FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Adam Savage meets Dan Lanigan and the Hero prop
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Adam Savage meets Dan Lanigan and the Hero prop Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITiJkdL5QEQ

I knew the gun's Steyr receiver was darker than many had been making it. good to see it in comparison with what looks like natural lighting. I really wish the video was longer though.

Andy
Robotprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding!
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is as it is aging, not well either.

Look at the film and it is brighter than. No rust for one thing.

I make a film accurate model, not a rusting old badly cared for prop.

I also leave out the damage like the cracked left side cover and the broken grip.

And I have the missing screw on mine because it was there in the film and well as was the slotted screw not the weaver knob.

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bluing was still mostly on there. The darkened color is not from rust. It was darker in the film for sure and at least stained by the bluing. I think they only barely took off the bluing just enough to see the guns details on film perhaps. Just enough to allow it to get a bit rusty and give it the warm hue, but it was always a lot darker than the butt plate which was raw metal/aluminum. The steel if bare would have been just as shiny, and it never was. It just doesn't look right with the bare metal looking receiver. It makes it look like it had pieces added that don't match the gun. The darker receiver makes it look like a matching, consolidated single unit, even with the black plastic parts. It doesn't contrast and clash that much, and it never has in any photo I have seen except those with bright direct lighting. Even then the steel still looked much darker than the raw metal. It looks aesthetically good, the brighter steel does not, pure and simple.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Andy...I don't know if I could keep my cool around that prop Shocked
So glad for Adam also!!
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I saw it with Karl BEFORE they mucked it up and rewired it, and other clean ups...

Rich
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
The bluing was still mostly on there. The darkened color is not from rust. It was darker in the film for sure and at least stained by the bluing. I think they only barely took off the bluing just enough to see the guns details on film perhaps. Just enough to allow it to get a bit rusty and give it the warm hue, but it was always a lot darker than the butt plate which was raw metal/aluminum. The steel if bare would have been just as shiny, and it never was. It just doesn't look right with the bare metal looking receiver. It makes it look like it had pieces added that don't match the gun. The darker receiver makes it look like a matching, consolidated single unit, even with the black plastic parts. It doesn't contrast and clash that much, and it never has in any photo I have seen except those with bright direct lighting. Even then the steel still looked much darker than the raw metal. It looks aesthetically good, the brighter steel does not, pure and simple.

Andy

I agree with this. No way the Steyr receiver was stripped down to carbon steel for a 4 month wet shoot. That thing would have been rusted over after the second day of filming. I've said it before to me it looks like about 85-90% of the original blueing was on the hero during filming.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff!

The blueing on my Toku-san is actually closer than I had expected it to be.

racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my reaction to the discussion on my face book as it is easier to post pictures.

I DISAGREE, and I have the pictures to prove it there. At lease to my eye.

Rich
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see Dan sharing this piece as well as his other props. He's a terrific collector and I'm glad he's found the time to share..

I hear what Rich says about the current state of the blaster and I couldn't agree more with his comments about how shocking the restoration was - especially regarding the wiring. For the rest, I personally LOVE the fact that this prop is tired and weathered because like so many historical items of interest, they are seldom (if ever) in pristine condition - its testimony to the road they have walked and the passage of time.

While I am generally in agreement with Andy about the finish, I disagree with Rich about what is special about the current prop because (for me) the rust, weathering and damage are all so much part of Ridley's Blade Runner world (wet. dysfunctional and weary) that I would have felt cheated had it been in any other condition.

In fairness, this is the difference between what the blaster means to a prop purist (every detail needs to be precisely right and if possible, the prop should be in perfect condition) and what it means to a behind the scenes movie production fan (love it for its history and take it as it is).

It represents different things to different people and THIS is why we all love this hobby so..

Thanks Andy.
Regards
MARK

phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so awesome!

And I think I know exactly how he feels.

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My envy is growing Wink

Andy
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the owner do for a living? Because I think I need to do the same thing! LOL
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's an entertainment executive.

http://theco.com/dan-lanigan/
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know which grips Adam Savage used on his replica?

They look very orange compared to the tawny gold amber of the original. If we know who's grips he used, it would be a good comparison basis for making the correct colour grips for ourselves.....

Karl
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my money, the blued Tomenosuke is the best representation of a 'new' blaster. It's my observation that there's been some sour grapes here about the real hero prop. I don't understand the on-going disdain some seem to harbor regarding this iconic item. It is what it is. It has provenance. It has gravitas. It is the one and only. All others are simply copies and will never be anything else but copies no matter how hard they try or how close they get. We all need to let it go and just enjoy the replicas that are available to us. That being said, flame away if you must...
Bwood
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:
He's an entertainment executive.

http://theco.com/dan-lanigan/

from his page...

Quote:
Dan holds a A.D.&D. in Númenórean Art Appreciation at Tolkien University.

I talked to him briefly after I found out he owned the Hero gun, and found him a seriously nice guy (and a fellow nerd). I think I recall him saying that he may have a secret account on here, so yes, I am kissing up Wink LOL

Seriously, I am duly impressed by him, and everyone I know that had dealt with, or knows him will say the same. Still he was very reluctant to "come out the basement" as the owner of this prop, because he knew the craziness that has surrounded it in the past. I hope he never regrets it and continues to share more about it.

Andy
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my stand on this silver/gray/blued issue, I held the Blaster at the 2006 Worldcon, and yes it was already somewhat dark from age and rust, but I could plainly see that removing the rust and a little polish it would have cleaned up as a bright non blued steel gun.

Now I have the word of a photo expert that the film was artificially darken in the lab, a day for night shoot. This caused a color shift that in the shots of Deckard shooting Zora, the gun and most details were turned olive drab green, which at one point made me think the shooter used was olive drab and this was how they kept the hero close up model from the real firing prop.

So combining this knowledge of the doctored film and my own viewing or the real prop and adding in a number of stills showing a brighter receiver and barrel and bulldog frame all of a like color I an 95% sure the real prop, some 20 years ago on the set was more silver than blued and that they did apply a dulling spray which would also cause some color shift.

SO MY models are made like new as the prop would have been at the time it was issued to Deckard.

I also feel the prop has only gotten darker as it ages even more.

So it depends on what you want, a Like new model or a on the set model or as the found at Worldcon with all the damage, ware and tare, the rust, the darken aged steel, the broken grip, the mud in the grips, the broken side cover, the badly sanded grip frames above the butt plate and the cut wires.
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All film seen in the cinema and consequently on TV, DVD and Bluray, etc. has been graded for brightness, contrast and colour. Sometimes to correct the image, but more often as a creative choice on the parts of the Director, Cinematographer and Editor.

So, no prop seen on the screen will ever appear that way to the eye in daylight.

A good example of this is the Pulse Rifle from Aliens. For years everyone thought the PRs were OD green. They were in fact brown.

It's therefore near impossible to say with absolute certainty what the prop looked like lit on set, on the day......

Karl
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you, same thing with TOS uniforms...

And the Red coats in the Movies..St2/3/4 etc.

So as I can clearly see the Bluing was removed and that under the rust and gray was bare steel I then see hints of that in many stills I deduce it WAS raw steel.

So it is film color/detailing , found color and detailing or today's color and detailing.

All are different.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: