FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Where/When did you first see Blade Runner?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prefect42
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it in the theatre just after it opened.

Having been reading about all of the hype about this new sci-fi film that STARLOG was talking about, I found DADOES and read that several times before seeing the picture. So the film made a great deal of sense to me.

When critics started to bash it, I couldn't understand the problems they were having with it. Visually, thematically, comparing the book to the film, where were the problems? I thought it was a brilliant piece.

As the years passed and the work print surfaced, I actually got tickets to see it with a dear friend. Not a bad deal as Hampton Fancher said he couldn't get in. We stood in line for several hours but it was worth it.

And last night, for the third time on a big screen, my wife and I saw the latest and greatest version.

As I get older, I come to appreciate the films various levels more and more. And having spent years in film production and having read Paul. M. Sammons excellent book, I appreciate more and more what it took to get this masterpiece made.

And yet, all my mom had to say to me in '82 was, "No wonder it was rated R. That woman with her top off!"

Ted.
Prefect42.

Buckaroo Banzai
Blade Runner IV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first experience of Blade Runner was the Final Cut on December 6 2007, at the 'Renoir' cinema in London. It is a day I will never forget. I was blown away. I watched it again at 'Screen on the Green' cinema around 4 days later.

I am in love with this movie. I bought the 5 Disc Collectors edition (not the briefcase as that didn't get released in the UK). Two 'Cibi Double Old Fashioned' whisky glasses, and I am waiting for my Offworld blaster to arrive. It is the beginning of an obsession I think Smile
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad had taped it off of HBO, presumably in the early 80's. I was born in 1980 so I obviously missed out on a theater viewing, but recall watching the tape for the first time around the time I was 7 or 8. I remember that I dug it out every 6 months or so in my early teens, and in the mid-nineties I rented the directors cut a couple of times. I finally bought the dc on DVD probably about 5 years ago. Thankfully, I got the ultimate edition for Xmas this year, and couldn't be happier. I've also managed to turn-on multiple people to the movie, who had assumed it was some b-grade sci-fi action movie. I am also not embarrassed to admit that I invariably well up with tears when Roy dies.
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too saw it on HBO in I think about '83 - I was 15. I remember my step-dad didn't really like it, but I thought it was pretty cool. He did take me to see Dune on the big screen though... he didn't really care for that either, and I was disappointed having recently read the book. I remember I picked up the BR video tape the late '80's from a pawn shop next to the stereo/video store I worked at. Then I picked up the LaserDisc of the director's cut in '93 when that FINALLY came out. Still have it, and a working laser disc player too! I had started to collect LD's a number of years before DVD players came out... so I still have a number of them in my collection. I picked up the Director's Cut DVD when it came out, as well as the Special Edition box set by Creative Design Art (that's the one that came with a poster, a copy of one of the screenplays, a senitype reproduction of a film frame and reproductions of the lobby cards.) Since I bought the 5 disc DVD set, I gave away my DVD copy of the Director's Cut to a friend, but still have the copy in the Special Edition... and I have a copy of the Blu-Ray 5 disc set on the way although I haven't gotten a Blu-Ray player yet.

One thing that I thought was rather interesting, is the Laser Disc version is in the full anamorphic widescreen ratio as it was in the original movie, but the Director's Cut DVD, since it is "enhanced for widescreen TV's" which have an aspect ratio of 16:9, isn't as wide. I haven't compared it to Final Cut release, but it wouldn't suprise me if it is still wider...

A friend of mine who was lucky enough to see it on the big screen when it originally came out actually has a set of the original lobby cards that were given out the opening night... back then they used to often have give-aways of some sort for the opening night of first showing of a lot of movies. Too bad they don't do that much anymore...
Howard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st year of release at my local cinema. There were plenty of empty seats, the cinema was quite small with a low ceiling - fitted the mood perfectly.
4yearlifespan
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 9 when the film debuted

I saw it immediately when it was released on VHS.

It wasn't he Hades intro so much as the haunting Vangelis sounds over top that really made me a fan forever.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The year it came out with in a week or two after it opened.

Rich
bosstiki
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best friend at the time and I saw it when it came out, at a local theater in Tacoma Washington. I remember being impressed by Rutger Hauer's performance and his screen presence. I also remember thinking that Harrison Ford seemed out of place in the flick because of his recent performance as Hans Solo in Star Wars. The sets and visuals were over whelming and you came out of the theater feeling like you took a vacation to a different world for sure!
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

82, Fashion Valley 4 now torn down.
went back several times.
I was a teen, but I "got it" then just fine and so did a few of my friends.
I had chills when Batty lifts Deckard from the edge.

My bud actually got to see Ford at the San Diego premiere.
Howbout that?

I also realize now how spoiled we were back then.
So much was new and original.
Avril

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it 1989 and i was 6 years old.
I wtched the movie with my dad on VHS and it was great.
Since I saw this movie, I love it.

It is the hole detective thing, the Gun, the world and the Spinners... Very Happy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it when it was originaly released in 1982, with my brother...

We were both a little depressed when the end credits appeared... but, at the same time, we had enjoyed it all the way until the end... What an appealing vision of hell this was... Well, we almost live in that kid of future nowadays, but our world isn't as "glamorous" as Scott's vision... but it's much more depressing, in a way !

Rolling Eyes
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Star Wars obsessed friend told me at school one day that there was this new film that we had to go and see. Basically (at least to us at that time) it was Han Solo hunting killer robots in the future. We were all over it!
1982 in Dolby Surround Sound (or whatever it was called). I remember you could here the Spinners behind you before they appeared on the screen and when Deckard was creeping about (possibly the part where he's entering The Bradbury) a metallic 'clang' came from the back of the cinema and he turned around and looked 'out' of the screen. We were so impressed.
Although I'll admit to fidgeting a bit towards the end, I came away deeply affected and knowing I'd seen something unique, had been immerssed in a complete environment for a couple of hours rather than havinng just watched a movie. It looked stunningly new to us and the pacing gave it such an 'adult' feel and authenticity. I'm so pleased and surprised that it can still have the same effect on people watching it for the first time today, despite them having been raised on so much CGI crap.
Mick Rose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first saw Blade Runner 5 or 4 years ago, i remember i bought the dvd because i was a huge fan of sci-fi movies since i was a little boy (i watched the whole star wars first trilogy when i was only 3!!) and so i decided to give it a try, and now it's my favourite movie
dcarty
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first became aware of the movie several months before it was released when my school had a book fair and I bought a copy of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep because it had the movie artwork on the cover (still have it). Like Art Deckard I was all about a movie with Han Solo and killer robots. But I was going to have to wait.

Unfortunately I was 12 when the movie debuted and because it was rated "R" I wasn't allowed to see it--which made it something of a forbidden fruit for years to come. I bought magazines that had articles about it, I remember looking at "Making Of..." books, I got the comic book adaptation (next best thing in those days). I even had the little diecast spinner toy which I have long since lost though I think my brother still has the Deckard car.

Fast forward 2 1/2 years when I was bedridden by a bad accident for almost two months. We borrowed a tv and a vcr from my Grandparents and set them up in my room where, among other things (Star Wars baby!), my Dad let me watch my first two "R" rated movies: Das Boot and Blade Runner. Keep in mind that my father is a staunchly conservative and protective parent (not being disparaging here just stating a fact) so he watched along with my younger brother and me. It was funny because he threatened to turn the movie off when Joanna Cassidy's breasts showed up and then got up and stood in front of the TV to block our view when Roy Batty gouges Tyrell's eyes. We made it to the end though--my love of the movie now firmly entrenched.

I finally saw it in the theater when they issued the "Director's Cut" back in the early 90s.
br64fan
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nov 1982,London at the Odeon, Shaftesbury Avenue.,I was 18 at the time perfect age to understand the movies subtleties.I remember because it was raining when I went in,raining throughout the movie and raining when I left. Very Happy

Last edited by br64fan on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade Runner was released in June of 1982. In the spring of 1982 I was taking a film marketing class at UCLA. One of the guest speakers was a marketing guy from The Ladd Company. He arranged for a screening of Blade Runner. I don’t remember just where the screening was anymore, perhaps at the Director’s Guild theatre in Beverly Hills. I also no longer remember a lot of details about the edit. For example, I can’t remember if there were voiceovers, but I suspect not. It most certainly ended with the elevator door slamming shut followed by the credit roll. No happy ending then.

Quite a memorable experience. Went out humming the end credit music riffs and still can’t get it out of my head today.

Tony
Mike Rush
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to brag slightly - I was at a preview in London. Very Happy

Starburst magazine had a little article about it, including a cut-out 'admit one' ticket. My brother and I bought two copies, and then spent the time worrying about how many people were likely to turn up, whether we'd get in etc.

It was on a Sunday morning, and our parents very kindly drove us into town and dropped us at the Odeon, Shaftesbury Avenue. We were quite early but the queue was already round the back of the cinema.

Anyway, we got in, saw the film, and were completely immersed. I mostly remember the rain, the sound, Vangelis. On the way home neither of us spoke for a long time. We knew it was something special.

I had a friend at school who was really into films, and he was quite jealous. He kept asking me what I thought of it. I told him I loved everything except these weird voice-overs, which just sounded cheesy. He said "Ah, they did that to make it more like an old film-noir." I said "Well, I wish they hadn't." Little did either of us know... Rolling Eyes

"We're not heroes - we're from Finchley"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: