FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
The Illustrated Blade Runner help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krilltok

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: The Illustrated Blade Runner help Reply with quote

Hi this is my first post here and I really need some help,
My friend has a copy of The Illustrated Blade Runner 1st edition which I would like to buy from her but I'm a bit confused as to how much how much the book is worth. The book is in good condition but the pages are quite yellowed is this normal for a book this age ? and the spine of the book inside is broken at pages 41/42 but no pages are loose. I have seen some in the region of £90 on amazon but some are over £200, what would be a fair price to offer?
Also does anyone have the book in similar condition and has had it repaired if it is possible to do so?
This book would be my first piece and start my collection, Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one on ebay right now for £95.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-282-The-Illustrated-Blade-Runner-1982-/170986164787?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item27cf91d233
In the meantime, see if she is interested in selling her copy. You might get lucky..
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Krilltok while there are many ways to start a collection, your way is a small step toward bigger things.
Yellowing of the pages are a normal occurance depending of the storage (humidity/dryness, exposure to sunlight or not, etc)
I would offer her a 100 pounds...seems fair Wink
Krilltok

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome and the replies £100 sounds reasonable to me also fingers crossed she likes the offer.
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Illustrated BR book faded? Reply with quote

This poor book looked old the day it was printed. I was so disappointed they didn't create a fine glossy art book back in '82, and there was a ton of stuff to put in such a book. I'm also a bit p.o. Because some of my graphics were used without a credit (check out the last 2 or 3 pages). Well back to this " pulp paper soft cover with faded looking ink" , it still had nice sketches by many of the artists and designers from the film. I still hope a fine book will some day be printed. The Final Cut 5 disc set was a welcome addition.
Oh, good luck with your quest.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great big welcome to Propsummit Tom. You are already a big part of this board. A real honor to have you here officially, and pardon me if I get a bit giddy.

As far as this book goes, I think he is talking about the one with the storyboards and script as was done with the Star Wars films. Your stuff was in the back of the 'Sketchbook'. I am totally with you as far as a true "Art of" book being made. Is so much of the stuff lost that this is just impossible now?

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Illustrated BR book faded? Reply with quote

Tom Southwell wrote:

I'm also a bit p.o. Because some of my graphics were used without a credit

You're not alone in this case unfortunately... Some of the Spinner sketches displayed in this book were drawn by Jim Burns but credited to Syd Mead ! (I recently saw a copy of one of them signed by Mead on eBay)

I understand your frustration on all levels with this book, but the good side of things is that it gave us hardcore BR fans at least something to bite at the time the film was initially released... and it forced us to do some homework to discover who were ALL the artists behind these creations.

BTW I have opened a topic entirely devoted to your designs here, hope you'll like it :

http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=774&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Fred

PS : And I'll second Andy of course with another BIG WELCOME on propsummit, it's really an honor and a pleasure to have you here !
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Tom. Good to have you on board.

Colin
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
A great big welcome to Propsummit Tom. You are already a big part of this board. A real honor to have you here officially, and pardon me if I get a bit giddy.

As far as this book goes, I think he is talking about the one with the storyboards and script as was done with the Star Wars films. Your stuff was in the back of the 'Sketchbook'. I am totally with you as far as a true "Art of" book being made. Is so much of the stuff lost that this is just impossible now?

Andy

I have to agree with the comments Tom, a HUGE welcome to you sir.

As folk here know I'm an unadulterated fan of the design work done for BR and books are truly the way to preserve the legacy that was created by gifted folk such as yourself. I agree again with Andy that the loss of the art is a travesty which would make any (modern) compilation almost impossible…

I wonder if any publisher's would be up for the task because if they are, we can sound out veteran writers like Mark Cotta-Vaz or Jody Duncan to see if they would be interested in breathing life into the pages….

A very invigorating thought.!

Warm regards

MARK

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big welcome to you Mr. Southwell...it is an honour to have you here on Propsummit. Many are in awe of your work and the details that went into creating many of logos, magazines, signs, etc...
We're all eager to hear your stories and see your work, if possible of course.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy! Do we have questions for you Very Happy

Andy
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Thank you for the welcome. Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome EVERYONE!
I knew I would stumble by opening my mouth about the work, really knowing you guys would be far more knowledgeable than me. It's been a while for me and much of the work was "slam it down and run to stage".
So, correct about the book. You were talking about the Illustrated BR, and I was on that other one. Sorry. They both came out the same day and were cheap at the time (relatively). If it wasn't for Paul Sammon and his Cinefantastique magazine article I might have ended up like Jim Burns, as one of you had mentioned.
Syd Mead was a prince, by the way. It wasn't his fault he got all the press. His print work and his following could get people in the seats. The rest of us did good work but he had fans.
The first writer had a nice futuristic book that was a seed of sorts for the art department, and Jim had done the cover and some cool stuff inside. It was mentioned in Dangerous Days, I think. Anyway, as usual, Mr Scott brought him over to start work on the cars. After a few weeks he went back to G.B. and Syd started over. If you follow the designs you can see he was moving away from Jim's concepts, however after a few revolutions you can see much of Jim back in the final Spinner. And I mean to take nothing away from Syd Mead. His work was genius! Really.
About a new art book: I feel it is not too late and given permission from the copyright holders, I am sure I could get it done with one of the premier art book publishers. This would not compete with the "bible" of BR (Future Noir) but would be the coffee table book with the clear pictures the text book couldn't deliver. And it will probably be expensive.
I'll try to check in every now and then to offer a bit of support. Thanks, guys.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you've mentioned, a lot of artists worked long and hard on that picture and a book could certainly dot the I's and crossed the T's on who did what/when and receive the proper recognition for their work.

Expensive? Sure, but count me in when it'll be time to buy a copy.
We've been starving for a complete "Art of Blade Runner" for decades.
Krilltok

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Tom Southwell replies to my post, that's gotta be my best claim to fame ever, thanks for all your replies managed to get the book for a really nice price (she is such a nice lady).

As for a complete "Art of Blade Runner" book, where do we sign?
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way gang, I'm as nuts about BR as you. I was the "new guy" in the art department although having worked a few films with Larry and David. Sharing a room with Sherman and the set designers taught me a lot. And I saved EVERY piece of paper. Trash man had nothing to pick up. Beat him to it all. So calm down guys. I'm a fan too.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Southwell wrote:
By the way gang, I'm as nuts about BR as you. I was the "new guy" in the art department although having worked a few films with Larry and David. Sharing a room with Sherman and the set designers taught me a lot. And I saved EVERY piece of paper. Trash man had nothing to pick up. Beat him to it all. So calm down guys. I'm a fan too.

I would have loved to be in your shoes !!! (and I would also have saved everything I could from the trashcan...)

Cool
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, we just may have to put together a book of just what you have saved. I like that it seems that everybody on the art department of this film seems to have nothing but great things to say about the experience. A bit different from the film crew. The film is still influential to artists and designers worldwide.

Andy
Banzai88
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo the welcome sentiment here--such a great honor to have you on Prop Summit.

I think I got this from YouTube; was this what your wall looked like during production?

Tom Southwell wrote:

Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Banzai88:
That is a shot I took of a wall in my office after we moved to The Burbank Studios (now called Warner Bros.) . There were a few places in Dangerous Days and it's extras segments where they tilted up on this wall. This was a small office just big enough for Sherman Labby and me. We had worked together on over 16 films by the time of his death a few years ago.
He would sit quietly drawing his beautiful storyboards, while I cranked out graphics (without a computer) !

Oh, and one of them was Buckaroo Banzai, Mr Banzai88.
(And I think I did a BB 88 target logo too!)

And Andy, I have often thought of editing a book like I have mentioned but don't get too excited just yet. Part of me is that kid at Christmas that wants it so bad too.

Most people in the art department were happy to have worked on BR.
I didn't stand in the night rain for 60 nights in a row.
I didn't breathe fog smoke for six months.
I didn't sleep while the sun was shining.
I didn't hear orders delivered by a bull horn at 3:30 am.
The quest for Ridley's perfection under those conditions got old fast for some of the crew. It was very uncomfortable for them. The neon was temperamental , and nothing was easy. Cars broke down. Windshield wipers stopped working. Not fair to criticize the crew. As Deck said: it was a bitch. And most of the crew was not at rushes, where all that pain and effort was paying off... showed how great the picture was looking.
It was a tad like: we are working in the Pentagon while the crew was in the trenches...in the rain...at night...cold, tired. (just an illustration and to not really compare it to our army really in harms way). That's Hell.
Banzai88
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to hear he passed--your contributions are immeasurable for us. And without aid of a Mac--guess your Rapidograph was your best friend.

BB is a big fave of mine as well! And that 88 target [or registration mark ; )] is a great icon. And I like the slight difference to the yellow drum kit version. I've made use of both!

We do tend to glamorize film-making but also acknowledge it's really hard work--especially for the crew. Still--to be part of these classis...

Thanks for the further insight, Tom! Would love to hear more on BB as well.

Tom Southwell wrote:
Yes Banzai88:
That is a shot I took of a wall in my office after we moved to The Burbank Studios (now called Warner Bros.) . There were a few places in Dangerous Days and it's extras segments where they tilted up on this wall. This was a small office just big enough for Sherman Labby and me. We had worked together on over 16 films by the time of his death a few years ago.
He would sit quietly drawing his beautiful storyboards, while I cranked out graphics (without a computer) !

Oh, and one of them was Buckaroo Banzai, Mr Banzai88.
(And I think I did a BB 88 target logo too!)

And Andy, I have often thought of editing a book like I have mentioned but don't get too excited just yet. Part of me is that kid at Christmas that wants it so bad too.

Most people in the art department were happy to have worked on BR.
I didn't stand in the night rain for 60 nights in a row.
I didn't breathe fog smoke for six months.
I didn't sleep while the sun was shining.
I didn't hear orders delivered by a bull horn at 3:30 am.
The quest for Ridley's perfection under those conditions got old fast for some of the crew. It was very uncomfortable for them. The neon was temperamental , and nothing was easy. Cars broke down. Windshield wipers stopped working. Not fair to criticize the crew. As Deck said: it was a bitch. And most of the crew was not at rushes, where all that pain and effort was paying off... showed how great the picture was looking.
It was a tad like: we are working in the Pentagon while the crew was in the trenches...in the rain...at night...cold, tired. (just an illustration and to not really compare it to our army really in harms way). That's Hell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: