FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Tom Southwell Q & A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS with us Jason; always a pleasure to see your work and the effort you've put into it Cool
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Snake Pit Neon. Reply with quote

Tom Southwell wrote:
As I read an old thread (March 2008) about BR logos explored by Fred (Skin Job 66) I now feel I should give a hint where some ideas came from. I am flattered by his link to Herb Lubalin, a hero of mine, but I think I was sending a silent, non verbal wink to PKD and his cover artist.
TS

Thank you so much Tom for unveiling the origins of the SNAKE PIT logo ! Great idea once again you had here... and that book cover made me instantly think of sculptures by Christian Boltanski :

His oeuvre is mainly about memories and how we deal with them in our lives... Very touching when you meet these art pieces in person, they have a strong emotional vibe. I also post this here because I think he was the main inspiration at the end of William Gibson's NEUROMANCER novel, when we finally meet that robot artist in zero-G environment that creates works of art by putting small objects in tiny boxes... and we're all aware and understand the connexions between BR and Neuromancer, two masterpieces released roughly at the same time...

Anyhow, thank you again Tom !
(I'll post soon something in The Cabinet of Curiosities related to Moebius and BR)

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice analogy Fred...didn't know about this Artist; thanks
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,
One of my favorite artists is Joseph Cornell who got famous for his art in wood boxes. They too seemed to contain memories, like the Victorian keepsake boxes of effemra or botanical specimens . Your Christan Boltansky has some of those characteristics. Cornell was influenced by pieces made by inmates in an asylum who suffered from both hoarding and repeated actions. I have use his work to inspire work I have done in films, including Disturbia.
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Cornell works. Reply with quote

These are works by Joseph Cornell.

TS
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Hi Tom...about the Tyrell tile you'd photographed ( 14 7/8th inches square).
Would it be possible to take a pic of it on a 3/4 angle and on a flat surface?
It's quite a complicated geometric design :? and I want to make sure I understand it better before attempting to reproduce it.
Thanks in advance :-)

Joberg,
I hope this is what you need. If not, please let me know.
best of luck with your project,
TS
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Snake Pit Neon. Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
Tom Southwell wrote:
As I read an old thread (March 2008) about BR logos explored by Fred (Skin Job 66) I now feel I should give a hint where some ideas came from. I am flattered by his link to Herb Lubalin, a hero of mine, but I think I was sending a silent, non verbal wink to PKD and his cover artist.
TS

Thank you so much Tom for unveiling the origins of the SNAKE PIT logo ! Great idea once again you had here... and that book cover made me instantly think of sculptures by Christian Boltanski :

His oeuvre is mainly about memories and how we deal with them in our lives... Very touching when you meet these art pieces in person, they have a strong emotional vibe. I also post this here because I think he was the main inspiration at the end of William Gibson's NEUROMANCER novel, when we finally meet that robot artist in zero-G environment that creates works of art by putting small objects in tiny boxes... and we're all aware and understand the connexions between BR and Neuromancer, two masterpieces released roughly at the same time...

Anyhow, thank you again Tom !
(I'll post soon something in The Cabinet of Curiosities related to Moebius and BR)

Fred

Fred,
The second piece you posted reminded me of an artist I once worked with:
Barton Lidice Benes. He would create tiny museums in a grid format that would contain the most curious, even bizarre artifacts. Part of the fun was to read what the item was and where he found it.

This last one is by Cornell.

If you explore his book you will be amazed. I have often thought this is how I should display my BR collection.
Thanks for your creative input, Fred.
TS
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tom ! I will definitely look for the book about Joseph Cornell, the examples of his work you have shared here are just incredible !!! (and now that I've seen this, I think that's him Gibson had in mind when he wrote the end of NEUROMANCER, not Boltanski)

Fred

PS : Boltanski's work is based on memory and how objects symbolize us. The second art piece I have posted was made from objects found in the home of an old lady that had passed away, iirc. They symbolize her life but more than that, they reflect our own existences, all these objets / memories that are part of our personnal trips through the "Valley of Tears".

His last (monumental) exhibit :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv7tatnhFAc

Oh, and he's married to Annette Messager... Love her work as well :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWKGTPIobo0

(both links lead to youtube itws in english)
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom for the pics, this helps very much Cool ...seeing that design better makes me scratch my head even more.
And big thanks also for making me, and others, look at the work of J. Cornell and Benes. Very interesting this concept of "Memories in Boxes"

Concept of our mind (analogy) of keeping all those memories in "boxes" and retrieving them at the right moment when ask to do so. Those "boxes" are tuned with scents, colours, sounds, a phrase, etc...

Thanks Fred for the link, also very interesting and philosophical: love it Cool
SynaMax
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I missed this discussion for so long. Thank you so much for all the images and stories you've shared, Tom! Here's some of my replica paper props that I made. The Deckard ID:

Phase Pistol helped me out and did an awesome job with the new photo of Harrison and the signature on the back.

Several years ago, temponaut did a translation of the Japanese text on the back of the card. It reads:

"Toyo Institute of Art and Design 3505B. Chiyoda [place name]
Nippon Engineering College Art Program
Nippon Design College Vocational Studies
Tokyo Photograph"

Thought that was a funny tidbit to share. Smile

I even did my own personal ID badge for my collection:

I also did the MONI cover, but thanks to Rep13 and Tom, I can also start working on recreating the Creative Evolution cover as well.

Since these was all digital recreations, I didn't have the alternate glyphs that Letraset made for some of the fonts, so I had to recreate some of them like the "a" on the subtitles for MONI and the "A" and "M" on the back of the ID card.

Tom, I had a quick question about the diamond number on the ID card. Did you do any other numbers besides 8? Also, what would you think that number stands for (i.e. precinct number, level number, etc)?

Thanks again, Tom for all your awesome work!
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Thanks Tom for the pics, this helps very much Cool ...seeing that design better makes me scratch my head even more.
And big thanks also for making me, and others, look at the work of J. Cornell and Benes. Very interesting this concept of "Memories in Boxes"

Concept of our mind (analogy) of keeping all those memories in "boxes" and retrieving them at the right moment when ask to do so. Those "boxes" are tuned with scents, colours, sounds, a phrase, etc...

Thanks Fred for the link, also very interesting and philosophical: love it Cool

Joberg,
A big you are welcome. Happy to help out when I can.
TS
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: SECTOR NUMBERS Reply with quote

Tom -

Addressing Synamax's question, I know you roughed out a few numbers other than "Sector 4".

But regarding the sector numbers, was there ever any designation for those, or initial thoughts to that end . . . or did it ever get that far?

Thanks again for all your contributions here.

HAB1! - R13
SynaMax
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: SECTOR NUMBERS Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:
Tom -

Addressing Synamax's question, I know you roughed out a few numbers other than "Sector 4".

Just for clarification, I was referring to the diamond "8" that's on the Deckard ID badge. I think there's also a "1" and a "0" design as well.
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synamax,
I knew that's what you were referring to. There was posted my office wall on BR that had the zero and one of that "V" set. Someone grabbed it off the Dangerous Days DVD. I don't know if it was a precinct number or even possibly a secret nexus number but let's not start down that road.

Do you want me to shoot that for you?

The Sector numbers were a whole different design...kind of a soccer ball feel.

And I do like your "6".

On one thread I revealed I must have had a bit of a hang- up on V shaped logos for BR and this set is one of those.

Thanks for the Japanese translation. I got that from the back of Idea magazine, a graphics magazine from Japan. No one was supposed to ever see that detail... (mumbo jumbo boiler plate.) you never know how an actor will hold something like that and how big it may blow up on an 80 foot movie screen.

Oh, by the way, where on the ball are you?
TS
SynaMax
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Southwell wrote:
Synamax,
I knew that's what you were referring to. There was posted my office wall on BR that had the zero and one of that "V" set. Someone grabbed it off the Dangerous Days DVD. I don't know if it was a precinct number or even possibly a secret nexus number but let's not start down that road.

Do you want me to shoot that for you?

If it's not too much trouble for you can shoot that for me, that would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy

Tom Southwell wrote:
And I do like your "6".

On one thread I revealed I must have had a bit of a hang- up on V shaped logos for BR and this set is one of those.

Thanks! I don't know why, but I love that "8"; it reminds me of those Nixie vacuum tube clocks.

I wanted to follow the same looking typeface when drawing the number 6.

Tom Southwell wrote:
Thanks for the Japanese translation. I got that from the back of Idea magazine, a graphics magazine from Japan. No one was supposed to ever see that detail... (mumbo jumbo boiler plate.) you never know how an actor will hold something like that and how big it may blow up on an 80 foot movie screen.

No problem. Awesome to hear where you got that text from! It's small details like that that really make these props really stand out.

Tom Southwell wrote:
Oh, by the way, where on the ball are you?
TS

I'm in Tampa, FL. I'm probably also the youngest guy on here; I'm 22 and I recently got into BR about three years ago, lol.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: THE NUMBERS GAME Reply with quote

Apologies - guess I shifted gears mid-question. Sorry to confuse. Didn't mean to derail your inquiry, Max - but glad for any answers Tom can offer.

- - -

Never thought of the diamond <numbers> as possible nexus designations. Still. Interesting idea, whether you go there, or not Smile

• As to the sector numbers, was anything every defined with those Tom?

Thanks! - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Thu May 30, 2013 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the diamond design was probably a Nexus concept idea...reminds me of Rutger's tattoos Wink
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Deckard is Nexus 8 then? Wink

Andy
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max,
I think we only did 3 of these "V" numbers and I don't know if we
ever see them in the film.
Perhaps only the (V8) one on Deckards I.D. (briefly).

This one above is a close-up of my art for the "V8".
Photographed with light behind so you can see the
compass lines and brushed on ink, on drafting mylar.
Entire design was 13 inches tall.

I tell you this to inform how "hand made"
these graphics were.

Because of my "V" hang-up I looked at old V8 car logos and
played with the idea of doing a new one for BR.
These inspired me.

And Joberg,
You mustn't jump on the nexus comment. The fun is to not really
know what everything means.
TS
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replicant13,
Normally cops divide a city into "Sectors" like precincts and only discuss this with other cops. Only because Deck mentions to Rachel on the phone that he is in a certain sector ( probably a rough area) David L Snyder and I thought there might be signs that showed a sector number. Perhaps you could do something in one sector but not another , (like pipes and exotic snake dancers).
I think we only did two sector numbers.
TS
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 18 of 22

Jump to: