FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
• NEW GROUND CAR KITS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: • NEW GROUND CAR KITS Reply with quote

Don't know if this is quite the "proper" place to post this, since they are not "Studio Scale", but this seems to be the place for info on models and model building. Perhaps some of you have seen these already, but I found no mention of them on PS, as yet.

Many of you are aware of the FUJIMI kit of the Spinner, but now they are releasing same-scale (1/24) plastic kits of both Deckard's "grounded spinner*" sedan and the similar police sedan - (both designed by Syd Mead).

* According to Mr. Mead

HAB1 - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Mystery Ad Image Reply with quote

Relatedly, years - make that decades ago - a few years after the movie's release, I ran across a magazine ad featuring a very familiar vehicle. It was missing some hardware up top and any markings or plates, but it was obviously from 'Blade Runner'. I tore out the page, so the ad itself is long forgotten, but the subhead remains, "Information. The strategic component of the design process." Heady stuff . . .

At the time I don't recall if I even thought of it actually being Deckard's sedan. So I filed it away as reference. I ran across it again recently, so here's a scan. With the release of the kits, and Randy Cooper's proposed sequel to his fantastic Studio Scale Spinner, I though any additional images might be helpful. Although this is limited in information, it does show the front of Deck's ground car in more detail than many of the 8x10's on eBay, and any of the moody screen grabs from the actual movie.

Perhaps this will be of some help to those tackling these kits, large and small.

A SIDE NOTE: I've seen various pictures of this car in brighter reds and oranges. Although this may well be the result of lighting or bad reproduction, over the years the car MIGHT have been "restored" and the color possibly altered. Since this ad was created only a few years after the movie, perhaps the (slightly russet) color shown here is more accurate (?)

HAB1 - R13
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool find!. The color does look like the orange used on set and maybe darkened in camera to deal with the outside lighting and light background. I like it very much. Thank you for sharing it.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted on the SS section on the 17th of March by SuperJedi Wink (plastic models of the Deckard car and a Police car).
Loved the pic btw...good colour; you're right, sometimes you see that car in some kind of orange colour...might be the lighting Confused
TFS Rep13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Rhythum and Hues Reply with quote

As evidenced by the two pics below, it would appear that the finish and color have been altered, unless this is yet another ground vehicle (?) I would guess that the quality of the photography used in this ad far exceeds the studio images shot in bright sunlight, or those few images lifted from the finished film.

Unlike the orange version, the image from the ad does not give the impression of a highly polished finish - even with indirect lighting I would expect to see some stronger highlights from a gloss finish. Nor does the body color appear similar to that of the orange lights at the corner of the front bumper. Since this ad was produced well before Photoshop was so common, I would doubt too much extensive color work was done to it.

All said, looking at these images side-by-side, it seems impossible to me that this could be the same color or finish.

But of course this is just my impression.

Oh, were it only possible to travel back . . . to the future . . . Where is Doc Brown when you need him?

Have A Better One - R13
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were quite a few of these cars made. The streets are pretty much lined with them in the movie. Most of them were destroyed on purpose to prevent exactly this from happening. There was a bright orange one in the film for sure. Colors, especially oranges and reds also look very different in different lights. My truck looks very different depending on the time of day, and actually looks darker in bright sunlight. Color in old magazines and photographs rarely stay accurate, just from the printing process alone, but the details and interior on these cars don't match either. Chances are they are separate cars. Check out the BladeZone articles about where a lot of the cars have been found.

Andy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: A car of a different color Reply with quote

Andy - You're right. Of course. On all points. However, I was unaware there ever was a bright orange one. I totally missed that! My bad.

I read the article on BladeZone long ago. Perhaps I should refresh my memory by scanning it again Confused I knew several cars were built - I seem to recall it being a dozen or so, but aside from the police ground car and Deckard's sedan, I thought the number referred to other designs - Sebastian's vehicle, MetroKab, etc.

I'm just happy (and a bit surprised) that after all these years, and the release of what may be the last (official) version of the movie, so many things are now being released . . .

I DO have to wonder if any of this is coming about now because of the possibility of the "franchise" being revived(?) and the obvious chance of everything being redesigned. Although a reboot certainly didn't seem to affect the popularity of the original Star Trek.

HAB1 - R13
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greta find R13 !!!

Cool

Fred
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see the bright orange sedan in the film, watch the car that Deckard gets out of to go into the Bradbury. When a spotlight shines on it you will see its true color.

Andy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Orange Sedan Reply with quote

Thanks to all.

Andy - I happen to be going to a Blade Runner (Blu-Ray) viewing/party tomorrow night, so I will make a point of paying more attention this time.

Thanks for the hint.

HAB1 - Replicant13
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deckards decomissoned car was actually painted two colors. I have some stills of the production car taken by daylight that show this.

Top and front areas were painted a gloss medium cooper, whilst back and sides were partly medium red.

I wish I cound post scans but my computer has been down for months now Sad
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Two-tone Sedan Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Spinner.

Interesting. Combined with the neon, the rain, the reflections and the overall darkness of the streets, this fact starts to explain why the car seems to change colors from scene to scene.

I am still curious as to the number of sedans actually produced and their colors. Especially after seeing the orange one online, of which I was not aware until recently. Too many facets of this film to keep up on, even after all this time . .

HAB1 - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Japanese Sketches Reply with quote

I recently ran across a site that had a page or two with several variations posted - sketches of the sedan and spinner and a smaller car - and in a variety of colors. Of course, unreadable to those who are not schooled in the language, but interesting. I might assume they are based on Mr. Mead's designs/art, but redrawn as they don't appear to be in his distinctive style. It's always fascinating what comes out of Japan!

Here's the green sedan -

Several other 'vehicles' are featured as well - some which I've not seen elsewhere . . .

SOURCE: http://1608site.blog38.fc2.com/blog-entry-120.html

- R13
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Japanese Sketches Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:

SOURCE: http://1608site.blog38.fc2.com/blog-entry-120.html

- R13

WOW! Shocked

That is surely a fantastic find Replicant 13! It seems that whoever does this page, has tried to summarize and catalogue all vehicles that appear on Blade Runner!

if you translate the text, its an explanation of what cars appear on screen and when.

First one spotted in the Zhora Chase, second one is the spinner near 1178 Hutewasser, third one is the 44 that appears after Zhora's retirement (the one carrying Bryant), then the "flying spinner" featured when Gaff takes Deckard for a drive. Last one is the cabin mockup made for FX and used to film scenes inside the 44 spinner and Deckards sedan.

Special attetion had been paid to all drawings, they all sport particular, details, marks, detail.

Then comes all versions spotted of the Sedan (namely the Police version, Deckard version and the green version seen on the street).

Sebastian Armadillo.

After that the "everyman's car".

Plus all big vehicles and fx models of the flying spinners and the flying truck.

I excited! I love to see this amazing abiliry to draw and to detail that japanese people have. Thank you for sharing the link!

I going to print them all and perhaps make a poster. Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Rep 13. Great site for sure.
As Spinner 44 has explained, the site is trying to create a repertory of all the vehicules that appeared in BR. There's a few missing (I'm talking about the Caddy with the fins and the greeblies + the Metrokab)...but besides that, it's a great ref site for sure Cool
Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing this find!!! Cool
Brownclaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS! How awesome is that bus?
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maroon and bronze. With some orange (round the door frame)
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture is the one I remember famously from Starlog magazine #58. It is likely the reference for the color of the Ertl car, and I always assumed that was the color of his personal car. That was at least until I was watching the film more closely and noticed the car he was in in the ally way where the kids are taking pieces off the car, and right after when he parks out front of the Bradbury is the Orange car. The first scene is dark and still hard to tell 100%, but you can get the hint of it. But, in the second scene you can get some better light hitting it, and see the true color of it. It is possible they had him driving different cars, and IIRC they played with the idea of cars that can be rented by people just by swiping a card in a car where ever it is and just driving off with it. There are some cars like that now that can be rented from college campuses, and also bicycles in some west coast cities.

Andy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Color Me Confused Reply with quote

Looking at the pic posted by AD, it seems probable that the orange (mustard yellow) around the door frame is a vinyl/leather or fabric upholstery. It seems to match the color of the seat - although one might doubt they would spend TOO much effort finishing out the inside (any more than was totally necessary for the shoot).

. . . but then Ridley WAS a stickler for background detail that was hardly seen in the actual film.

I watched the film again, paying close attention to the Bradbury scene, and I STILL can't be certain about that whole orange car thing, although the car obviously exists/ed. Perhaps another viewing . . . . Smile

- Replicant 13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: