FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner in Second Life :D **56k Warning, pictures**

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Blade Runner in Second Life :D **56k Warning, pictures** Reply with quote

I honestly don't have the time to fully explain Second Life - it's a game of such epic proportions and possibilities, and the more you play the more is opened up to you, that I...just...
....just Google it. Sorry, but that's just easier if you've never heard of it. Honestly. It's massive. Wikipedia has the best article I believe.

SO. Thanks to the 3D modeling tool, an the possibility to upload textures, I have been making some Blade Runner stuff for my personal in-game home that I thought you guys would get a kick out of more than anybody.

First I began making a Spinner. Of the one's currently in SL, I believe it to be the most accurate...but in no way identical to the film's:

Here is it parked outside a recreation of the neon signs/window/tv's Deckard stands by while waiting for a seat at he sushi bar! This is inside of a BR-based "sim". A sim is a square piece of personal in-game land...that actually costs quite a bit of real money. More on that sim later...

Here's the badge I wear along with my Deckar-esqe Film Noir trench coat Smile

Looking up into the sky in the BR-sim. Reminds me of the Bradbury building scene...where we see the OFF WORLD sign through the grates and window!

My Voight-Kampf machine, along with some chinyen, Gaff's spinner permit, and a Vid Phon card.

My Vid Phon! Hangs on the wall by my door.

My apartment's view outside. (Actually, that background is feet away from the window. I made pinholes in the windowed areas, and then behind it have a moving white/black item, that makes it appear as though lights are flickering and pulsating. Inspired by spinner44's wonderful site!)

Hehe. A crappy remake of Bryant's desk with some booze on top. Note the Frank Lloyd Wright blocks I found Very Happy

Breathaking view in the BR sim.
1 = Sushi bar!
2 = The window/TV area seen in the first picture
3 = If you were to look up there, you'd see an OFF WORLD blimp. Pretty cool.

Here's me checking out my Esper. I tried to get Deckard's furniture as accurate as possible from the limited images we have of them...but..meh.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through Second Life once while trying to see what they did there for the Dune mod. Is there a chance to be able to log in and see what you did?

As it stands now, it looks awesome!
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, definitely!

If you ever hop on, send a friend request to Dillon Beerbaum, and next time I'm on I can show you my stuff, and that BR sim!
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I will have to update as it has been a long time since I was last logged in.

Thanks,

Tom
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe.

So I got bored and decided to make an LAPD uniform.....2019 LAPD, of course!

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very awsome.
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, well, one reason Second Life is so awesome is that you legally retain the right of intellectual property! That means you can sell your items for in-game currency, which can be immediately transfered into real money.

The heck of it is that most people's IP is the IP of OTHER people. I hate to admit it, but while I did the hard part - the tedious building, I stole another part - the design of the Bioshock Big Daddy. I made a Big Daddy costume a month or two ago, and have been making 300L on each sale - roughly a dollar (roughly, as in, there's technically an economy, and the value of 1L fluctuates) for every sale.

And actually, I just sold a copy of my Blade Runner Bonanza pack, which includes everything you saw there EXCEPT for Whitefalls' VidPhon image - (EDIT: AND except for the gun!) now THAT would be terrible if I made even a little cash on his design....I threw in an old movie-inaccurate version there.

Actually, one woman, ) think her name is Ashne Chung, recently (well, months ago) made 1 million US dollars from selling clothes, I believe. It's crazy.

Last edited by Feuyaer on Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, That does make it somewhat slippery. What about things like Rick Ross's gun Design? Maybe you should use the pictures of the Worldcon gun instead, or even the Stunts that were used by the police. But then you might need permission from Karl for pics of the worldcon gun if you plan on making cash off of them.
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no, heavens no, I'm not selling the gun. The quality isnt even worth selling! I'm just selling (actually, cheaply in SL-terms, like 70 cents) my apartment, my spinner, and the voight-kampf machine thrown in. Not anything anybody else designed....that would be just..wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: