FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
.223 vs .222 Receiver Size Difference

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadAtNames
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: .223 vs .222 Receiver Size Difference Reply with quote

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere (I searched, but didn't find anything specifically discussing dimensions) but has anyone established if there is, in fact, a size difference between the .222 and .223 Steyr receivers? Obviously there's going to be size differences in the magazine, barrel, etc., but I'm wondering if a difference that small translates to the OUTER dimensions of the receiver as well?

I ask because, while I once saw a real live SL .222 for sale on Gunbroker for 5 minutes before one of us no doubt snatched it up (still kicking myself for not clicking "Buy It Now" button immediately), I feel like the .223 is ever so slightly more available and, disregarding absolute screen-accuracy for a moment, am wondering how compatible that receiver would be with the overall design of most replicas out there...

While watching the video series the Tested guys did on building a Tomenosuke kit Mark Dubeau mentioned something about an earlier model blaster replica's parts being incompatible with a lot of other kits because the makers had used a .223 receiver instead of a .222 and there was an appreciable size difference between the two, yet elsewhere I've heard of people sticking .222 magazines in .223 receivers, etc.

Does anyone on here have any first-hand experience with the two different receivers that would care to comment?
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Steyr SL model receivers are the same size regardless of caliber.
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I have a .222 and a .223 and the receivers are identical.
BadAtNames
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so before I go starting an entirely new thread I figured see if you guys knew the answer to some of my other Steyr-related questions, too:

What are the differences between the later model .222 SL receivers and the earlier ones of the same exact caliber? Obviously with the later model SLs the serial number is 5 digits instead of 4, and so the maker's marks are bumped down underneath the serial instead of in line with it, but what other differences are there? I've heard Adam Savage mention something about the bevel around the ejector port being slightly different... is that it? And is the dividing line between "screen accurate" receivers and "not 100% screen accurate" right at serial number "9999" or is it more about the year the receiver was manufactured than the actual production number?

Also, if these are questions readily answered in threads elsewhere, I apologize. I'm trying my damnedest to do the legwork, I swear. Unsurprisingly, however, all roads seem to lead back to here or the RPF anyway...
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the bolt handle is incorrect on some of the later models. It's more bulbous, instead of kind of flat on top with the ribbing under it. More importantly some don't have the full "Steyr Daimler Puch A.G. Steyr Mannlicher Mod SL" on the side and just say "Steyr Mannlicher SL" or something like that. Sorry to mob all your posts tonight!

In general four-digit serial numbers get you where you want to go, but always look at the pics closely and ask for more if you can't see the details you want!
BadAtNames
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apologies necessary, you're not mobbing, you're privately tutoring! Wink

I have fantastic news that I just have to share with the only community that knows how awesome this feels: I literally moments ago bought my first Steyr Mannlicher SL in .222 with a 4 digit serial number that's higher than the hero, but lower than Adam Savage's while still being in the 9000 range (so I know it's AT LEAST as accurate as his receiver) and that is definitely good enough for me! Finally, obsessively checking all those gun sites day after day for months has paid off...

I've still got a LONG way to go, but it goes without saying this is the most critical, most expensive, and rarest piece of the whole project.

Next up: not tearing my hair out while I wait for my local government bureaucracy to process my pistol permit application. Smile

Special thanks to hirohawa for selling me my first Tomenosuke and getting me started on the (very expensive) path to actually collecting and not just researching this stuff, and particularly veektohr for being my personal Blaster tutor these past couple weeks. You guys rock!
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats BadAtNames! I know how it feels because I just finally scored my very first and very well taken care of Steyr SL, its friggen gorgous! Mine ihas a 5 digit serial, but you know what I say about that...Forget about it!?
Everything else on this beautiful 47 year old Rifle other than the serial is completely screen accurate, including the bolt handle's correct shape. This Rifle is so nice that it's almost a damn shame it's getting machined.....Forget about it!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadAtNames: congrats on snatching that baby Cool It'll be fun to see what's next for you and your project.
BadAtNames
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! I'm currently wrapping up getting my pistol permit for my county so I can go out and get the Bulldog next. Not living in Cali means I can actually get a hold of a "classic" Bulldog and not have to pick one off a roster that's not quite 100% accurate. Then it's off to find a smithy who can turn me a barrel and put it on. I'm not as brave as Veektohr in that respect, I'll let a profession replace the part the bullet comes out of. Wink
Xhiwar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there!

Since this seems to be the knowledge thread on the Steyr Mannlicher SL, I am posting my question here too:

How is the barrel attached to the receiver? Is this easily removable or do you have to saw it off? I read somewhere, that they used a "sawn-off" Steyr in Blade Runner and was wondering whether the barrel isn't just attached some other way.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Xhiwar
BadAtNames
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xhiwar wrote:
Hey there!

Since this seems to be the knowledge thread on the Steyr Mannlicher SL, I am posting my question here too:

How is the barrel attached to the receiver? Is this easily removable or do you have to saw it off? I read somewhere, that they used a "sawn-off" Steyr in Blade Runner and was wondering whether the barrel isn't just attached some other way.

Xhiwar

It’s “just” screwed on, but with sufficient torque that it’s nearly imposssible to unscrew without making a relief cut in the bottom of the receiver. A professional gunsmith would likely be able to remove it without cutting the receiver, but nearly anyone who has removed the barrel themselves has had to make this kind of cut.
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xhiwar wrote:
Hey there!

Xhiwar

BadAtNames hit the nail right on the head about having to make a relief cut in order to remove the barrel!
The so called “sawn-off” part you read about is more than likely the threaded end of the Steyr hammer forged barrel. Supposedly the theory goes the gunsmith of the actual Hero Blaster very well may have used that “sawn-off” bit of threaded barrel to fabricate the receiver’s frontal cap.
Maybe somebody else that has done this to their own genuine Steyr can chime in and give us their first hand knowledge on the experience!? Thanks!
Xhiwar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Hooo Boy...
Well, I went and did it. What have I got myself into this time...

And to think that I'm just an idiot with a dremel... Laughing

Alright, I mean, for 700$, I maybe wouldn't cry more than two hours if I messed it up...

Now where's that thread showing where to cut?! I might need a large sip of Johnnie Walker before I go through with this.

Oh, BTW, five digit serial number, but with the correct marking on the lleft side of the receiver, and the bolt handle seems the correct type too I believe...

Cheers!
Xhiwar
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xhiwar wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Hooo Boy...
Well, I went and did it. What have I got myself into this time...

And to think that I'm just an idiot with a dremel... Laughing

Alright, I mean, for 700$, I maybe wouldn't cry more than two hours if I messed it up...

Now where's that thread showing where to cut?! I might need a large sip of Johnnie Walker before I go through with this.

Oh, BTW, five digit serial number, but with the correct marking on the lleft side of the receiver, and the bolt handle seems the correct type too I believe...

Cheers!
Xhiwar

Wow Xhiwar, that is one gorgeous looking vintage Steyr Mannlicher rifle you got yourself there....and that price tag is just as outstanding, at a boy!
Xhiwar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there ogrotesque1

Thanks, you won't believe how long I've been looking for one of those rifles, and then suddenly I found this one in an online market place and wondered whether the price was a typo... but it wasn't. Very Happy
I don't have it in hand yet, the gun shop sent me these pics and I can pick it up on the 28th. Can't wait!

Cheers!
Xhiwar
CKovach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: .223 vs .222 Receiver Size Difference Reply with quote

BadAtNames wrote:
Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere (I searched, but didn't find anything specifically discussing dimensions) but has anyone established if there is, in fact, a size difference between the .222 and .223 Steyr receivers? Obviously there's going to be size differences in the magazine, barrel, etc., but I'm wondering if a difference that small translates to the OUTER dimensions of the receiver as well?

I ask because, while I once saw a real live SL .222 for sale on Gunbroker for 5 minutes before one of us no doubt snatched it up (still kicking myself for not clicking "Buy It Now" button immediately), I feel like the .223 is ever so slightly more available and, disregarding absolute screen-accuracy for a moment, am wondering how compatible that receiver would be with the overall design of most replicas out there...

While watching the video series the Tested guys did on building a Tomenosuke kit Mark Dubeau mentioned something about an earlier model blaster replica's parts being incompatible with a lot of other kits because the makers had used a .223 receiver instead of a .222 and there was an appreciable size difference between the two, yet elsewhere I've heard of people sticking .222 magazines in .223 receivers, etc.

Does anyone on here have any first-hand experience with the two different receivers that would care to comment?

I don't mean to contradict what others may have offered in this post, but in fact the safety red dot was different on all SL models after 1968...it is slightly larger. So to clarify, the accurate BR blaster receiver must be from a 1967 or 1968 vintage rifle to match the original hero version ('68 matching best, obv). BTW '67 was the first year of that particular Steyr firearm.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS CKovach with us! Love the research and details you "Gun Afficionado" are doing and sharing with us Cool
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say what ever Craig/CKovach says is going to be good info. He is the pioneer of replica blasters as we know them today. Good to see you back on here Craig. Very Happy

Andy
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I add a question to this?

Would the outer dimensions of the magazine be the same? Im assuming if the receiver is the same across all calibers the magazine well would as well, the only difference being the inner part that hold different caliber bullets.

I see various SL magazines on ebay from time to time but never in .222, at least for a good deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: