FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Finally ID'd Shot Glass dispenser
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Finally ID'd Shot Glass dispenser Reply with quote

I have owned several of these shot glass dispensers with the glasses with the plastic rings and they have often been called Park Sherman and Alesi, but I finally found one with the manufacturer lable and it is United Metal Goods Mfg. Co. Inc. Brooklyn, NY..so there you go...

Last edited by andy on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made the metal portions I assume. Wonder what glass company made the cordial or shot glasses.

I suspect these were combined and sold under more than one brand name and in more than one style. Some with sphere covers, globes etc some not.
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slick find!

Mine had no such markings...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My spherical one also uses the same spinner rack and bottle as well as the fact that the pump is only slightly altered. The glasses themselves with out the rings are pretty standard and probably outsourced. The Park Sherman name is also a company that made mostly chrome trays and serving stuff. I have also seen a version with a plastic sphere and I believe this basic set also came with a chrome spill tray for under the whole set that probably were seperated. I can post pics of many different versions if interested. All the sets with these style glasses have had other parts the same. Another set of glasses with an art deco design on them is also used with the same sets. I think the plastic may have been added on the glasses by this company because they would have already had the ability to do the plastic handles and stuff on the trays. Just a guess though. Also the Park Sherman and Alesi name were not directly ever connected to these and I believe only guesses by dealers since most these never had the names they just equated them with other similar items that did have the names. The way others will call all BR blasters a PDK or all copiers a Xerox.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viewed a number of styles and arrangements on ebay over the years. I think the black ball dispenser pump handle is bakelite and the red disk like one is another type of plastic.

I've seen 2 types of bands on the glasses. The multi-ring as seen in BR and the the beaded scalloped type design.

I'm sure I have seen at least 3 types of glass dispensers - Park Shermen being the more ornate styles.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pic of plastic globe

pic of chrome globe apart...

pic of dispenser with tray version 1...

Pic of dispenser with tray and glass snack servers...

Pic of brass and black ring version...

Pic of alternate glasses...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

park sherman style dispensers...

bottom of bottle...

Notice the different style bottle and tray without the cut outs.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't seen the brass with waist shaped dispenser. Cool!

How many of those are your personal ones?

I have 3 sets one which I gave away. My wife took a liking to them so I get a pass on these as a collectible! Very Happy

Have you noticed some on ebay that obviously are accompanied by glassware that is not original and in some cases don't even match each other! Laughing
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Chrome ball one and a regular dispenser, as well as three lone glasses. I have had the dispensers by themselves before including the Park Sherman version.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the globe ones. There is a green one on ebay now. The orange one above is pretty cool.

Like I need to get these! Rolling Eyes
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chrome ones are especially nice because a chrome globe can just be seen on the shelf in the dining room in Deckard's aprtment. I don't think it is the same thing, but it does fit the decor and style of the movie best. The best part is I can usually pick these up for less than $20. The last one I saw didn't meet reserve at $15. It all depends. Hopefully I can get my loft back (or another) and Deck(ard) it out. Smile. In my opinion these are probably the coolest found prop from the movie, from my favorite scene where the blood goes into the shot with the backlight. I can feel that scene. Cool
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just finished pouring up a silicone mold (1 piece) of the ringed plastic band that goes around the glasses. I figure I'll see if I can't do a few blue translucent bands. I have all these red and green ones sitting around here just so I could nail a half dozen blue ones! May as well see if I can't replicate!

No real crazy about clear resins but I think I may order in some Smooth-on as Clear Cast product sucks.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on another note...United Metal Goods seemed to make mostly cast metal clocks and some chrome barware. I also saw the green globe you were talking about and it only have 2 origional glasses and the rest were bad replacements. The few vintage glasses I have seen that used Blade Runner in the Ebay title went for several times they normally go for. The repros were fetching quite a bit for a long time as well. I don't think I will be letting the RPF know about them anytime soon Wink they will probably drive the price up to over $100 a glass. Razz
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the ringed glasses have been rather common knowledge at RPF for a few years.

They are also pretty common if you are willing to buy a dispenser along with glasses that have other color bands instead of the correct blue.

Occassionally one can nail glasses in sets without the extraneous.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why did they replicate their own copies if the origionals are so cheap? A challenge? ...and the copies sold for more...i don't get it Confused
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Then why did they replicate their own copies if the origionals are so cheap? A challenge? ...and the copies sold for more...i don't get it Confused

I got lost somewhere.

Who did replica shot glasses?

Only replicas I know of are the ones Phillipes did of the square rocks glass.

To the best of my knowledge the square glass has never been found or has never been available other than as a replica.
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I never saw any replica ones. I know Gary Willoghby wil sell a set every once and while on ebay but they are just repackaged originals.

The chrome globe in Deckard's apartment is a Bowman Manning Coffee Maker. The same coffe urn can be seen when he buys the bottle of liquor. The info and pics should be in the giant BR thread on the RPF. The pics might be down actually. Still working on gettign those back up.

Nick
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could very well be mistaken because I came into the RPF game only this past year, but I read some past threads on how the imfamous proprunner and/or Gary W. was making the rings at least for the glasses and he ID'd them as Alesi(wrong I think. The square glasses are by Arnolfo di Cambio and you can download their catalogue in PDF. The glasses are from the Cibi line. They are still being made. Phillip S just bought a bunch wholesale. More info about them can be found here at BRMovie.

ap
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedirick wrote:
Actually the ringed glasses have been rather common knowledge at RPF for a few years.

They are also pretty common if you are willing to buy a dispenser along with glasses that have other color bands instead of the correct blue.

Occassionally one can nail glasses in sets without the extraneous.

I believe the difference in colors is based upon the amount of fading in the colors because of light exposure...that is what I seem to have found.
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that information about the whisky glass. I knew that I'd read about them somewhere else, but couldn't remember where.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: