FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Modifying the Hartford...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Modifying the Hartford... Reply with quote

Just curious, how easy is it to modify one of the Hartford blasters to make it look more screen accurate? Paint, small details, etc?

And while I know the new blaster hasn't been released yet, are their any thoughts on how easy it might be to modify it?

Thanks.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you set your mind to it, it would not be hard to modify at all.

It's not glued together, it's screwed together, and made mostly of high impact ABS plastic, and steel No resin.

The grip frame and trigger guard are mirrored chrome. Real chromed metal, so unless you paint over it, it is what it is.

The gun isn't painted either. It's made in the colors you see, so it could be weathered, painted over, whatever.

The internals of the PFC gun are exactly the same as a real gun.

The airsoft gun is not.

Hope that helps.

This weekend probably I will be posting a details review of the gun finally.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Dr. A!

- k
docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland -- thanks for the info.

Phase Pistol -- Happy to be aboard. I blame you. Smile
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done ... questionable things. Shocked
Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying the Hartford... Reply with quote

docatomic wrote:
Just curious, how easy is it to modify one of the Hartford blasters to make it look more screen accurate? Paint, small details, etc?

Thanks.

The hartford was originally overpriced and has gotten worse; a rather expensive item to be taking chances with....
Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:

Also extraordinary things! Revel in your hobby time!

Last edited by Ham Salad on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ham Salad wrote:
phase pistol wrote:

Also extraordinary things. Revel in your hobby time!

^fixed^ for accuracy.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did get those precious photos.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hartford was never overpriced if you were lucky enough to get it from hartford directly in Japan. In fact it is only a little more than the Coyle resin blaster.

The problem was, the guys on ebay were charging double and triple what they paid for it, and getting it.

In a few months the hartford blasters are going to be available in the states, and the prices are quite reasonable considering they fire blanks or airsoft BB's with green gas.

Check my snubby thread for the prices. if you think that's over priced than hey, we can agree to disagree.

Smile
docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I was thinking in terms of the new ones...

I'm looking forward to your review, Noeland, of the full sized blaster. And info on how to get one... Smile
Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
The hartford was never overpriced if you were lucky enough to get it from hartford directly in Japan. In fact it is only a little more than the Coyle resin blaster.

The problem was, the guys on ebay were charging double and triple what they paid for it, and getting it.

Smile

I saw it in Japan a few years ago, they wanted Y40,000 for it, I thought that was a lot. If the thing were all metal I'd still think that was too much-and yes, RAC charges an arm and a leg (well, he's trying to make a living doing this, so....). Perhaps he'd charge less if he prototyped it himself and then sent it overseas for quantity manufacture ala Offworld.
It's no shame to accept that a real manufacturer with heavy equipment can do a better job with mass production then even the best equipped private shop.

Frankly, why the heck doesn't Master Replicas do one of these, anyhow?
They can't do star wars anymore.

Anyhow, We'll see what they want for it when it's available from US outlets.

Still if it's more than $300 I'll probably balk..
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything over $180 for a gas airsoft is honestly overpriced. It'd be a different story if the whole gun was made out of metal, but it isn't.

I'm not bashing it by any means, but even with what it is and the obvious work and craftsmanship that went into it, a retail price of $300 or more? I could buy a real handgun for close to what I've seen a Hartford run for.

Its just one of those things that looks really great, but my finances just don't justify its cost. Now, if I was hemmoraging $100 bills, then it'd be another story.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I get it. The product sucks because you can't afford it!

Wink

I'm kidding, I'm kidding! I'm just busting your chops. I am in the same boat really, I don't have a budget for high end props most of the time. But I also love a good kit to build. And I love scratch built props too.

I feel that every BR blaster replica in our little black prop market here has it's own appeal, and is priced in such a way that you get what you pay for as long as you know what you're buying. Make sense?

I know that some disagree, but I truly feel that they all have their pros and cons. I can't just dismiss a product based soley on price, or because I can't afford it. I have to know what I'm buying.

The hartford is a high end prop. ABS, steel, and chromed steel is what it's made from. No resin, nothing is cast, nothing is painted.

I had one dropped on a concrete floor while shooting the fan film, and it didn't break. It got scuffed a bit is all, and not much at that.

I could argue the materials, the functionality and I could argue that hartford of japan makes the only BR blasters that actually do anything beside go "click" or look pretty on a shelf (which they do those things too).

But it's all academic. Some folks think they sound like a baby rattle (as the battery pack with the LED's moves a little, but the new guns won't have that issue) some folks hates the way the triggers look (harder to change but hardly impossible), and some folks think it's just plain ugly in general, and can't stand that they are not screen accurate.

I know for me, I just friggin' love them. Easily the favorite props in my collection. Who doesn't want a BR blaster that fires "blanks" or BB's?

I've handled and fired Kovach's full metal hero build, and this is the closest you're going to get to a hero gun that is commercially for sale that fires anything.

That said, I'm trying to be a source for these in the US. And my intention in doing that is to offer them to propsummit members at a hearty discount.

Because I want everyone to have one, and enjoy them as much as I do.

Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple replies . . .

Quote:
I'm not bashing it by any means, but even with what it is and the obvious work and craftsmanship that went into it, a retail price of $300 or more? I could buy a real handgun for close to what I've seen a Hartford run for.

Well hell man, you can buy a lot of things for $500. But guns are like anything else, it depends on what you're getting. You can pick up a fairly nice .38 RG or RHOM revolver on gunbroker for $35. I bought dual "all american" 32's on GB for $55. I've paid more than that for business lunches.

Quote:
Anything over $180 for a gas airsoft is honestly overpriced. It'd be a different story if the whole gun was made out of metal, but it isn't.

Gotta disgaree here. There are some very nice gas airsoft guns that cost much more than $180. You get what you pay for with airsoft too. The higher end guns are made of higher end materials, better seals, gearboxes, etc. And usually are priced accordingly. But the airsoft guns replicating high end race guns, like the STI infininity are priced around $300 or more, the real steel guns they replicate cost upwards of $1000 or $2000 dollars.

Quote:
I saw it in Japan a few years ago, they wanted Y40,000 for it, I thought that was a lot. If the thing were all metal I'd still think that was too much-and yes, RAC charges an arm and a leg (well, he's trying to make a living doing this, so....).

It is a lot, but you're not buying a resin cast blaster replica.

And hartford is a company, not a person, so they are also "trying to make a living" with their products.

Quote:
Perhaps he'd charge less if he prototyped it himself and then sent it overseas for quantity manufacture ala Offworld.
It's no shame to accept that a real manufacturer with heavy equipment can do a better job with mass production then even the best equipped private shop

You know some folks don't mind paying more for a hand crafted replica made in the USA. I don't anyway.

And Rich makes his own masters, that he casts from. He doesn't use "manufacturing" methods to make his blasters. I just don't get the whole "it's no shame" because Rich makes some killer stuff.

The offworld is what it is, and is recast from mostly hartford parts. It's the cheapest commercially available replica, but I've heard plenty of negative things about this one too.

I still want one, but that's because I have sort of "completist" attitude about my blaster collection. I want one of everything.

Or two or three.

I like variant blasters, so I'm always coming up with new mods and new things I can do with them.

Quote:
Frankly, why the heck doesn't Master Replicas do one of these, anyhow?
They can't do star wars anymore.

Now see, if price is an issue you don't want MR doing them. They're gonna charge an arm and a leg for a static wall hanger.

Personally, I'd rather see the company doing the new Korbin blaster do them, Hollywood Collectibles Group, they seem to have a good pricing ideal.

The real problem though is that WB wants an obscene amount of money for the BR license. I know this first hand, I work for a licensed apparel company and we chased the license for final cut to do shirts. We stopped chasing!

Quote:
Still if it's more than $300 I'll probably balk..

Start balking then (I covered this in the snubby thread)

$500 for the snubby.
$540 for the full size "upgraded" model, which will have many changes inside and out.

I still have to post up a few things, including videos of them firing, though I do have footage from our fan film on youtube if you're curious.

OK, long enough!
Shocked
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
I've handled and fired Kovach's full metal hero build, and this is the closest you're going to get to a hero gun that is commercially for sale that fires anything.

OT but I didn't know Kovach was selling full metal BR blasters.

Any more info on this? Or am I completely misunderstanding?

On a related note, there's a Hartford gun on ebay right now going for over $1400.00... Laughing Funny how the seller refers to it as PKD when only Rick Ross' guns can be called that... Rolling Eyes
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kovach built a full hero firing blaster years ago. Just 2. He sells them for $10,000 each. Or that's what he told me he'd ask for if anyone ever asked him to build one for them, anyway.

But that wasn't my meaning. Wink

My meaning was that the hartford is the closest I've ever seen to a full steel/firing hero gun in replica form, and I feel I've seen what the BR blaster collecting world has to offer for the most part.

Yeah, I saw Punchy's auction for the blaster. He's been selling those things for a long time too, he goes to Japan often. That is what I meant when I said earlier "twice or three times" more than they sold for directly from Hartford.
docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... since the topic's already drifted... Smile

The Offworld was based on the Hartford, correct? At least in terms of size... Is the Sidkit blaster closer in size to the original prop?
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

docatomic wrote:
Well... since the topic's already drifted... Smile

The Offworld was based on the Hartford, correct? At least in terms of size... Is the Sidkit blaster closer in size to the original prop?

Yeah - The Offworld is slighly smaller (not by much; based off a .38 rather than a .44). I have one and like it quite a bit - The sidkit is based off the .44 although what I didn't like too much about the sidkit is the grip size. Every one I've seen appears disproportionately short compared to the rest of the gun.
docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Offworld, too. I quite like it. The paint's a bit odd -- Smile -- but I plan on fixing that. The blaster's currently sitting in pieces, awaiting sanding and then airbrushing.

I'm just curious about some of the other options out there. I'd love to own one of Coyle's new Worldcons, but they're out of my price range right now. So I'm doing what I can to improve upon the options available to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: