figured it didn't reach anyone...
Until I saw that photo.
Banzai88
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is the kind of insight I find interesting--keep 'em flowing in Tom!

Tom Southwell wrote:
A note about most of my logos in BR:
When I was done and I looked back at the work, I was struck by how many logos were triangles standing on their point. Perhaps I was unconsciously picturing a knife being balanced on it's tip by a finger. Not sure. It caught me by surprise. Spinner logo, Vid Phon, VK, Tyrell T. And I think there are a lot more . (Oh ,yeah, that V8 at the top of this page.)

And since you all try to find reasons in all these symbols I need to share one. About a year ago I was digging through the images on Googles BR pages I found my VK logo. And beside it was a lovely photo of a woman's panties as her skirt was lifted. A fine line of lace went down the middle of the panties. It seemed to me someone grasped the hidden meaning in my VK logo. Replicants don't enter life through the same portal as you and me. And this VK device created by Philip K Dick was the only way to know one. I had never told anyone the thought and figured it didn't reach anyone...
Until I saw that photo.

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Southwell wrote:
Skinjob66:
great find! Yes that's Lou with the proud smile of a Papa in front of his wall.

Sad it's gone. A lot of work to keep something white like that fresh especially in a cafeteria.

It's gone, yes, but not forgotten... Saw this a few days ago, it's a sculpture by Michael Johansson named Ghost... Pretty close to Lou's wall, hu ?

Fred

PS : BTW the CBS cafeteria wall was nicknamed the "Gastrotypographical-assemblage" !
LA2019
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yes.. Questions" - Roy Batty

(Sorry, I just had to do it Wink)

First of all, Welcome Tom to what might be BR-Heaven for some (those whom have found it) of us Blade Runner fan's. I guess we're not as spoiled with items as Star Wars fans are. People here have great skills creating items and sharing them with the other fans here. It's awsome that people like you can share information, help us and also like what people can create.

I don't think I'll ever see a movie with so much information and detail as Blade Runner. That besides what Blade Runner is (storywise, Vangelis soundtrack, actors and the future vision of Los Angeles which might look dark but too me looks believable and therefore makes everything in Blade Runner look real).

Creating and designing all those logos must have taken alot of time and I would love to see a book someday with them and other images on creating the Blade Runner universe.

Did you create the Nexus 6 logo? Sad that so much of all of the stunning designs never made it into the movie :\

I also gotta ask on your thoughts on the Blade Runner sequel ?. Im terrified and for me Blade Runner is holy and should be left alone. I can take Ridley's messing with us (Deck-a-rep) but I would hate to see a new Blade Runner movie made with computer generated effects (Blade Runner like Star Wars are movies that proves miniature models and handcrafted things never will be beaten by a computer generated effect).

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, the famous Palais Stocklet by Joseph Hoffman! Had the chance to visit that wonderful place (1974) designed from top to bottom with only one aim: a living machine called a Art Home...true that the Gustav Klimt mosaics are helping a lot also .

When we talk about Mc Intosh, Hoffman, Horta, Neutra, Wright, etc, we should spell architecture like this: Art-chitecture.

Being born, raised and schooled in Brussels for 22 years (that's where I saw Blade Runner for the first time at the Cinema Metropole in 1982), I now live in Canada (Ottawa) since '83.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Fred, love those installations of everyday objects arranged that way. Cool
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that insight Tom...yes, the inversed triangle's ubiquitous presence in BR. After the V.K. is done, I'll try to tackle that pyramid tile in Tyrell's office: complicated lines and form. Love the lighting in that scene also and the way the tile transfoms itself because of it.
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinjob:
That wall resembles what we called "the confessional" in BR. It was that wall with the TVs as Bryant showed Deck the escaped replicants. I may have a shot of it, or it's parts disassembled.

LA2019:
I did some Nexus 6 logos, one with a triangular shaped 6 to echo the Tyrell building and one in gold, but as far as I know, they aren't seen in the film .

As far as a sequel goes, I can see a fans point of view either way they decide, much like I agree with their right to defend the opinion wether Deck is a rep or not. Me and Hampton agree on this. Ridley should have left that info a secret. Far more interesting. Perhaps he was tired of the question, and he gave all those clues.

Joberg:
Ahhhhh The art house. That is what all the art chitects you listed were making. It is what links them. And they would borrow from each other and you can see some of their fruit in BR. I have a Tyrell Tile. Perhaps I'll post a shot or two.

But I had the privilege of working on The Godfather Part II, so you may see my delema . I would jump at a chance to work on a Part II.

And we often called Batty a Baddy.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Southwell wrote:
Skinjob:
That wall resembles what we called "the confessional" in BR. It was that wall with the TVs as Bryant showed Deck the escaped replicants. I may have a shot of it, or it's parts disassembled.

Oh yes, remember now, we don't see this in the film but it was actually built, there's even a painting of Syd Mead that shows it in detail... Would LOVE to see pics of course !

Cool

Also love the architectural refs JB and you already mentioned... The Palais Stocklet, would have loved to visit that one... I also love Greene & Greene a lot, their houses interiors had a great influence on the design of Deckard's apartment me think...

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Greene and Greene fantastic "Bungalows" and very influenced by Japanese Art-chitecture like many of the same era: Frank Lloyd Wright comes to mind immediately. The same kind of vibes are emanating from the main lines and some of the same details (stained glass in many of their houses).

And yes Tom, a pic of that tile would be great...and no rush of course
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: