FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Your thoughts on BR related games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Your thoughts on BR related games Reply with quote

Last week I saw a Blade Runner board game sell for over $100 on ebay. Meanwhile the -IMHO- kick ass computer game only sells for an average of $10.

I wonder if with the release of the "final cut" if we might see something new from a console game company.

I was curious how many members here game (I am a once in a while PS2, and N64 player) but I loved the BR computer game and played it pretty much non-stop until I finished her. (with the help of bladezone tips and tricks mind you)

What would we like to see in a new BR game?

First person shooter? A mystery style game? Something immersive that would serve "the world" Ridley gave us, like Matrix online? Maybe we can fly a spinner, or run across rooftops.

Do we want to play Deckard, Batty, maybe a new BR hunting Deckard and Rachel?

Damn, I think I'll go pop the DVD in and do some drawing. I owe someone a BR illustration!

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PC game was fun for sure. I got the board (bored) game, back when you could pick them up for $30-$40. It was so non-inspirational that I turned it around for double what I paid and never looked back. I would love either a FPS or 'Myst' style adventure game (imagine with Vangelis background music and the ambient movie sounds). Something 3D and immersive.
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Time Warner really understood what they had bought when they bought the rights from Blade Runner back from Jerry Perenchio, they would set to work immediately on a BR-universe MMORG. This is perhaps the only online game I would get involved with at this point.

The gaming universe would literally have to be massive: Planet Earth c. 2019, plus all the Off-World colonies. You could be a Rep-Detect, of course. But that would be only one of many character types.

It is never quite detailed what is going on in the Off-World colonies. At the very least, things are obviously not going along swimmingly. Apparently some of the worlds the Terrans set off to colonize are not uninhabited, and the inhabitants are intelligent enough to not cotton to being colonized. Hence the replicant mercs, and probably human mercs and human regular military personnel as well. There would be lots of opportunities for non-combatants and random adventurer types as well, I would think.

There are so many other aspects of life in this near-future (I guess by necessity now you would have to consider this a parallel-history Earth that has forked somewhere in the period between 1980 and 2000) that this would be a very rich game. There would likely be need for gamers to almost become content creators to extend things.

Such a game would be great...possibly even dangerously addictive.

Failing that, I'm sure a Rep-Detect first person shooter would be fun for a while.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I always kind of thought the film "Outland" with Sean Connery might (and which was released before BR) fit into the "offworld" blade runner ideal. Not a perfect film, but it had some interesting ideas in it. Perhaps it's the reason they started using replicants to work offworld to begin with.
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
Ya know, I always kind of thought the film "Outland" with Sean Connery might (and which was released before BR) fit into the "offworld" blade runner ideal. Not a perfect film, but it had some interesting ideas in it. Perhaps it's the reason they started using replicants to work offworld to begin with.

The "Alien" movies also seem to have a similar feel. It's probably no accident that carried over, what with the first one and BR having a director in common.

Soldier is supposedly set in the BR universe. Haven't seen it, can't comment on it.

There is lots and lots of fodder for extending the BR universe in anime. Considering that the first place BR became iconic was Japan, it's not surprising. The most interesting ideas come from the Ghost In The Shell movies and TV series. GITS is perhaps the most successful marriage of the BR world with true Cyberpunk.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time Warner only got the right for the movie distribution. Bud and Jerry still own the movie's copyrights.

I have a feeling that 'Offworld' also refers to moon and space station colonies, maybe Mars. If you can combine overpopulation with shrinking habitable areas of the Earth, I am sure more money would be funneled into space exploration. Unfortunately(or otherwise) war usually takes care of population issues.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we are assuming a lot.

I am reminded of a PKD story where there was a devistating war on Earth and the population left robots to fight it out while retreating undeground.

The inhabitants waited and assumed a lot.

The robots dutifully filed reports of the carnage and destruction. They reported the state of the poisoned surface and the hopeless deadlock of the war.

This is all kind of like the war in the colonies.

Assumptions can lead to very funny results.

If a game were to be made it would have to be more encompassing than just the limited view of BR.

-BR has been done.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I posted once on Bladezone on how the whole offworld thing was a ruse that never existed, and that all of the true humans had already died leaving behind a bunch of 'artificials' that thought they were the humans. It would be very 'Twilight Zonesque'.
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I think I posted once on Bladezone on how the whole offworld thing was a ruse that never existed, and that all of the true humans had already died leaving behind a bunch of 'artificials' that thought they were the humans. It would be very 'Twilight Zonesque'.

Wow...interesting theory.
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: thats fine... Reply with quote

well, thats all well and good about the online thing (though this type of play gets expencive and limiting for those that dont currently have online access at home ) but really I would love a game with the size of a GTA or a metal of honor and the look of the pc game without all the stop motion looking attack rats lol.I want to fly a spinner around office towers and shoot at sexy replicants on streets crowded with cigarette stands and wet pollution...if I want reality I will shut off the TV and go outside.YES jumping from rooftop to rooftop or zooming in evidence photos ....man ! and with modern graphics being better all the time something like this would or may be as exciting as the film!
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="andy"]I think I posted once on Bladezone on how the whole offworld thing was a ruse that never existed, and that all of the true humans had already died leaving behind a bunch of 'artificials' that thought they were the humans. It would be very 'Twilight Zonesque'.[/quote]

Well in the PKD story; the war was real until all combat was left to the robots. They were androids really -being self aware. They not only analyzed strategies, but the meaning and purpose of the war itself. They concluded that this war had no legitimate purpose and decided on an alternate plan.

The first part was to continue the war as a simulation using scale models. They realized that man was too immature to live without war so the false war had to continue until man was ready to repopulate the surface.

Next, the robots kept sending false reports of the progress of the war while rebuilding what had been destroyed. Soon, every city and every location devastated by the war was rebuilt.

From time to time a human was sent to inspect the surface never to return. They were kept safe in the rebuilt world of the surface.

This was PKD at his nicest.

If a Dadoes version were to be the basis; it would be much darker and very 'Twilight Zonesque'.
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a game done mostly in the old mystery "point & click" adventure ala "Underneath a Steel Sky" with some FPS elements & some Spinner flying with a joystick. If the transitions were natural enough it might work. A fan game could be a good hope, some nice fan stuff has been done for Battlestar Galactica & Star Wars by building off of existing game engines.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="andy"]I think I posted once on Bladezone on how the whole offworld thing was a ruse that never existed, and that all of the true humans had already died leaving behind a bunch of 'artificials' that thought they were the humans. It would be very 'Twilight Zonesque'.[/quote]

It is more like A.I.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masao wrote:
andy wrote:

It is more like A.I.

Um...No not really, not the way I envisioned it.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone had acess to the Chrysis engine, a game might be possible.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Soldier is supposedly set in the BR universe. Haven't seen it, can't comment on it.

Your not missing a thing. It's a poorly executed action film from the maestro of bad action films Paul W. Anderson, who has peed in just about all of my favorite franchise pools now.

Handed to just about any one else in the DGA, and the movie would have been a lot better. The script really wasn't all that bad, and David Peoples wrote it as sort of a "Roy Batty" adventure, or as he called it "a sidequel to Blade Runner".
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented that stinker and it had zero to do with BR. They say "Tanhausser Gate" but its not the same thing as in BR. Its another B rate sci-fi action flick. Save yourself the trouble and don't bother.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who has Ureal Tournament 2003 for the pc can download this LA 2019 level, which is a highly detailed interpretation of the Blade Runner city with all the famouse land marks to walk around:

http://www.fileplanet.com/118901/110000/fileinfo/DM-2019:--Blade-Runner-UT2K3-DM

I'd highly recomend getting this game just to walk around this level. It's like a virtual tour of the area. You can go inside the Tyrel pyramid, taffy lewisis etc. You can pick Unreal 2003 on ebay for dirt cheap as it's a pretty old game.

There is also a game called BIOSHOCK, which is new. I played the demo and there is some massive Blade Runner influence there. They even play the inspots "If I didn't care" song in the background.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading an article, way back when Westwood first announced they were making a blade runner game, this was before they even had alpha build screenshots available.

It was a small box out article, but what caught my interest, aside from the obvious, was a snippet regarding the gameplay. It suggested that the game was originally conceived as much more of a simulation than an adventure game, where not only would who was a replicant be randomized with each new game, but also the cases would be random as well.

I'd like to see something like that done nowadays, where its more of a sandbox, where you get assignments from Bryant, some of which would involve testing suspected replicants using the VK machine, and others would be 'spot 'em and air 'em out' assignments where you'd have to pick up a clue trail to locate them and retire them. With a decent sized simulation of the LA sprawl with day/night and weather systems in place.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to see a take on the off world colonys too. would look great with all the next-gen graphics of today. who know's, maybe I'll work on it Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: