FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Original film gun in display case
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rocket Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propsjonnyb wrote:
Andy that's exactly what I was saying when I referred to 'bobbing' the ejector rod, Doc's articles explain the detail for real firing guns but the principals the same for locking the cylinder drum into the gun frame for firing PFC donor guns like the S&W .38 and his solution mirrors mine almost identically. A slot in the gun frame that hold the bobbed end of the ejector arm. Then all that's needed is to fix the LHS shroud securly to the arm, and the RHS to the gunframe ensuring the Cylinder drum can rotate freely when closed, so that each trigger pull advances the chamber to allow the gun to fire the PFC blank. A hobbyist looking at a display model doesn't need to be that accurate or to machine or engineer the cylinder drum that much , all it has to do is revolve freely when closed with the dummby bullets loaded and open when the catch release is pressed.

All good, but what I am saying is that this model does have that, so therefore would only be good as a "display model", not a firing second hero prop.

Andy
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I was wondering if Andy’s idea was a working idea.

And I must say it is.

Problem was there is only two holes in the swing arm, and these are known to be used to hold on the side cover.

But it also seems that the top hole might work as Andy’s screw from the other side.

SO as I have a few Bulldogs being built I figured I would find out.

So I drilled a hole though the frame by going though the arm’s top hole, then I mounted a side cover and tried to run in a screw, and it works.

So my guess is that the propmaker/gunsmith turned down the screw so he could retread it as a 4/40 so that it would go though the side cover and

Here is the proof:

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Thank you very much, You showed and explained the idea much better than I did.

Abdy
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just followed your idea.

I just proved it.

And it seems to work.

I will add it to my working gun and all future firing models.

So Thank you.

Rich
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!
rocket boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. Ok, well I finally gotta reply to my email questions through my friend so I thought I would post it for you all to read.

Well you have certainly asked some interesting questions and I am more than happy to answer them as best I can. You obviously have a good eye and know what you are looking at! The right side of the gun is damaged because it is not a metal part, unlike the rest of the prop. It is an original part but made from some sort of modellers sculpting clay or resin, probably made by the prop maker before the final cast was made. The prop came without this part as it had been replaced on the other gun at some point. However, included in the gun case was this part, which fitted perfectly. We just sprayed it black. There is the original mould of it and one day either myself or my son will have to get around to having one made. The grips are not the original parts either. They were in very poor shape when I bought it, in fact one side was broken almost in two pieces! My son bought a number of replica grips until he found some that could be fitted. I think they do pretty well but admittedly they are not up to the originals. If I remember correctly, the green lights are LED’s that are wired into the same circuit as the red lights. When we had the battery changed for the first time I think, it was pointed out to me that adding an extra battery to those two “terminals” on the side not only made the red lights brighter but made the green come on as well. I don’t think that the older Duracell batteries could cope with all seven lights! I had no idea up until then what those two metal terminals were for. So when I brought it home all seven would light up on the on/off switch. However, my son pointed out that the green lights were never seen on in the film and the prop no longer looked like it did originally. After a while, I conceded and had to agree with him. So the next time I had the battery changed I had the wires from the terminals simply connected to the wires from the green LED’s. I very simple modification and one that can easily be reversed. It looks so much more familiar with just the red lights working. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed seeing the photos and I hope you have found all this information interesting.

Enjoy! Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to say the least...of course one of my question is : who's the seller and what kind of info he has about the weapon?
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was oddly worded.
darkknight
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful weapon, who is his "son" to find replica blaster grips he must be a member here or at one of the other forums. Its a pretty unusual hobby coincidence both father and sone love the weapon. There must have been a backup gun I can't imagine them filming without one, and who i s the original propmaker? with all the knowledge on the boards why can't we find him/her and ask them? The most famous movie weapon in history and noone takes credit for being the builder?
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sounds reasonable but I remain skeptical.

All I am convinced of is that the ammo clip and housing are original parts for the film and probably the left side plate too.
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know Rich & Phil S , did track down who the original builder was but only got a first name , then they heard he died , only quoting from memory , perhaps Rich or Phil will comment with more detail
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know Rich & Phil S , did track down who the original builder was but only got a first name , then they heard he died , only quoting from memory , perhaps Rich or Phil will comment with more detail
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what we were told.

Also that there was indeed only one hero prop.

We was told that the gun smith's name was Joe or Joel.

That as it was made of steel, real gun parts, one was fine along with a few rubber stunt props for action shots.

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these parts are vintage, and even made for production, I wonder what the chances are they they were just failed attempts, and discarded pieces? They could have been obtained by garbage picking. Something that happens on studio lots a lot. Especially in those days.

Also if the gunsmith was non-union, and an outsider, he may have worked out of his own shop instead of with the other production crew. Meaning he could have had extra parts lying around. Something I am pretty sure they would have had. Just ask Rich how often they're would be throw away parts lying around after an initial build. Especially knowing he worked for Ridley, I am sure a few builds were rejected. The gun parts probably could not be thrown legaly into the trash, and were just kept "In a box" until the shop was cleared out and sold legaly in a gun auction with other gun stuff that would have been there. If so it might show up in an auction catalogue as a box lot, maybe without Blade Runner having anything to do with it.

This of course is just speculation, but it may help us look in the right direction to find the real story. That is why I want to see more of the parts not going into the gun, such as the so called original box and other broken pieces in with it. It could least us to one of the last unsolved mysteries about the gun. Who made it?

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, dumster diving is still alive and well in the studio/shoot...even today.
I would like to see the mould and the old grips of course, but I think it's wishful thinking on my part Confused
darkknight
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any more info on this, is it real?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the explanations and the pics it's still a mystery. Who was the previous owner?
Who built the gun?
Is this the second mythic weapon or a very good fake?
The plot thickens Confused
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is not a mystery. The serial # would not be the same if the production purchased a second Steyr SL chamber to build a second hero.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right you are Noeland!...that's why I'm opting toward "very good fake"
Of course, if somebody can show us otherwise I'll be the first to eat my words and stand corrected
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: