FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
1/6 scale Spinner thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: 1/6 scale Spinner thread Reply with quote

The 1/6 scale spinner threads at the RPF. For those with the 1/6 scale Deckard Figures this one could be a the best ever. Not quite studio, but not small either. I say just go in and show some support gang. I really want to see this thing done.

http://therpf.com/showthread.php?t=29833

http://therpf.com/showthread.php?t=27014
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of getting the Gene Winfield graphics for this?
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the Irish guy was right; the interest for it seems dead. It is odd too with all the attention.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masao wrote:

What do you mean by "Gene Winfield graphics"?...as far as I know Syd Mead and Tom Southwell did the original Graphics for the spinner, and this guy did them for Gene's restoration of the Sci Fi museum flying spinner.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Masao wrote:

What do you mean by "Gene Winfield graphics"?...as far as I know Syd Mead and Tom Southwell did the original Graphics for the spinner, and this guy did them for Gene's restoration of the Sci Fi museum flying spinner.

"Gene Winfield graphics" as seen in the shots from his shop during the restoration. Not a reflection on the originator, rather, a quick handle. Interestingly, you knew exactly what I meant, so why ask??

Thanks for the link.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I thought maybe he did a custom set of graphics for the spinner on his own. He has been known to do such things when restoring vehicles. Also it may have gone through a few different itterations before what we saw on the screen. I was hoping you had some inside information.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was just requesting information and it seemed like you were nitpicking.

As a rule; nitpicking is a good thing for getting work done. It tends to slow communication when used as an answer to questions though.

The reason I asked was to get as close to the actual graphics as possible.

I guess the next question I should ask is: Does anyone here know these people personnally? And: Can anyone here help get a set?

Thanks.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full size or for what miniature?

I know Phil S. sells sets for the Anubus kit and the Back to the Future version, not sure how accurate they are. I am also not sure if Shapestorm is a member here or not yet under any of his names, but you could always contact him through his website.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Irish Spinner is not really 1/6. Shouldn't it have its own topic then?
arc60
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It's easy enough for me to start a new topic, but I confess i don't know how to transfer Anson's Spinner photos and the correspondence to the new Topic folder.

Mods? Could you do this for us, please? Thank you!

Alan
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do...
Aegis159
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Full size or for what miniature?

I know Phil S. sells sets for the Anubus kit and the Back to the Future version, not sure how accurate they are. I am also not sure if Shapestorm is a member here or not yet under any of his names, but you could always contact him through his website.

Phil's set is accurate. It doesn't have all of the markings seen on the vehicle though...Specifically any of the markings seen on the windshield.
BE's set for the restored spinner is accurate as well, but of course they were done full size, he'd have to scale them. Drop him a line, he might help you out if you need a smaller scaled set.
Finbladerunner
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry a bit offtopic, but I recently did find this spinner auction:

http://www.premiercollect.com/Blade-Runner-Urethane-Spinner-Car-model-made-for-production-but-not-screen-used,name,101734,auction_id,auction_details

Images might help someone to build similar one, however this was light urathane model.

BTW: Same auctionhouse does have also some nice BR storyboard copies. Genuine? Don't know.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one just like this a while back off evilbay, I'm pretty sure now that its a recast off someone else's kit. I don't know who's kit, but its a pretty well detailed for a model that size. Mine came with the front wheel pods unattached and it looked like someone had taken a hacksaw to the model they cast it off off, not a very clean fit. I certainly wouldn't pay the prices their asking without some serious bonafides that it was production made.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is the cleanest casting of this model I have ever seen, that price is way too high for a non-screen used model with missing parts.

Even if it were complete; this particular model is little more that a vague guide for building larger models like a 1/6 version. There are several details that are simply incorrect...even though is was made during the film!
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this project will stand up and grow some hair. I see there is some recent activity at the RPF.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get this topic up to speed, I have seen various important information come out that bears repeating here:

1: There were in fact 3 full-sized Spinner cars built. There were 3 numbers on the Spinners: 47, 44, 54. One was the flying Spinner (44) and the other two were drivable.

2: The scale models were several 1/250 (approx.) scale Spinners, 2 1/12 scale spinners and one 1/4 scale (Paris) Spinner

3: There was also a full-sized set mock up cockpit (for interior shots) built.

4: Two of the Spinners still exist. The third may have been (probably has been) destroyed. This was car 54. The fate of the cockpit is unknown. The Japanese Spinner seems to have disappeared. This was number 47. It had the black steering wheel. The flying Spinner 44 is now in Seattle, fully restored.

5: Car 54 was the fully dressed Spinner that toured the country promoting the film. It is easily distinguished by its unique hubcaps and interior detail. This would have been ideal for use as the basis for any model. 54 was the yellow Spider Car in Back to the Future 2.

6:All of the cars were slightly different and had unique features. None of the cars followed the plans/blueprints exactly.

7: A 1/6 scale Spinner would be 15.' 5" /6 = 30.83" Approximately a 3' model. (An exact Paris Spinner-sized model is 46.26" or 4')

There is some debate right now if the 1/6 should even be made or whether the 1/4 scale should be pursued instead. Creating a 1/6 model would be close to $200 just for raw materials!

That is all the info I have been able to gather for now.

BTW, the Spinner model that occasionally shows up on ebay can be found on the UCE disc set. It was apparently made as a souvenir for the crew. It appears to be incomplete though. There might be parts to complete the car -floating around out there someplace. Even so, It is not an accurate representation of the Spinners as seen in the film!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masao wrote:

BTW, the Spinner model that occasionally shows up on ebay can be found on the UCE disc set. It was apparently made as a souvenir for the crew. It appears to be incomplete though. There might be parts to complete the car -floating around out there someplace. Even so, It is not an accurate representation of the Spinners as seen in the film!

If you are talking about the one being held by Frank Darabont (I will check spelling later), it was the Anubis spinner made by Rick Wyatt and Dave Barkovitz (and a bit of help from Paul Francis) in the early 90's. You are right in that it is inaccurate, but mostly in proportions (it is too narrow mostly). otherwise I was surprised on how accurate it was, considering all the variable details I have seen from screen made models and cars. many of the smaller details and unreferenced ones at the time were guessed upon most likely. It was a garage kit after all Wink I will have to ask Dave about some of his references used to let you all know more.

Personally I can't afford a 3' model so if someone makes a studio scale 4' model it won't make much difference. I know a lot of collectors, including well paid ones that are suffering from diminishing space and as a result will also likely pass on it. I guess for something that size you only need to sell a few at a very high price to make it a worthwhile venture. Everybody knows Blade Runner can do it though. I do know, that if they made it 1:6 scale it would sell for a long time and to a lot more people, and only the "SS" snobs would end up crying foul.

Andy
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I think you said it best about the large spinner being cost prohibitive. Comet Miniatures wants £299 just for their 1/24 scale. It is my opinion as well, that cost is the main factor influencing the lack of interest in the larger models.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Comet Miniatures one is mostly Die cast metal though. Still, cross collectors of Blade Runner and Syd Mead drive these prices up. Of course that was before the recession.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: