FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
The Blade Runner Tile Project(s)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused, Joberg. I meant virtually 'flipped' in 3D not physically 'rotated'.

I've wondered about this because a friend works at a local University and has access to 3D scanning equipment and CNC tools and I was considering asking him to scan my Ennis replica then 'flip' the object so It matches the one in the film.
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art Deckard wrote:
I'm confused, Joberg. I meant virtually 'flipped' in 3D not physically 'rotated'.

I've wondered about this because a friend works at a local University and has access to 3D scanning equipment and CNC tools and I was considering asking him to scan my Ennis replica then 'flip' the object so It matches the one in the film.

Most 3D CG programs use the term "mirror" rather than "flip". There's no need to worry about rotation of the CG model, just rotate the part when you have it. If you take the image I posted above and "flip" it horizontally in Photoshop you get this:

Same thing by mirroring the model in Rhino.

Yes, you should be able to scan your Ennis Tile, flip or mirror it in a CG program, and export it for CNC. Check with your friend about what sort of CAM software he has for use on the CNC. CNC machines don't just load in 3D models and cut them out. You need to load the model into a CAM program, and use that to output the G-Code necessary to drive the machine. That's also where you determin the cutter geometry, cutting speeds, roughing vs. finishing passes, etc.

Cheers,

Dave

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I am glad you understood me from my first comment. Once you have a 3D file, making a mirror image is usually the push of a couple buttons.

As far as the Mirror mind puzzle. Each point on a mirror is going to be directly opposite the one on your face...right matches up with right, left with left, and top with top. Left and Right is in relationship to their position on our body, and top and bottom are in relationship to their position in the space around us. Our right eye is still to our right in the mirror, but we act like it is an actual object that has it's own right/left side now. Since top and bottom are the same in either direction we face it stays the same, but left and right changes in relationship to the virtual self we see in the mirror. But if we give that image it's own spacial identity, then we can say that it is correct and it's left is still left. It just looks like our right Very Happy

I could go on and on, but I think all the turning, flipping, and rotating is getting me exhausted Wink

Andy
Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outside the fact i am wanting them for the apartment set, i am seriously considering a accent tile wall in my bathroom with something similar. These are just too friggin cool! Cool
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveG wrote:

Yes, you should be able to scan your Ennis Tile, flip or mirror it in a CG program, and export it for CNC. Check with your friend about what sort of CAM software he has for use on the CNC. CNC machines don't just load in 3D models and cut them out. You need to load the model into a CAM program, and use that to output the G-Code necessary to drive the machine. That's also where you determin the cutter geometry, cutting speeds, roughing vs. finishing passes, etc.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the information, Dave.

I sent him a text and he's agreed to help but thinks the machinery might have problems producing a piece as big as the 16-inch Ennis tile.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Now that's the right apt. tile (I understand now the "flipped" word in a computer technical way )
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one of our members PM'd me about making a half scale tile for use as a plaque on which to hang his blaster. Got me thinking a bit about using the tiles for display on my (on order) Coyle Blaster kit.

Here's the stunt casting on a 10 inch tile... meh! not so wild about this one.

And here it is on a field of 1/6 tiles. This is not an original idea, someone else did something similar posted here. (These are the old, "pre-flipped" tiles.)

And here are larger 4-inch tiles put together into a cube to create a freestanding display pedistal (just a mockup so far).

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
hauptmann
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like the 10" tile. With the tile painted and antiqued, then the gun's dark finish contrasting it would look good. I think I'd tip the gun upward a bit, sort of like in the silhouette logo with deckard holding the gun at the slight upward angle.

After that, the cube idea is pretty cool too.

They're two different things, one wall-mounted, the other free standing.

Not so sure about the multi-tile plaque. Maybe if the gun were hung from a "stand-off" bracket creating a bit of a forced perspective effect?

This color contrast I think will play a big role in the effectiveness of all, though.

Good stuff!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the cube one...I think that the other display should be one tile only: if it's too busy you'll lose the details of the gun. Very cool work as always Cool
Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ONLY concern is the C&D from FLW... have we found a way AROUND this yet? Because i built my bedroom in sketchUp to decide on color schemes and then decided to try a tiled accent wall and it looks cool as all get out, but is it a pipe dream? I hope we get no static from this wonderful replication (no BR pun intended) Surprised
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love that cube.

I always wanted to make a full size cube and float some glass above it (on four stems at the corners) to make a coffee table.

I prefer the sixth scale multi tile back drop for the blaster. I think the blaster obscures to much of the single large tile.

Lovely work though

Colin
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE THAT CUBE A LOT !!!

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the C&D is always a possibility Crying or Very sad If the sale occurs between the members of this board...maybe we might be spared, now if the sale is on Ebay that's another ball game altogether. A lot of Corps. are paying people to scour the Net and to make sure that their Copyright/Pattent is/are protected.

The design of that tile is so particular that you cannot "re-arrange" that design to make it look like another type of tile...sooo it's going to be a wait and see game: your personal use : fine. A mass production geared to the entire planet: not fine Wink
Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my thoughts exactly... perhaps if they remained HERE. This is the target audience anyhow, right? LOL Regardless... i am counting the number of tile i will need to fabricate the apartment set. This is gonna be BADAZZZZ. Cool
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CUBE!
this is suh-weeet! love the cube and of course would love to replace my homemade BR tile-top end tables with a 5-sided cube table with a glass covering. bottom could remain open to cut down on weight, materials, and allow you to install lights like i did in my tables.

whatever happens - mini tiles, 10-inch, full-size, cubes large or small - let's keep these away from evilBay until the folks here at the summit have satiated their (endless) appetite for these beasties! i think going forward, PMs and some discretion might afford us such an opportunity as we follow your 'personal' tile project. ahem.

fantastic work Dave. looks like you are having a blast - i'm having a blast just following this thread!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea concerning that table design Photek: the possibilities are almost endless Wink
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Finally Got it Right! Reply with quote

You know, if somethings not worth doing three times, it's not worth doing at all! I finally got the 1/6 scale tile right. Here it is, with the smaller bit for sharper inside corners and the correct "flop".

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job Dave! Love it to bits Cool
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look like really fancy tea cookies! the detail is fantastic.

watching this thread closely. would love to replace my accent tiles ... just sayin'!

tip of the hat to ya Dave.
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a blaster display, I'd go for the 10" cube.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: