FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
New Sarednab blaster planned for 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: New Sarednab blaster planned for 2017 Reply with quote

I just talked to Sarednab, the guy who gave us the latest JW bottles.... And he let me in on some news about upcoming products!

He's planning a brand new blaster based on original Steyr and Bulldog parts. Apparently a limited edition of 250 pieces at an estimated price of $399.

I think the run will go down on theRPF Very Happy

What you guys think?

Last edited by Buch on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool. I like the approach, and the price tag isn't too bad, either.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be made by Siderios working partner from years back... So a kind of evolution of the Sid-kit I guess?
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, this has been in the works for a little while now. Sarednab is determined not to fall into the same traps as Sid did and the last I heard was that its been re-engineered from the ground up - using the latest info regarding the hero prop.

Hopefully they get it done.

Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I will definitely stay updated on this one... hopefully we'll hear more soon.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staar wrote:
Yep, this has been in the works for a little while now. Sarednab is determined not to fall into the same traps as Sid did and the last I heard was that its been re-engineered from the ground up - using the latest info regarding the hero prop.

Hopefully they get it done.

Good news indeed. Though even though Rich may let off of them, this time around they may be in competition with officially licensed merchandise and their lawyers. We will see, and I can't wait to see it regardless.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Andy...it's one thing to make whisky bottles, it's another to make the gun and to run afoul of the copyright laws. Only time will tell Wink
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't every maker be fighting copyright laws if they make official props for the new film? I mean... then everybody is basically f*cked... not just this run?!
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy one.
Sarednab
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Yep, Andy...it's one thing to make whisky bottles, it's another to make the gun and to run afoul of the copyright laws. Only time will tell Wink

Thanks Buch for this thread! Glad to see that people know our "direction" for this 2017.
Btw, joberg, you really think that made bottle is easy? Believe me, it isn't!
Regarding gun, we already have experience with this blaster, years and years of experience due michelle's work with Siderio. Now we'll change it but the blaster itself will be on the same street of the old one. This will be a evolution of the old SidKit.
Regarding law, in Italy there is a law that cover artist to sell a limited number of a item ONLY in a club/board.
We'll sell it on rpf and we'll not be against the law.

Btw we'll need time for it so we'll not need to know who want it or who don't want.
When the moment will arrive we'll open a thread on rof and people that want it will be put in list with limited spot
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarednab wrote:
Thanks Buch for this thread! Glad to see that people know our "direction" for this 2017.

You're welcome! I'm really excited about this run... hope you'l pulll it off! Will be watching theRPF Very Happy
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for one.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Perenchio, who is now the sole person still alive in the Blade Runner Partnership since bud Yorkin past away, was always cool with fan made stuff and small runs. I think Rich would probably be ok, but Tomenosuke could be in trouble. Still, it will probably come down to who actually gets the rights to do it, and what their Lawyers decide. I will buy almost all official stuff. It supports the cause. I do hope that Jerry has changed his mind about offering product for the film and will open up the license even for some cheesy stuff. We shall see. I am keeping my expectations low, but I am still excited.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarednab, I didn't say that making that bottle was easy; I said that making a bottle (which is made, from time to time by small makers in small quantities)is not registering on anyone's copyright law, that's what I meant.

Making a gun (and there's quite the big player Tome in there)might be another ball game altogether.

If WB decides to make the "Official Deckard Blaster" from this BR movie, maybe they'll shut down any attempts to do the same from other makers doing so right now.

Hopefully, it doesn't come to that...only time will tell.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they want my money for an official blaster, they better do good....
Dascoyne
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't imagine how an "officially licensed" version is going to compare to the research and detail that goes into blasters from the prop community. "Officially licensed" products are, by definition, designed to maximize the profit margin, typically through sales volume. That means cutting corners in terms of materials, parts and manufacture to drive down cost. Why would anyone go through the trouble of tapping threads into a metal receiver for a forged machine screw when you can simply whip up a MIM receiver with mock screws for pennies?

Mass production means the design and manufacture will be contracted out to someone who may not share the same obsessive passion for the prop(s) - otherwise I'd expect them to have already been involved with the community. And, it would be a sad day indeed if they decide to take action against other blaster makers.

Last edited by Dascoyne on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:50 pm; edited 9 times in total
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^this
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the concern; Rick Ross came up with his versions of the gun (as DaveG also), Rich has the best one so far.
Others have a share of the market (Off-World, Tome, etc...) and I wish all the success to Sarednab (his bottle was very well made for sure)...
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't envision anything better than the Toku-san version of the Tomenosuke that I already own but I'm more than happy to see people try. Smile

Good luck guys! We'll be eager to see what it looks like.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: OFFICIALLY INACCURATE Reply with quote

In my experience, "officially licensed" means "officially inaccurate". From the early days of prop kits at small conventions in the 1980's, to the 2000's and Icons, Master Replicas and the like, things did improve, but they were seldom (if ever) accurate - either from lack of reference or intentional fraud, and for the most part, anything officially endorsed was approved more on the basis of studio politics and percentages, than any regard for accuracy.

Although the curious blindness of Bud Yorkin is behind us, we can only dream. Ideally a more open fan relationship, like that of the Star Wars franchise (vs. the disturbing recent conflict with CBS and Trek) might develop.

All that aside, having dealt with Sarednab, I am a fan and would love to see what they could produce. And whether or not imperfect in some collector's eyes, Tomenosuke has done a remarkable job as well, taking it to a new level. Had Rich had access to the tech available today, he might have continued to be the lead. But his efforts over the past decades must always be recognized as key in keeping interest alive, as he sought to discover the details wherever and whenever they were revealed leading up to the WorldCon discovery. But I must reflect back on my first kit, the one that really renewed my interest - the original PKD from Rick Ross. His original contributions have continued to expand the imagination and this universe, to the benefit of our collections.

it remains to be seen where '2049' will take us and our obsessions, but we will always have the original.

As sequels go, let's hope we "Have A Better One!"- R13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: