FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Best DVD version?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xardoz
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Best DVD version? Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm rediscovering BR after many years away and want to add it to my DVD library - is there any particular version that is considered the best? I'm wary of "director's cuts" versions after "The Warriors" got butchered, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if there's a definite release date, but a multi disc DVD version is coming out soon--supposed to have the theatrical, first Director's Cut and new 25th Anniversary Director's Cut on it.
xardoz
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but from what I've read, the "ultimate director collector's cut mega disk box set" sounds like so much vaporware - It's been what, five years in the making?

If it appears, I'll likely buy it, but I want something NOW! Mad

I'd like to have the "narationless" version, and there seem to be a couple of different packages, unless I'm mistaken.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this moment there are only two versions on DVD (not bootlegs). Both happen to be of the same movie, the 1992 Directors Cut. The more current one(printed in 2006) was made from a better copy of the film and was digitally remastered. It would be the one to get. The 'other' DVD out there is from the early age of DVD and isn't the best copy, but worth the $5 you can find them for. The earlier disc also has both the widescreen and full screen versions on one disc. The Remastered 2006 disc has much better picture and usually sells for under $15. In order to watch any other version of the movie at this point you would need to have a VHS player, Laser Disc player or buy a less than professionally put together bootleg made from one of those sources.

Just for the record too, the new set is in no way 'vaporwear'. The only thing that kept it from being done almost '7' years ago was licensing troubles, and those have all been worked out this past year. Unlike companies with no capital, studios do not spend big money to advertise something unless it is going to happen. They might not always put in every bell and whistle in the end, but it will come out. It is pretty much done and just waiting for the prime release date now.

andy
xardoz
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy - I'll shoot for the 2006 disk for now.

You mentioned the new set being advertised - sorry, I hadn't seen actual ads anywhere, just rumors on various forums and blogs. That does put it into a different light.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an insert in the Matrix HD box set for the BR 25th anniversary set. You can also see the TV ad for it shown during the AFI special on youtube. After Comicon this coming weekend I am sure a lot more is going to be heard, and seen.
LA2019
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Best DVD version? Reply with quote

xardoz wrote:
Hey,

I'm rediscovering BR after many years away and want to add it to my DVD library - is there any particular version that is considered the best?

Wait for the box if you're willing to put out some money, it will be the best thing next to a Nexus 6 Pleasure model (and we have to wait for those)

The box will include different versions (including the workprint as far as I know) and the new Final Cut (with lost scenes added and minor flaws fixed) and a spinner load of extras..

You can also wait for the new Final Cut which I think will be released as a single disc.

amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best DVD version? Reply with quote

LA2019 wrote:
xardoz wrote:
Hey,

I'm rediscovering BR after many years away and want to add it to my DVD library - is there any particular version that is considered the best?

Wait for the box if you're willing to put out some money, it will be the best thing next to a Nexus 6 Pleasure model (and we have to wait for those)

The box will include different versions (including the workprint as far as I know) and the new Final Cut (with lost scenes added and minor flaws fixed) and a spinner load of extras..

You can also wait for the new Final Cut which I think will be released as a single disc.

I hate to say it, but everytime I read something like this about the upcoming release, I get a little excited!

I cannot wait!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am worried that the workprint will be changed, at least the music. Much of what is in it is not licensed by Warner Brothers, and one song in particular by Brian Eno and David Byrne was taken off of their own album(My Life in the Bush of Ghosts) because of protest by Islamic groups. The song is 'Quran' and it contained recordings of people reciting the Quran. I like this song better than the repeating of the Vangelis 'Damask Rose' through the entire scene. If only they could redo a similar song without the samples of the Quran.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: