FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Background Extras / Actors

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Background Extras / Actors Reply with quote

I don't believe there is a thread that acts as a hub for the background actors (the street cops being a clear exception). This may not be of interest or use to long-time members, but for those of us still digging around, trying to deal with dead links and lost images, etc...
rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start, I've been doing a lot of research on some of the patches worn by some of the denizens in Blade Runner, only to discover that many of them had already been I.D. and reported on The RPF, and (as I discovered today) references in this forum by SSB (nicely done, BTW).

BROWN UNIFORM EXTRAS
Three or four of the many folks on the streets are these brown uniformed soldier types. They sport a few different patches, most if not all being re-purposed U.S. Army patches.

The round patch on the right breast is the insignia of the 27th Infantry Division. SSB made the I.D. on this one, but I can add to the conversation by sharing that there a few different versions of the patch and that I think the O.D. ringed version is what we see on-screen.

There is also a great bit of background on the insignia's design that is worth noting. The 27th was formed from the New York National Guard (hence the NYD – New York Division – you can pull out of the line work), and during WWI under the command of Major General John F. O’Ryan, who’s role was memorialized with a play on words depicted in the stars shown on the insignia: the seven primary stars the make up the constellation Orion.
I believe that the use of these patches is purely coincidence (based on the evolution of that famous line, and the production timeline), and I have not found any discussion regarding insignia’s design in any of my research to date. The serendipity, though, makes me happy. If only it had been used as a shoulder patch...

I believe that the unidentified left shoulder patch is the Japanese Logisitcs Command patch rotated 180 degrees.

It also shows up on a couple of hats/caps, displayed as designed.

The blue diamond patch is a US Army Second Service insignia turned 90 degrees.

Speaking of hats and caps, here is one that belonged to the brown uniform guys.

I'm getting pretty close on a couple of other patches that needed to be sorted out, I'll post the info once I have it.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent research! Funny how the costume designer made it all look "Sci-Fi" Wink
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. Love this stuff.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: