FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
TESTED - Lets build a Blade Runner Blaster - Part 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: TESTED - Lets build a Blade Runner Blaster - Part 1 Reply with quote

Adam , Norm and Mark Dubeau assemble their blaster kits

(Unfortunately a Premium TESTED Member viewing only at this stage)

http://www.tested.com/premium/589868-lets-build-blade-runner-blaster-part-1/

Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withholding this assembly video from all but "premium" members stinks, IMHO. Is there 'critical' information contained within? If not, I fail to see the logic in it.. Confused
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too... Confused
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The logic is that they are trying to run a business and help all the people involved pay their rent.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much get that, and I may subscribe as I really love their stuff. I will say that $40/year seems a bit steep, IMO.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just subscribed. Rich Coyle, if you're out there you should find a way to watch. Many kind words being spoken about you.
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The logic is that they are trying to run a business and help all the people involved pay their rent.

At what point did TESTED become a "business?" At this stage of my life, I'm really getting tired of self-important celebrities wanting to charge something for virtually everything they say or do. It's a trend I could really do without..
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked on all kinds of projects and it takes a good crew of smart people to do what Tested does. And offices. And equipment. And time. And labor. And travelling...

Cool shit costs money and that has to come from somewhere.

Adam is only a small part of that venture. A figurehead for a whole team of people working really hard.

40 bucks does feel a little steep, but I'm sure they've sat down and crunched the numbers and have tried hard to figure out what makes sense to try and keep the lights on. It's hard to make money just writing articles and making videos of any quality in our current digital age clickbait and listicles. It's also mostly quirky longform optional content behind the pay wall. It's made for the hardcore viewer who wants to give back to the project.

They are trying to make something worthwhile and ultimately beneficial to the world. There are easier ways to make money. And easier ways to make vanity projects.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much what he said. I've worked in television for 27 years and it costs money to produce things. The guys shooting and editing these have to make a living somehow. Sure, they could put the videos on YouTube and make money from subscribers but then you'd be looking at ads and who wants that?

Only time will tell if their particular model works. I think that it depends on what "extras" their subscribers get. Something is worth whatever people will pay for it.
kevdeo
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also work in the production industry, but I think their particualr approach is a little out of touch. We live a media world where people want the content for free.

From a business perspective, I think they'd make a LOT more money through better merchandising.

If Adam sold a custom set of toolboxes with his whole "first order retrieval" thing, I'd be in.

If they did a set of custom tools whipped by Adam, I'd be in.
If Adam did an art dept / modeling / tips book, I'd probably be in.
Or tested-branded kits, or tested-branded 3D prints, etc

But the premium subscription leaves me thinking "ug, that's irritating." I'm down to spend money with them, just not on the core video content.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, back on topic.

youtube.com/user/kevdeovideo
instagram.com/kevdeo
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're making good points Kev and, as you said, if they were marketing/producing stuff, I would be willing to pay for it.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevdeo wrote:
I also work in the production industry, but I think their particualr approach is a little out of touch. We live a media world where people want the content for free.

From a business perspective, I think they'd make a LOT more money through better merchandising.

If Adam sold a custom set of toolboxes with his whole "first order retrieval" thing, I'd be in.

But the premium subscription leaves me thinking "ug, that's irritating." I'm down to spend money with them, just not on the core video content.

If you are comparing the number of people that would watch instructional videos to the amount of people that would want purchase a custom tool set, then the second group is going to be exponentially smaller. Factor in the cost of production for those items and I doubt that there is much of a profit margin, even with geeks like us out there. Smile

If I were them I'd try and sell it to Netflix or Amazon. Jerry Seinfeld just took his Comedians in Cars series over to Netflix.
kevdeo
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus7 wrote:
kevdeo wrote:

If you are comparing the number of people that would watch instructional videos to the amount of people that would want purchase a custom tool set, then the second group is going to be exponentially smaller. Factor in the cost of production for those items and I doubt that there is much of a profit margin, even with geeks like us out there. Smile

You'd be surprised.

For smaller, web-based productions with loyal followers, this works pretty damn well. You don't need everyone to buy, just the super fans. And they, statistically, buy a lot. You are right though, you need to smart about the production of your merchandising. Need to start with a few smart, easy to manufacture options.

Case study: Flite Test

They're making a fortune on their branded products and kits. Enough to fund the entire series, and a full staff.

Unless you cross into mammoth success with major distributor (Netflix, etc), this is the way it's trending. At least, if you want to avoid showing a loss on your books Smile

youtube.com/user/kevdeovideo
instagram.com/kevdeo
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: