FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
The future of prop making

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: The future of prop making Reply with quote

3D printing and new materials.

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/736-Objet-Gives-A-Peak-at-New-Materials-for-2011.html

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, while the medium is changing every few months or so, the manufacture of 3-D object is still expensive and, sometimes, impossible due to the size of the machine and their capabilities to reproduce an object (that will change in the future, hopefully). The small personal 3-D desktop machines cannot come close to the level of quality the industrial ones have, and it'll take a few years also to come up with a very good one at an affordable price (knowing the manufacturing process, I'm sure that the compound used to make the object will cost an arm and a leg Crying or Very sad )...other tricks of the trade are available at a lower cost and so far CNC machine and sofware programs are up to the task, with their limits of course (just look at the work Wasili has done).
Happy building my fellow model-makers Wink
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3D printer we have at the high school I work at uses ABS line so it's not real expensive to create objects and can create very high quality objects as well - the kids make all sorts of parts for various projects using it - basically any small part that can be ceated in a 3D CAD program can be created and the ABS is fairly durable.
amfx74
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a 3D printer at high school, we were luck we had projectors. Those kids a luck bunch.
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they've got 3D design and architecture classes that they are teaching the kids to use SolidWorks, Chief Architect and MasterCAM and how to use CNC mills, laser engravers and the 3D printer. I wish we had those sorts of toys when I was in school. Some of the projects they do are design and cut out Plexiglas on the laser engraver and create a cube from the pieces - the kids can etch whatever logos and designs on the sides of the cube that they want. Close to the Christmas time they have the kids design gingerbread houses in Chief Architect, cut out the pieces in cardboard on the laser engraver and then assemble and decorate them. I've seen some pretty cool designs over the years. They also create puzzle games on the CNC mill as well as working mechanical parts, etc. Between that the and woodshop we have they also create all the sports awards that are given out at the end of the year - laser etching wood & Plexiglas plaques, etc. It's cool that they can do that all in-house. Also they do a lot of creation of mechanical parts on the 3D printer for different projects. They also have a laser scanner to scan in small objects to create 3D objects in SolidWorks. Almost anything you can scan, they can then duplicate on the 3D printer. Pretty cool stuff. The classes are part of our Career and Technical Education program to give kids real-world hands on opportunities to work with this sort if equipment and software and give them information on jobs that are available in these fields as not every student is going to go to college in pursuit of a particular career.
TZY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys.
Im new to this forum ...but know heaps about 3D printing.
Ive been using it for years to make the masters for kits that I produce and the cost of making things on a RP ( Rapid Prototyper ) isn't as expensive as you might think. You can offset you cost by casting your parts and selling copies of what you have produced. That also goes for duplicating parts for props .
Sometimes the prop is a one of a kind and if you have access to a 3D scanner you can duplicate it down to the surface scratches and grain of the object. Having some skills with 3D rendering and the programs that are used to produce the prototype are necessary to a degree if you want to do it all yourself ..and there are free programs like Sketch UP to help you get started. You can also contract s 3D artist to build your mesh for you and he can even part it up to accommodate the size of the build plate area on the RP machine or scale it to whatever scale you want.
If you want to go super large then you looking at maybe a 5 axis C&C machine . Same process again Scale is never a factor when it cab parted up and reassembled for the final product. A buddy of mine has a C&C and he just did a figure of Kratos for Sony for a convention.It was over 8 feet tall.
Hes currently working on the saucer section of an Enterprise model that will be sold as a finished prop or kit..the sauce is 5 feet across.
Overall you will need some money but what hobby doesn't. Even building props costs. The thing with a 3D build is that you can change it as many times as you want until you get it right, scale it to any scale, make 1 part in the computer and duplicate as many times as you need..
The 3D world has superseded the use of many props on movies and in the same way it has opened up the ability to produce any prop you can thinkof. Im always willing to help if you need any advice ..contact me.
Tony
TZY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys
Check this out,
limited offer for a printer of this quality $2500 at kickstarter for those who rely want to get into this kind of thing..
they raised over $700,000 in 2 days.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/formlabs/form-1-an-affordable-professional-3d-printer
Tony
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS TZY If I had the money, I would jump on the opportunity to own a 3D printer like that one...it's true that the future is here in terms of desktop ones Cool
Ki-Djowac
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's nice. Shocked If i only had the cash for it. Imagine that : 3D printing on the fly instead of waiting 2 weeks to have prototypes arrive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> News from around the hobby All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: