FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
BR Final Cut _ I saw it!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rustyn242
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: BR Final Cut _ I saw it! Reply with quote

Shocked I got to go to the Ziegfeld this past Friday (Oct. 5th) to the 10pm showing. It was the first time I've seen BR in a theatre, what a great experience.
As far as the film- there are no "new" scenes- it still plays as the familiar series of events we all know. They did fix the number of replicants to "2 got fried " at the Tyrell break-in attempt. When Bryant is briefing Deckard, the dialog about Leon being able to lift all day- "the only way to stop him is to kill him..." is now included.
Surprisingly, Scott did not cut in the full shot of Roy in the phone booth (that shot was only used in the San Diego sneak print) They did fix the reused shot from the end (Tyrells' death scene). They moved Roy over in the frame to hide Tyrells' thumb and CG'd the phone booth glass in as the correct background.
This was an odd choice - when Deckard prints out the enhanced photo of Zhora, it's still does not match what is on the Esper machine. Strange...
The scenes that feels different the most (but they do play out better now in terms of pacing and tension) is 1) the morning scene with Pris, Roy & J.F.
There is more time spent trying to convince J.F. to take Roy to Tyrell. There is some added shots of Pris talking here and of her getting food from J.F.s' refrigerator.
When J.F. takes Roy to Tyrells'- there are more reaction shots of the characters. The scene plays a bit longer and adds to the tension of will they or won't they be let in.
When Roy meets Tyrell he says "I want more life, father".
There are more shots of J.f. walking around the room. The actual death of Tyrell is a little longer- more gruesome. At the end of the scene Roy turns his attention to J.F. and we can hear Roy say, "I'm sorry Sebastian".
Later on in the film, Pris's death is longer & I think she is shot an additional time. The shots change a little in the Roy & Deckard chase scenes. The shot of the dove flying away at the end looks amazing now. A CG city scape is now there that makes more sense. They hold a shot on Roy slumped over longer- you can see Gaffs' spinner appear over Roy's shoulder.
I almost forgot- the Zhora death looks fantastic. The CG is seamless. Very well done.
As for the continuity of the Tsing Tao and the Leon fight- they did not correct the edit but their solution was to CG out Deckards' wound on his face. Odd.
The city shots look incredible- all of the black in the background matches now.
The soundtrack was the most impressive. There was so much I had never heard before. Any one with a system that is set up for true 5.1 surround will really love this version of Blade Runner.

I can't wait for the special features discs to come out in December.
Here are some scans of the survey the theatre had us fill out at the end of the film screening.
- Rustyn 242

http://propsummit.com/upload/262/br_final_survey_1.jpg
http://propsummit.com/upload/262/br_final_survey_2.jpg
http://propsummit.com/upload/262/br_final_ticket.jpg
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I wonder if they will be still doing the questionaire when I go next weekend. What was the crowd like?

I have a feeling the reason the scene with the meeting with Bryant before the Leon fight scene wasn't changed (rearranged) is for two reasons. 1- the number of replicants would still be wrong ("four more to go"...not three), and 2- they didn't want to change the film significantly from what we all have seen. They kept all the changes subtle.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I want more life, F*CKER!" sounds way more impacting and cooler. Shame it was replaced, even though when I first watched the movie I thought he said Father Wink
Rustyn242
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the number issue with the Leon / Tsing Tao scenes.

The crowd was great- lots of applause and cheering during the credits and then very intent on watching and listening to the film. Nice to hear some laughter during some of the offhanded humorous bits. "Gosh, you've really got some nice toys here..." LOL.

Where are you going to see it?

Re: The Father vs. fucker line. I liked the harsher version as well. The father version gives it a more biblical feel.

- Rustyn
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: BR Final Cut _ I saw it! Reply with quote

Rustyn242 wrote:

Here are some scans of the survey the theatre had us fill out at the end of the film screening.

Dammit...they didn't have me do one of those...I would have been happy to fill one of those out for la causa, but no such luck.

Thanks for scanning it, though. Looks like Warner Bros really does care about the success of BR:FC.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word yet if there will be a screening in Portland Oregon?
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once-bitten wrote:
Any word yet if there will be a screening in Portland Oregon?

No word yet. Sorry...
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did any of you notice any new music in the film? I'm interested to know where the track on the trailer is from.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music seemed to be identical to the DC. Except a short piece where you see the Hockey mask dancers outside Taffy Louis's. That was a David Byrne and Brian Eno Piece called the Qu'ran, that was also in the workprint.
The music from the trailer I believe was from 'the Fountain'.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, cheers andy. now it's over to ebay for that "Fountain" soundtrack Smile
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this wasn't asked allready.

Was Fords Narration put back in?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one bit of it.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*SIGH* Oh well...
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting. Thanks for posting the info.

I am right in thinking then that they havn't corrected that dreadful scene when Deckard asks the shop keeper about the snake scale, grabbing him by the tie and the overdubbed voice over is nowhere even close to what the actors originally spoke when filming the scene?!!!

I do hope not......
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, we saw BR:FC on Friday night at Cinema 21 in Portland OR. The box office guy was duly impressed by the umbrella and the folks in the lobby went nuts with the camera phones.

I was a little concerned about there being a wait since the guy on the radio went nuts about how cool it was that BR was showing again; he read exerpts from the article in the local paper and was gushing all over it. Then he played a block of songs from Depeche Mode. Because this is a town of geeks, boys and girls. That's why I sent someone to get tickets the minute the box office opened.

We did have to sit near the front because we had a hard time finding four seats together by the time we sat down. I really liked how the theatre had a retro "coming attractions" lead-in; no Pepsi sponsored please turn off your cell phones blurb.

In all, very impressed by the print. Although I'm still cheesed by the lack of voice-over, but I'll get over it when the theatrical release is in my hot little hands. Nice of OB to buy it so I can purloin it, if I say so myself.

There was a nice touch at the end, with a dedication to the memory of PKD. And we did get the surveys, which of course we filled out after swiping one. Someone wanted me to list my favorite scene as "the one with the boobies" but I resisted.

Pics to follow soon.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeckB26354 wrote:
I am right in thinking then that they havn't corrected that dreadful scene when Deckard asks the shop keeper about the snake scale, grabbing him by the tie and the overdubbed voice over is nowhere even close to what the actors originally spoke when filming the scene?!!!

I do hope not......

It is corrected, but the dialogue is the same, that just put in Harrisons son's mouth in reading the dialogue correctly, I really could barely tell even with knowing what to look for.
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrison Ford's son?! Really?!!

If that is true then I find that's weird and a little sad at the same time.
Weird that they couldn't finally use the original shot dialogue that I have been desperate to know what they were saying all these years and sad because Harrsion Ford wont have anything to do with the film.
At the film's launch he was auspicious by his absence.
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I finally saw the Millenium Falcon. It was a 'well, of course I see it now' moment. But it helps that it's on the big screen; I saw a lot of things that I had missed before.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

It is corrected, but the dialogue is the same, that just put in Harrisons son's mouth in reading the dialogue correctly, I really could barely tell even with knowing what to look for.

His mouth or his voice? I assumed they'd hired Ford Junior because he sounded like his father?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His mouth, the voice was the sameas the DC and TCs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: