FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Building ANOTHER Shooter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect to everyone robustly debating the blued blaster vs the bare steel blaster, this is not the place fella's.

This is eltee's thread about his fascinating build so lets get back to topic so that he can at least get a word in edgeways..

Regards

MARK

racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact this is partly eltee's own question, he is trying to make up his mind on Blued or bare...

I know as we have talked about it as well.

So the discussion to at lease decide which is what the real prop was is on subject.

Then at least he can say, "I know it is **** on the real thing so I went with****** because I felt it was right..or because I love the look of*****.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I don't disagree Rich but lets be honest, this thread become the subject of a more than usually robust grumble regarding the finish - all of which has been discussed at length before.

I believe that we can argue that eltee's question was more about seeking an opinion rather than calling for a strident dissertation

Regards
MARK

racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK no problem, I am sick and tired of this fuss any why...

I agree I have proven it a number of times.

I am out of here.

R
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong with a healthy debate about this especially as the OP is discussing finish options. Plus I have nothing but respect for Rich and Eltee and there contributions to the Blade Runner world.

This project is awesome and of great interest to people who are doing real shooters like myself.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue, for me, has always been that it doesn't seem to look exactly the same in any two photographs. Smile
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why you have to study all the pictures you can find and then you see a consensus of what your are seeing.

All of the picture I looked at supported the lighter receiver and bulldog with the black covers, black ammo housing and clip and black pistol grip frame with black paint on the bottom of the butt plate.

ON movie sets specially old movie sets light reflection from those OLD Kreg Lights was a problem from ANY shinny surface so they had dulling paints and sprays to kill it.

These paints and sprays can change the color shown in a picture or the film, depending on how the light and what light is hitting it. (some times they will light a set with color lights or gels..)

Also a number of the shots in the film were changed from daylight to night time shots chemically.

This also can effect ho all colors look.

Rich

PS I was on a set where the prop master was using HAIR SPRAY, colored hair spray to touch up painted surfaces and he told me he COULD use hair sprays but NO paint, because if he used paint the painter's union would cause a fuss...but there was no hair sprayer's union...and the painters could not fuss as it was ONLY hair spray.
Robotprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and it's not permanent when you need to dull something rented or on a location that you would like to return to one day.
The standard for such things is "Streaks 'N Tips" coloured hair spray or even Arrid for dulling. Krylon makes a removable dulling spray that we use quite a bit. It's unlikely one of these were used on the blaster but putty might have been used to remove any highlights in the close ups.
That's only one of the problems.
No two still cameras that have ever pictured the blaster have been set to the same F-stop or ISO or even been in remotely the same conditions that were seen on film over 30 years ago. And now it's all digital.
In addition, every computer screen is set differently so the colours change in slight ways for everyone. That's why we have Pantone colours in print. You set the values or the Pantone number and it always comes out the same even if it looks a bit different on the screen.
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL the same discussion again. This feels like 2002! I have been a firm believer that the blaster never had a blued look, the bluing was removed prior to shooting. Of course with dark steel is so hard to tell, as its a surface that catches surrounding colors hues being a dark grey, plus the high shine won't help either.

I kind of started that old thread back in RPF. Most of my observations where proven to be right (even if some people in the "known" said contrary).

To me, the Steyr parts in the blaster are medium dark polished steel. Besides that, I'm happy everyone has their own idea of how the gun has to look.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should note that it is not a dark steel in its natural state. Remove the blued finish and you see bright, light colored metal.

Rifles without a finish applied are called "in the white" and this photo shows my Steyr with cuts, exposing the natural metal color.

eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Update 07/09/16 Barrels Reply with quote

We're working on two receivers but only had one barrel so the lathe was fired up and the program initiated. .44 caliber commercial barrel stock was cut to length, turned, crowned, threaded with shoulder and lede.

[/img]
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Update 07/09/16 Receivers Reply with quote

Both receivers are done with cutting and milling. The Steyr hardened steel receiver was a nightmare on cutting heads. We are using a commercial grade Lagun mill but we ended up using 1 1/2 cutters per receiver.

Also shown is a barrel fitting nicely in one of the receivers.

eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Update 07/09/16 Coyle Bolt Fit Reply with quote

We have a Rich Coyle replica Steyr bolt assembly as an exemplar. I put it into a Steyr receiver. As you can see, it fits perfectly.

eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Update 07/09/16 Bolt End Caps Reply with quote

The Steyr bolt end caps now have to be machined. There are no flat surfaces on the rear of these so solidly mounting them for milling will be a challenge. The silver one on the left is from Rich Coyle and we must machine the Steyr one on the right to match.

hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent progress!
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two receivers? Should you ever desire to shed yourself of such a burden, I'm right here Cool

A pleasure watching this come together, Eltee.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH NO YOU DON"T that other receiver is MINE...Really.
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

That's awesome, Rich. Now that I've seen the difficulty of machining the receiver, I've kind of backgrounded my hunt for the Steyr. I just wouldn't trust myself to not mess it up. A real parts blaster remains a grail prop, though. It's only fitting that you have an Ultimate Blaster after all blood, sweat, and tears you've dedicated to it over the years. Also, it's very cool your parts mate perfectly with the real deal.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great update on that shooter eltee! It is a very technical and precise work you`re doing and there's no room for mistake it seems.
Good to see that Rich's bolt assembly is fitting nicely into a real Steyr.

Keep up the great work Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: