FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Help with back of credit card
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Help with back of credit card Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out the writing on the back of the credit card... It's going ok, but the second last sentence is very difficult to read.... Any of yu got an idea, what it says??

Here is the picture from the Tom Southwell thread:

And here's my "interpretation" of the text. I've highlighted the difficult part:

"See southern California telephone directories under “Automobile Club of Southern California”. Elsewhere see “AAA”

$5.000 BAIL BOND CERTIFICATE
When posted by the person whose signature appears on this card is entitled to be bonded by National Surety Corporation. Presentation of this Certificate is authority for any agent of the Corporation to execute bail bond not in excess of $5.000 for any violation of a motor vehicle law or ordinance committed prior to the expiration date shown on the card except violation arising from the use or possession intoxicating liquors, drugs or Narcotics, failure to appear on prior traffic violations or driving on a suspended or revoked driver’s license or permit bail bond service call local AAA or 12131/ 931 1571

GUARANTEED ARREST BOND CERTIFICATE (Not Valid in California)
National Surety Corporation guarantees the appearance of the defendant whose signature appears on this Certificate in any court in the United States where acceptable when arrested for any violation of a motor vehicle law or ordinance committed prior to the expiration date shown on the card except violation arising from the use or possession intoxicating liquors, drugs or narcotics, failure to appear on prior traffic violations or driving on a suspended or revoked driver’s license or permit. In the event said member fails to appear in court at the time of trial, the payment of any fine or forfeiture not in excess of $200 is hereby guaranteed. This is not an appeal bond All authorities are authorized to accept this Certificate in lieu of cash bail The member hereby agrees to notify his club at once if this card is used and agrees to reimburse the Club or National Surety Corporation for any losses they may sustain by reasonably assuring the Certificate ???. This Certificate is valid except where prohibited by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the violation is charged."

Hope some of you has some ideas!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By reasonably replacing the certificate?...difficult to read indeed.
Maybe others will chime in with a better version
The rest seems to jive with the original text.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: BEST GUESS INTERPRETATION Reply with quote

Although the text is soft (blurred) to begin with, depending on how this was assembled way back in the early 80's, I am guessing this might have been some kind of a dry transfer - custom made due to the color, OR it could be some kind of layered laminated sandwich, using transparencies. Hard to tell. Since Blade Runner was released before the advent of video tape these props were never expected to be viewed in detail, I would guess that the ink/toner/whatever never was that good, or else has distorted over time due to humidity or other factors.

Judging from the subject of the paragraph, my best guess is:

". . . by reason of posting this (or the) Certificate for bond. This Certificate . . ."

"posting" seems to have a line through the "o".
The word before "Certificate" could be a "the" or a "this", but the gap makes me think it is probably the latter.
"Certificate" is obviously correct. The last two words, although badly distorted seem to be " for" and "bond" - again a line through the "n" and a partially missing "d" are my best guess.

Tom Southwell may wish to chime in here. I can't recall if he has any detailed knowledge of this particular prop.

As you may note, on several of the other props, in particular the magazines, there are various misspelling (or typos). As Tom Southwell has mentioned, they were under the gun, with impossible deadlines, so mistakes happened.

Hope this helps.

Have A Better One! - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: IN ADDITION Reply with quote

I also noticed that it appears there is a comma behind "acceptable" in the second paragraph " . . . United States where acceptable, when arrested . . ." and again later after ". . . on the card, after . . ."

They are faint and appear as periods, but a comma would be correct.

Otherwise, nice work, Buch! - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: CLEAN CHANG Reply with quote

Short of attempting a trace, here is a cleaner signature, as well -

HAB1! -R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Replicant13...and good to read you again
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: RETURN TO 2019 Reply with quote

Thanks, Joberg. I thought PS was a goner, in spite of their hopeful note.

Glad it's back up and running. I hope those who contributed will check back in as well.

- R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: A FINAL GUESS Reply with quote

All of this may have been covered elsewhere previously, but using Buch’s interpretation here, I noticed some additional differences, so I've noted them below, in magenta and one optional correction to the original, in blue.

Since the beginning of the first paragraph is covered with white tape and Buch’s initial interpretation (in purple) causes the first line to extend too far to the right, I would suggest a shortened phrase like “The club member . . .”. It seems obvious that this was copied from an old AAA card, but aside from the name 'National Surety Corporation', the word “Club” or “club”, picked up from the “Automobile Club of Southern California” in the first line is used repeatedly, so it might be assumed that it would be used here as well.

As to what is under the tape at the bottom, it's anyone's guess. Perhaps someone else can help here (if it has not already been covered elsewhere here on PS or elsewhere).

HAB1! - R13
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad this thread has come alive again....

I like your ideas, Replicant 13, and think you have some solid arguments about the text...

I got an email from Tom Southwell concerning this text, and unfortunatly there's no more "evidence" than the pictures we've got here on Propsummit. His suggestion to the ones interested in recreating this prop was to be creative and fill in the blanks with some text that would match the Blade Runner universe.

By the way I've identified the Japanese signs on the card with help from some native japanese speakers....

ほかにも各種投映機がそ
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: CREATIVE LICENSE Reply with quote

Anders -

Thanks. Glad to help.

Yes, Tom has been very kind - a huge help to me and others here. We owe him for his generous contributions and all of the answers and reference he has posted here.

He offered the same suggestion to me, in my ongoing efforts to re-create and put my own spin on the magazine covers and accompanying ads I have posted here. After years of searching, he answered my "prayers" with information I doubt anyone else would know, remember or be so willing to share.

Otherwise, these tidbits - like the details on this card - will be lost. Like tears, in rain . . .

By chance, did you get an english interpretation of the characters as well?

Have A Better One! - Replicant 13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: MISINTERPRETATION Reply with quote

Something clarified by Tom Southwell earlier, as I was working to finalized my FASH magazine cover -

As you might expect back then, with no Google®, translation was difficult to obtain in a timely manner, so although some of the text was translated into Japanese characters, much of this was chopped up into sections, sometimes even splitting a character. Then it was used to fill out ares in layouts and give a multi-lingual feel to the props.

Such was the case with the eyebrow (header) atop the FASH layout. As revealed by Summit member TEMPONAUT, the sentence was cut in two, but then applied out of sequence, with one character cut down the middle - the result of the limitations of 80's technology and ridiculous deadlines. Of course now, a literal translation makes little sense.

HAB1! - R13
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work guys! I'm working with Buch on this and hopefully we can get a run of these going along with the other cards if there is enough interest Smile
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: CREDIT CHECK Reply with quote

Count me in! - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: BALDERTRACED Reply with quote

Did some searching for the font used in the "Balderdash" logo. I suspect the logo to be a pickup, either from the actual card used to create the prop, or from some other source. Either way, if it is a typeface I think it's been modified for the design. As yet I have not identified the base font, so I did a digital trace. Not perfect, but perhaps it helps . . .

I think I may already have a "NikOsey" traced somewhere.

HAB1! - R13
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah cool! Yeah if you can post the "NikOsey" and anything else that would be great. Will put you down on the production team
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Rep13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: ONE STEP FURTHER Reply with quote

Thanks again, all.

Skimming through a couple of resources, as suspected, wherever the "Balderdash" logo came from, it was an existing font manipulated - Windsor BT Elongated.

The obvious changes are in the modifications to the "r" and the "s', but the font in its original form is also too thin overall.

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting piece of info Rep13.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done. Just need to get it to the printers now Smile

Last edited by BeastMaster on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW - they look really cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: