FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Flying Spinner WIP. Time to apply for operator license...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aerodyne
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Flying Spinner WIP. Time to apply for operator license... Reply with quote

First time posting and all; intro is in the intro thread. Smile

I've been on a bit of a BR bent recently, with the FC release and such. I've always loved the work of Syd Mead, the Spinner especially, and despite having real work to do, couldn't put this off any longer. Prior to moving house last year, a friend very generously gave me his mint copies of both the Illustrated BR and the BR Sketchbook. He now has a dedicated converted attic for his figure and prop collection, so the first 'proper' vehicle will go to him as a much deserved thank you.

1/16th scale flying Spinner, obvious things for reference.

Props, motors, RX and lipolymer cell taken unmodified from a Silverlit X-Twin series plane. Primary constuction is of 2, 3 & 6mm Depron, 0.5mm carbon fibre and UHU Por. Painted in RC Styro and Tamiya acrylic, with decals on laser transparency, the all-up-weight is about 21g.

I must stress that this is a quick and dirty handbuilt 'make it up as you go along' prototype, with terrible weight distribution and awful flight profile, mainly to see just what I could make for the ~10g airframe weight budget. I need to claw back 2g for a full working light bar. Some parts are accurate, some not so, others non-existant.

I now know how to make it a little better. Smile

Construction up to this point is trivial. The full build log will be posted over at RCGroups when it's worth doing so; there's a rabid and very knowledgeable array of builders and flyers who might take it further than I ever can. Full plans will be freely available to all when the design is worth replicating, but anyone who spends a little time browsing this and other popular forums can find all the reference material I did. Besides, Syd and Gene did the real work 25 years ago. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. Actually, it probably has, somewhere.

I'll post updates when they're justified; it's nice to be able to contribute something back to this forum. Meanwhile, who do I talk to about a laminated Spinner Operators License? Wink

P.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flying spinner! That's fantastic!

Kudos to you my friend and welcome aboard.

- k
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE IT. Just love it.

I can't say it enough, you guys who can scratch build like this amaze me.

Thanks for posting this here, and please links us to any progress threads, or websites you setup.

WELL DONE! (which doesn't seem like a big enough compliment)

aerodyne
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. Smile

I'd intended to redesign at this scale, but I'm limiting myself by using the flight gear from an underpowered R/C toy and trying to keep to an accurate appearence. I might go smaller, to 1/24th or less, and use a lighter construction technique and different components.

The downside is that such a vehicle will really only be usable indoors or in completely calm conditions. Still fancy having a go, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: