FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
1/1 Scale Voight Kampff Machine Replica
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: 1/1 Scale Voight Kampff Machine Replica Reply with quote

I've currently started on my next major project a fully 'working' VK machine , it will be based on the close up 'hero' but with added features taken from the 'second' smaller unit, so overall a more accurate 'hybrid' ( even though I think there was only one unit and the larger screen was added to accomodate 'RS' request to film close ups) you can certainly see the differences in the intercuts , during both interrogation scenes.
I have been working on the three monitor screens, and have a video with effects sound track for the main and two others which while not exactly correct will do.

here are all the links ( NOTE these are WIP so are NOT finished!)

Main Monotor http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/vx_KCDGEXILDF9CI05mEAy_DTHq436H9lfkZJ-64uRk?feat=directlink

Monitor 1
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/Pn9zAQtmeWo4sK2NAQX3xpD_K1nhNxpwrI7ZcghIpZ8?feat=directlink

Monitor 2
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/W6XJwXcsP62kj4Mz8titXIfQis2mmUhiWlmr2-U4eBw?feat=directlink

these will be pushed onto SD cards and installed in digital photoframes sized to match the monitors .

The arm is animated with two servos and a linear acctuator and the bellows will be animated with a servo and speed controller rather than a motor ( my artistic license) the VK will be dressed as per the main filmed model and re-worked , somewhat !. I am going to offer this initally as a finished working prop . Since It does have quite a lot of electronics etc this will be costly at least $1000 but I am trying to keep the costs down so I am opening an interest list here. I should have the first working prototype by the end of November when I shall take deposits to secure orders .
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting indeed. Keep us posted on your progress. Looks like I better start trying to save shekels...
B.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out your videos and they look incredible already.

Pending price, finished product, and of course assuming I have found a teaching job and am not homeless selling off my collection left and right please put me down as interested.

Will the boot go up and down???

Will the arm go up and down (two ways if I remember correctly)???

Will there be a way for you to hit a button and the whole sequence runs in a loop over and over again????

Will both Leon and Rachael's sequence be in it???
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jameth to answer your questions, the replica will operate exactly as the 'close up' filming model, so it will:-

once turned on - rotate, extend and rotate up the eye head piece
(manual select operation)
extend the air sample intake and the bellows start to breath up and down
and the main and two monitors and led displays auto start as does the sound track & videos
The main monitor will display a sequence of filmed eyes ,( to appear 'live') each has a question read in a sudo electronic female voice ( and does include the 'tortoise' and 'naked woman' plus others)
Monitor 1 displays a retina scan , whilst monitor 2 displays an animated graph ( the original displayed graphics taken from the video displays on 'Aliens' and are not available so I used a lot of artistic license but I tried to keep faithful to the film)
close the air intake and the bellows and monitors switch off , the eye rotates retracts and folds down in reverse to the start sequence .
It will be the proper size and will be dressed and finished as a hybrid of the 'two' props.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yeah, sign me up. Must have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad it's not until the first of the year. I need time to save up.

Again,..Assuming I find a job Sad
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propsjonnyb has bought the VK I made and this prop will serve as model for this new and exciting project . Cool
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Propsjonnyb has bought the VK I made and this prop will serve as model for this new and exciting project . Cool

This is a VERY exciting thread and I'm looking forward to developments!

Good luck mate

Regards

MARK

propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement , I shall put as much effort into this as I do for the blasters, so it will be as accurate as I can make it given the issues of the two screens! , but I will and do require help and support in bringing this to project to a final conclusion. I have already approached a few individuals for their help and have been encouraged by the response I've got , but I am still concerned that we don't have enough reference photo's so could I make a request of all , if they feel they have something relevant , to please let me have a copy over the next few weeks, even if this means I recieve many duplicated copies , the one 'new' would make all the difference. As some know, I am basing this project on the excellent static prop that Joberg produced a little while ago, which I have bought from him, it does require a little work to add working screens and servo's and the whole thing will be re-moulded, but all that is in hand including having a custom linear acctuator made to match the motion of the original . I am slightly dissapointed that I can't track down the original monitor 1 & 2 screen displays, as checking the film, one appears an animated graph, whilst the other has some scrolling graphics and of course it was re-worked slightly as a base for the ESPER with different aminated graphs but sadly no clear Blue Ray HD shots exist that could be copied. So I am going to use my artistic license and add a couple of videos done in an appropriate fashion, twist my arm and I might do a set for ther ESPER videos .
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested, of course !

I'll browse my archives, just in case I'd have something interesting VK related...

Fred
ridleyville
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very exciting project and i would like to confirm that i will buy so please put my name on the list. If it helps with development i would be happy to pay a deposit.
erv
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice ! I'll see what I can do for helping with the electronics, if needed !
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let everyone know , I'm back from holiday and hope to start the main work for this project within the next few weeks . I'm hoping to have a 'working' prototype finished by the end of November. A photo record of the re-work and re-build of Joberg's static prop will appear here as I progress . If anyone has any shots ( particularly of the rear of the VK ) other that the ones that have appeared on this forum , I'd be extremely grateful if you'd sent me a copy to propsjonnyb@gmail.com
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas nothing new in my archives regarding the screenused VK prop... but I can't wait to see what you're going to do with this project !

Fred
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still watching this exciting thread with interest...
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work is progressing , I have all the controller boards and servos operational but one and all the led displays built , the controller for the bellows is the only diviation from the original build since this was manually controlled whilst filming , I have decided to use a servo rather than an electric motor, which will have custom software controlling the bellows - this allows for a more 'true' breathing effect , all the controls for operation will be on the front panel which allows the prop to be truely interactive . Everything will operate as far as possible as it did on the filming prop , working bellows , extending and retracting arm , working colour monitors. I'm looking to add with Kurtyboy's help - playback files for Leon and Rachel and the video interference we see . I'll take some photos this weekend update this post.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's talk payment plan Very Happy
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok , for those that are interested , a deposit will secure your order.
I'd prefer 50% deposit and this will enable purchase of all the components but a minimum of £200 fixes your position in the build order , I have five orders already

Pm me for info and deposit details
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Joberg's prop is static and an excellent base to start from, no disrespect to him - slightly wrong- I have to re-work and re-size the thing to match Nick amazing photo's of the real thing, Joberg's already re-designed his plans to match the 'new' model, so first pass is a screen accurate fully working replica.
Once I've built that prototype, I'll use it, to re-cast a set of master molds , when I have these done , I'll be able to offer the replica in a variety of 'flavours' , and that will probably take me into the New Year.

I hope to have a video of the fully working prototype and build up photos finished by the middle to end of November or sooner, it really depends on how this goes.
I'm also going to try and make the shells lightweight and strong using a mixture of slush mold resin and fiberglass bonding .

The model breaks down into easy parts eg , top , bottom, front facia , rear plate, same for the small dual monitor box , the bellows are vac formed shells , and then there are the shrouds for the bottom and middle arm covers and the eye piece, which I may have to clear cast.

I've done all the internal electrics, servos etc which will mount on a chassis that the shells cover , so it's all moving forward . Kurtyboys tweaks to the videos are extremely good and I'd like to incorporate them in to my videos for the main and two smaller monitors and also build Leon's & Rachel's interrogation as two additional videos.

First up is building the additional detail at the rear - more to come.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very interesting model to do...

I am also looking foreward to these.

Rich
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astounding progress so far. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: