FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
MENTOR HUEBNER ORIGINAL BR SKETCH
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: MENTOR HUEBNER ORIGINAL BR SKETCH Reply with quote

OK everyone, time to unveil one of my latest acquisitions...

I have recently bought an original Mentor Huebner sketch and after a little research found that it was attached to the early stages of production of our favorite film...

More info and thoughts about this sketch are located here :

http://www.propbay.com/original/early-production-sketch-blade-runner-1982-film-production-2714.html

Hope you'll like it as much as I do !

Cheers,

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Fred...another nice addition to your ever so growing collection
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate !

Cool

Fred
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely fantastic acquisition sir - warmest congratulations!

Kind regards

MARK

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Mark !

I must admit I couldn't believe how lucky I was to stumble on this one... Can you imagine that ? A Mentor Huebner original, and attached to BR ? (Mentor Huebner is one of my heroes, with Tony Masters, Ron Cobb, John Mollo, etc)

The detective work was rather tricky must admit but when I was finally able to connect this sketch to other "official" BR art pieces (by Mentor Huebner and Syd Mead) and an early script by Hampton Fancher then it was a great joy and that's why I wanted to share it here !

Fred
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that sketch and bid on it myself. Very glad one of us got it. Congratulations man!

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy !

BTW what do you mean exactly by "I bid on it myself" ? (I was the only bidder on that one...)

Do you mean you recently bid on something similar ?

Shocked

Fred
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps. It was up more than once too IIRC. I will look back at my records and stuff I saved from it. Unless I had it my sights and forgot to bid, which has happened more than once Embarassed

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was auctioned more than once ??? Damn, you learn everyday ! (I feel even more lucky now to have bought it)

Shocked

Don't worry Andy, we all forget to bid from time to time, me included...

OK, I have uploaded another Mentor Huebner piece related to BLADE RUNNER... Nothing to do with original art this time but very iconic though (at least in my book) :

http://www.propbay.com/original/huge-cityscape-print-blade-runner-1982-film-production-2769.html

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More iconic than that and you die One of my favorite drawing from Huebner!!!! Thanks Fred.
jonsilence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: MENTOR HUEBNER ORIGINAL BR SKETCH Reply with quote

Skin Job 66: Ace research on your part, with all due credit as well to your associates who helped connect the dots between various elements in your sketch and their onscreen counterparts in the final BR film.

You will be interested to know that there also exists a fully realized/detailed Huebner rendering of the identical BR café scene for which your drawing appears to be a preliminary sketch.

In the detailed version Huebner more clearly articulates the early 'biomechanical' architectural vision for this BR scene, along with the café fight scenario that didn't make it to film.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words jonsilence and also for sharing this very interesting bit of info about Mentor Huebner and the production of our favorite film ! (and welcome to propsummit btw)

Cool

Fred
jonsilence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: MENTOR HUEBNER ORIGINAL BR SKETCH Reply with quote

Skin Job 66 / Fred~ Thank you! Here is an image of the Mentor Huebner BR drawing which corresponds with yours. http://propsummit.com/upload/2794/huebner_blade_cafe_2_sml.jpg
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: MENTOR HUEBNER ORIGINAL BR SKETCH Reply with quote

Damn, where did you get that file if you don't mind me asking ?
I'm totally blown away by that image I had never seen before !!!

THANK YOU JS !

Fred
jonsilence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: MENTOR HUEBNER ORIGINAL BR SKETCH Reply with quote Reply with quote

You are most welcome! I've owned this piece for several years; I bought it privately. It is clearly related to yours and would seem to indicate that this particular visual concept of the scene had some traction for at least a little while.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS jonsilence As Fred mentioned, never saw that Huebner before!
Love the process of seeing Fred's and the "final product" so to speak.
Very interesting indeed.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: MENTOR HUEBNER ORIGINAL BR SKETCH Reply with quote Reply with quote

jonsilence wrote:
You are most welcome! I've owned this piece for several years; I bought it privately. It is clearly related to yours and would seem to indicate that this particular visual concept of the scene had some traction for at least a little while.

I'd definitely second the fact that the scene wasn't deleted quickly from production...

Forgot to underscore this in my previous post but the biomechanical direction the design of the foreground architecture still had at the time this illustration was made is blatant here... It reminds a little of the derelict cockpit turntable...
Very interesting...

Would you have other original BR illustrations to share here btw ? (asking just in case, hope you'll understand)

Fred
jonsilence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: re: MENTOR HUEBNER ORIGINAL BR SKETCH Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have any other BR illustrations to share. I originally came to Huebner through his non-illustrative easel paintings of Los Angeles & Southern California. Through this avenue I became familiar with his cinema-related background. Having seen BR several times during its original theatrical run, coming across this drawing was a fun discovery.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: re: MENTOR HUEBNER ORIGINAL BR SKETCH Reply with quote

jonsilence wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have any other BR illustrations to share. I originally came to Huebner through his non-illustrative easel paintings of Los Angeles & Southern California. Through this avenue I became familiar with his cinema-related background. Having seen BR several times during its original theatrical run, coming across this drawing was a fun discovery.

I was tempted at some point in the past about purchasing one of the paintings he did in Paris but finally changed my mind... I'm too much into film memorabilia and outsider art already, so I came to the conclusion that you can't collect everything...

Anyhow thank you again JS for sharing this never before seen piece with us !

Fred
jonsilence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: re: MENTOR HUEBNER ORIGINAL BR SKETCH Reply with quote

I think I may know the French street scene you mention. Huebner's easel paintings are of varied subject matter and quality, but when he was 'on' he could be quite standout. His better pictures, for me, have a certain energetic flair and edginess about them, and I think these qualities show up more consistently in his storyboard illustrations. It's too bad he isn't around to contribute to BR2.

Thanks for the 'thank you'; it's always rewarding to share things with kindred spirits who have an appreciation and understanding.

Finding your related drawing and supporting research is a welcome and valued bonus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: