FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Typo on beer cans?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Typo on beer cans? Reply with quote

I'm still looking at some older posts and came across a post by Skin Job where he posted an image of some Aspen beer cans.

Isn't it supposed to be "WeylanD Yutani"?
Or have I missed the train again? Very Happy Very Happy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have missed the train....

In other words, it's a well known fact among hardcore A L I E N fans : the "D" appeared in ALIENS (why, no one knows) but it was WEYLAN YUTANI in Sir Ridley's film.

Fred
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn...just one more inconsistency.

It's almost as if one director refuses to pay close attention to previous Alien movies, as if they are snubbing the previous Director.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Canuck wrote:
Damn...just one more inconsistency.

No inconsistency on my side since I consider the sequels never happened... The only other film related to Sir Scott's A L I E N is Blade Runner in my book.

retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“ One of the things I enjoyed most about Alien was its subtle satirical content. Science fiction films offer golden opportunities to throw in little scraps of information that suggest enormous changes in the world. There's a certain potency in those kinds of remarks. Weylan Yutani for instance is almost a joke, but not quite. I wanted to imply that poor old England is back on its feet and has united with the Japanese, who have taken over the building of spaceships the same way they have now with cars and supertankers. In coming up with a strange company name I thought of British Leyland and Toyota, but we couldn't use "Leyland-Toyota" in the film. Changing one letter gave me "Weylan," and "Yutani" was a Japanese neighbor of mine. ”
—Ron Cobb, "The Authorized Portfolio of Crew Insignias from The United States Commercial Spaceship Nostromo Designs and Realizations" by John Mollo and Ron Cobb

I do not believe Weylan-Yutani is in the script for Alien (as it was Cobb's creation instead of O'Bannon et al), and only appears in the film (legibly) on a computer screen on the bridge, so let's give James Cameron credit for including it in Aliens at all. Plus, "Weyland" is closer to the source of Ron's original joke anyway!

Also, the interlocking "WY" logo seen in Aliens is based on an unused Ron Cobb design for Alien.
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
No inconsistency on my side since I consider the sequels never happened... The only other film related to Sir Scott's A L I E N is Blade Runner in my book.

You refuse to consider that Aliens was related to Alien, yet you attribute that relationship to Blade Runner??

retrogarde: Thanks for the info.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Canuck wrote:
SKIN JOB 66 wrote:

You refuse to consider that Aliens was related to Alien, yet you attribute that relationship to Blade Runner??

Yes.
So what ?
Again it's just my opinion here.
If you love ALIENS and want to relate it to the first film (as it was intended) then I don't have any problem with that.
Brownclaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with SkinJob on this - Alien, Blade Runner and Outland all occur in MY sci fi universe.

All the rest are stand alone Smile
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "refuse to consider" might be a little strongly worded, especially in the context of this film series. If Fred "refused to consider" Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" a sequel to Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" then I would probably agree. Smile

Personally I love Aliens, respect Alien3 and refuse to consider Alien: Resurrection being related to Alien in any way. I know folks who won't even consider Alien3 part of the series, and so I respect Fred's choice to stick with just the original.

As for Alien and Blade Runner, I'm warming to the notion, but I still can't figure out the transition from Replicants to Androids. I think Charles de Lauzirika's joke is being taken as gospel by some (http://www.blastr.com/2012/10/prometheus-dvd-producer-r.php), but the possibility has existed long before Prometheus. Fred, what is your thought on this?
pnag
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on the androids/replicants (or Alien/Blade Runner) being in the same universe is fairly simple.

By the (fake) year 2019, we had genetic engineering capability enough to make the likes of the Nexus 6, but AI was still years away from producing a decent android.

By the time of Alien (year debatable? Or did you guys solve that? Smile ), we had realised our mistake with replicants (slavery, being 'too' human etc.) and so opted for products that emulated us, and that we could program to do exactly as we wanted. No problems with free will there!

Just my 2 cents Very Happy
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnag wrote:
My take on the androids/replicants (or Alien/Blade Runner) being in the same universe is fairly simple.

By the (fake) year 2019, we had genetic engineering capability enough to make the likes of the Nexus 6, but AI was still years away from producing a decent android.

By the time of Alien (year debatable? Or did you guys solve that? Smile ), we had realised our mistake with replicants (slavery, being 'too' human etc.) and so opted for products that emulated us, and that we could program to do exactly as we wanted. No problems with free will there!

Just my 2 cents Very Happy

Or it could simply be Beta vs VHS all over again.. Very Happy
pnag
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starrigger wrote:
Or it could simply be Beta vs VHS all over again.. Very Happy

Ha ha! Absolutely Smile But as with Beta vs VHS... Did the wrong product win?!? Should a replicant have been dispatched on the Nostromo, to kick the alien's ass?

No, actually, probably not Wink
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnag wrote:
we had realised our mistake with replicants (slavery, being 'too' human etc.) and so opted for products that emulated us, and that we could program to do exactly as we wanted. No problems with free will there!

For an interesting take on that, check out Lance Henriksen's interview here: http://alienseries.wordpress.com/

Pertinent quote: "“For him [Bishop], the world is xenophobic. He’s an alien to anything alive. He must be as careful as, say, a black man in South Africa, where you make a mistake and you’re out. You’re either replaced or you’re destroyed.”

He also describes the original idea for Bishop's introduction, which is pretty much identical to David's in Prometheus.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts guys; my question would be: if we're trying to make a fusion between Alien and BR I think the Android/Replicant question must be answered.

What kind of Android/Rep is Bishop in terms of technological vocabulary.
He's still synthetic, a machine but with what kind of memory/implants/orders from the Weylan?

Roy Batty, same kind or more advanced? Still synthetic but with another knowledge of life and existance around him? Memory/implants from Tyrell Corp...are they different than into the Bishop's model?

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread Embarassed
pnag
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you read "Do Androids Dream..." there's a 'scene' where J.R. Isidore can 'see' into the andys (andies?), their cogs and wires, etc. if memory serves.

In the movie though, I always took it that as genetically designed 'products', the replicants are not synthetic, but entirely organic. I don't think they have anything other than flesh and blood in them. When shot, they bleed regular blood?

Just my two cents (again) Smile
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They pretty much have to be flesh and blood or else a blood test or body scan would "detect" them, no need for a VK test.

Where it gets odd is the death throws of Pris and the rigid corpse of Zhora. These seemed more mechanical, yet not impossible for the human body.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, rigor mortis sets in after about an hour in a normal human body, so the stiffness of Zohra is quite rapid (the "stiff" comes from that event Wink )...unless Deckard's shots hit a particular component to make that stifness occur?
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrogarde wrote:

As for Alien and Blade Runner, I'm warming to the notion, but I still can't figure out the transition from Replicants to Androids. I think Charles de Lauzirika's joke is being taken as gospel by some (http://www.blastr.com/2012/10/prometheus-dvd-producer-r.php), but the possibility has existed long before Prometheus. Fred, what is your thought on this?

Well, I frankly don't mind too much about the validity of the android / replicant connexion between both films (to me they're roughly the same technology and purpose, like Starrigger said "Beta & VHS", the comparison is excellent), I was mainly talking here about the very close visual vibe both films have... Don't forget Sir Rid did them at the very beginning of his film director career, at a time where he was deeply influenced (I mean DEEPLY) by METAL HURLANT, the french, original version of Heavy Metal Magazine where you had artists such as Moebius and others.

That's with I consider both films as part of the same universe... the "METAL HUTRLANT universe", one could say.

I will add that Prometheus wasn't influenced at all by METAL HURLANT, it was influenced by nowadays SciFi blockbusters and the way they're designed and made, that's why it didn't break any new ground, that's why it's so boring (even from a visual POV), and that's definitely why it doesn't connect at all to the first ALIEN from my POV, even if both films shared elements such as the Space Jockey... and that's why Prometheus simply will never play in the same league as ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER (and I won't talk about Aliens, Alien3 and Alien Resurrection again here).

Fred
pnag
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
...That's with I consider both films as part of the same universe... the "METAL HUTRLANT universe", one could say.

Absolutely! I agree, and would argue to a small extent that Outland should be in there too.

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
I will add that Prometheus wasn't influenced at all by METAL HURLANT, ... that's why it's so boring (even from a visual POV)...

Personally, I disagree with you there. I loved that the vast majority of the Prometheus sets were built, 'real' and not CG, and could see the Alien influences everywhere on the Prometheus vessel - just to my mind it was a scientific expedition and not 'truckers in space', hence the smoother edges and better technology. It did look a bit too clean, but I thought it was the most visually striking sci-fi movie I had seen in years. Again, just personally Smile

Don't get me wrong - I think Alien and Blade Runner knock pretty much everything else into a cocked hat! I just thought it was nice to see a sci-fi movie that didn't rely on a toy line and a PG-13 or under rating. It was hardly flawless, but I found it thought provoking enough.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that pnag about Outland (we tend to forget that movie, made with basically the same crew that did Alien)...maybe Aliens is more in sinc with Prometheus? Btw, I likes Prometheus (not loved it) and I'm still on the fence for some of the final decisions from Ridley not to include certain things that would've made more sense in the end; but that's for another conversation altogether Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: