FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
1/1 Scale Voight Kampf replica
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Combaticus
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo frames, huh? I'll happily accept a blaster holster in lieu of my 5% cut. Smile

Also, I can't be the first to have noticed, but it's the first time I've noticed: there appear two be TWO bellows, not just one big one. See the recent photo of the back of the prop.

EDIT: Nope, I'm mistaken. Your interpretation, while not as rounded, is accurate.
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , you're right , the original had two bellows (Hospital oxygen resperator bellows) , and a small screen ( as per the photos) RS asked for a bigger monitor to be fitted to film close up's , this meant having to radically alter the built prop to make the monitor they had available fit , this meant ripping out the two small bellows , adding the monitor and re-doing the bellows with one slightly bigger bellow set , you can see the differences between the two, in the intercuts fron the two interrogation scenes - Ieons and Rachel's, it's also why HF mimed getting the VK out of it's case , as to operate the videos and bellows, it was fixed to the desk and live video feeds from Sony Beetamax recorders were routed upthrough the desk as was a rod to operate the bellows from below.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the screen and the animation. Good stuff John!
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK , as the old saying goes 'measure twice - cut once!' I'm about to start -re-working joberg's static , I've settled on 17" x 12"x 8" as the overall dimensions , based on all the available evidence , unless anyone else would care to chip in - now's the time!!

This weekend , I'm going to separate the 'two monitor' box and the arm assembly , Joberg made his arm as three components , I'm going to replicate them as plasticard shells to cover the servos , from which I'll cast masters and then cast hollow resin shell's to cover them , the eye will be re-worked with the additional fibre optics, the on/off switch and a few additional 'greeblies' .

I'll also separate the main unit into it respective parts :-
top casing , fascia , back plate, side plates and base casing , but will not re-size these until I'm sure of the main dimensions , I'll also start to look at a chassis plate to build all the electronics on to.

Last edited by propsjonnyb on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me, as long as you have enough room for the main monitor...remember, one side is more slanted than the other Wink .
Eager to see it all coming together.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that. I can't wait to see this come together.

John will this be something you have to do a certain number of like a run or can you build them "as needed" ????

Very Happy
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've invested quite a bit in this project already , for example there is about $700 worth of electronics needed for one - just to get all the effects and then there's the cost of the molds , looking at joberg's design as I'm deconstructing it - it is perfectly possible to make the casings by hand , using a wooden frames and cladding them with plasticard , which would be a less expensive option, but each would have to be made by hand, so the lead time would increase. Taking the leadtimes for the custom electronics and adding on the build time for the main unit and the monitor box - each complete VK unit would take eight to ten weeks to complete and would cost $1250 and I'd have to have ten ordered to break even.
I'm concentrating currently on re-working Joberg's to make a much more accurate 'master' replica based on Nick's recent 'new' photos.
Gee Dub
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the latest?
Gary Willoughby
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always felt that the main housing could be done using vac-form.
Using the top of the machine as a buck and making as much pulls as you can. Usually, vac-form doesn't damage the original form.
It's very fast and very effective as you know.
Gee Dub
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are we still talking about $1250??
Gary
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its coming along nicely, I've gutted Joberg's prop and and am working on the arm assembly and bellows at the moment , I'm trying to keep the price at the $1250 mark, depending on how I make up the shells , I'll have a beter idea , once I finished the master - towards the end of November , I'll post some photos of the parts etc this weekend .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: