FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Anyone interested in FLW bricks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Darin and welcome aboard. Nice job on the tile; but I'm a little bit confused by the design of the plaster tile: the deep groove on the left should be on top of the tile...while your wooden master is right Confused Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, it seems that on one of the tile, the left upper corner is missing.
darind
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: FLW tiles update Reply with quote

The blueprints are different than the original in respect to the long shallow position. I know it's different, I struggled with the decision whether to do it like the blocks on the house that we all know so well, or like the blueprints demanded. I went with the blueprints because they are in fact complete and there are two versions of the block in the blueprints one says void across it hadwritten. The other is the one that I used. Maybe the changes were done while frank was in japan working on the imperial hotel by an apprentice or another craftsman during construction. I don't know but I am going to stick with the approved prints.
Everyone please read the original post as I have updated it many times. The resin foam WILL NOT be painted!! That is how I can sell them so cheap. I don't want anyone to be dissapointed or surprised.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at $5.00 a pop, you'll have to quit your day job Good luck!
mspaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: BR Tile Reply with quote

Sign me up for sure. Great work!

-Michael
darind
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Possible price change FLW tiles Reply with quote

Bad bad news guys, I wouldn't blame you for banning me for life from propsummit after this one.
The distributor that I get my materials from is going out of business. The cheapest I can now get anything is double the price. CRAP! I tried so hard to make these affordable for both sides but I can't see how I can do them for $5 each.
I'm with the new supplier now to see what we can work out, he's kinda rigid, but I'm working on him.
I will honor the price for the two members who have paid already, Seth Busino and Thomas Grooms. I will keep you informed.
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we'll ban you for life over this, Darin. S#!t happens. Coming forward at the first sign of an issue goes a long way towards alleviating any fears from your customer base. Also, honoring your original price for those who have already paid, even if it means losing a few dollars shows that you're a stand-up guy. And I'm not just saying this because you're covering the outside of my house with the concrete tiles. Honest. I'd have said this anyway.

Note: To anyone who might have taken that last part seriously, it was a joke. No offer was made, accepted or refused. dk0667
darind
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here's the scoop, my cost just for material alone is $10 each tile. Normal pricing at that would be $20 each.
What I would like you guys to do is give me a fair number above $10 that you would be comfortable with. And I will average it out from there. I think that would be fair, I want this to work for all of us. Once again please forgive me for this major screw-up. Thanks guys, Darin.
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about you tell us whats involded in making one before your bombbarded with $10.05!!! LOL!
punctated
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent a pm to darind.

I originally ordered and paid for 20 tiles but given that the price changed so dramatically I told darind that I would take 8 instead. Of course I would love to have all 20 but it seems unfair to make darind eat over $100 in material costs Shocked

I am still looking forward to the tiles. Not exactly sure where I am going to mount them but even for the increased cost I think they are more than worth it.

Thanks
Thomas
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done a mans job!
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this is very interesting, but I think must be more material suppliers around to achieve a lower cost. i understand you, darind, are in a hurry now, due the high interest of a bunch of mad people here... (ME the first, of course). But... will be Ok to wait a little (weeks, months perhaps) to find a real low cost supplier and be back to the cheap cost in the beginning. Perhaps not $5 a piece, but 7-8$ not $20!

It's only an idea. Will be nasty to pay more than double the "original" price and then, three months later, discover a low cost provider...

Oh. I'll be interested in these tiles, of course. And the entire making of process too!
Kgaijin
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to think there would be a way to lower the cost. I will be watching this thread with interest and hope!
darind
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, found a supplier, not as good as the one before. the deal was with the old supplier he had huge quantities and he would sell me a few gallons at a time for a few bucks he didn't care, i was getting the material for pennies on the dollar. but no more Sad
I can now sell them for $10 each, that is the final price!
There is a glitch though, I haver to get a very , very large quantity. So we will make a list of people who are interested, and who has paid. I need to get the total to at least 300 tiles to buy the material and go into production. unless you all want to wait till I raise the money myself, ( I don't think anyone wants to wait THAT long).
So, PM me if you are interested in them, and how many and I will post a running list of who and how many, and paid or not.
Sounds good? let me know.
thanks for your patience and Thomas, wow, i don't know what to say except I owe you BIG! what a great guy, my hat is off to you, thanks, Darin
darind
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas, I will send you 12 tiles plus the shirt.
technocoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I just wanted to chime in here.

This is a great service and these look great, however knowing what's involved here and how much he could be inundated I would suggest a slightly higher price.

I know that's not what you all want to hear, and I hate to be the guy who might get lynched, but at 10 bucks a piece, I just don't know if this is worth his time in the long run, and that's the key here. It would be nice if he wanted to keep doing them for us and not get burned out on it within a week.

I honestly don't see how with materials, labor, workspace and shipping it's doing much better than breaking even on these puppies.

I'm just going to come out and say that if the foam resin ones are durable and of good quality then these should be at least 15 a piece to build a sustainable product supply from darind.

It's not always about being honest as a seller, sometimes it's about being honest as a buyer, and I honestly don't want to see darind be all excited and then in three weeks be like "screw you guys, I'm going home" because it was more than he bargained for and he's just breaking even.

Anyway, wether he changes his price or not, I'll be ordering a good amount of these, I just feel pretty guilty paying 10 bucks a pop on these.

Now, if Darind decides to have these made at quantity for a way cheaper amount on his part, then I see the merits of them being 7-10 bucks a piece, but he'd need a pretty big order for that.

Just my two cents... *ducks and runs*
punctated
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the initial price was too good to be true but even at $10 or $15 depending on the final look and quality I still believe these are a great deal. Darind's been working with me and I believe we have come to great deal but I would not expect the same price for my next order.

If these are the quality that I believe they will be I too will order more.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that Crying or Very sad I, too, tried to produce a fairly cheap tile, mass produced mainly for the board here (done in the "egg-carton" type of medium) and after much research/run-arounds, etc I discovered that not many factories/businesses are ready to take the plunge and give their time and material for almost nothing.
The reality is that they have to make a profit, wich means that when everything is said and done, the price per tile is...well, expensive Shocked
punctated
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darind has been great to deal with regarding my order and I have confidence that he can come through with this project.

My suggestion is Darind start a new "run" thread with pictures and final prices. Start taking names and quantities. When you reach 300 tiles (or whatever number you need) start collecting the money. With the price in the $10 to $15 dollar range I think that this is a great deal and there should be loads of interest.

The tiles that you have already produced look great and I can not wait to start hanging mine (when they arrive). I just need to find the right spot Very Happy
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totally agree. we have all waited this long right? so a few months or whatever wont hurt to get darind up to the number he needs to keep his costs to a minimum and offer them at a price thats fair for him.

it would also be the difference for me as the buyer between perhaps a strip of tiles to run along the ceiling as an accent, or the entire wall. i have no doubt we can get this to 300 in no time as it seems many of us have at least one wall or a bar background in mind. i know i would need 50 to do a wall.

with my wall dimensions i would have to cut tiles. begs one more question darind (if the photos are of your wall, you have an angle that you had to deal with) i am assuming they are malleable/resilient enough to trim as necessary?

i cant stop looking at your home theater set-up! Smile
darind
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones in my home theater are plaster. I had to cut them on a table saw. The ones that I will be making now are urethane foam and can be cut with a razor knife or a sawz-all, easy. Plaster is very heavy and very brittle and would be a shipping cost nightmare for everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: