FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
A machined, metal replica Steyr receiver ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: A machined, metal replica Steyr receiver ? Reply with quote

Having owned or seen most every Bladerunner blaster out there, one of the common issues is the soft, low melt point metals used in casting the Steyr receivers for replicas. I believe I MIGHT be able to 3D model and then CNC a replica of the receiver.

Before all the legal eagles start screaming, "Illegal, the (name the agency) will be at your door, get ready to sleep with Bruno in Club Fed, etc.", it will be done legally. I have been a fully licensed firearms dealer for 20 or more years, and a cop (inc. firearms instructor) for 25 or more years. I am a co-owner of a shooting facility where full auto firearms are rented out for movies or for public events. I have legally built and modified many real firearms over the years, as well as creating prop guns out of real guns. I consider myself fairly knowlegeable about firearms laws, although I do not consider myself an "expert" and certainly I'm not a lawyer. People often jump out and proclaim that creating/recreating a firearm receiver is simply illegal. It is NOT TRUE. There are laws and guidelines and if you follow them, you will have no problems.

What I am contemplating is creating the Steyr receiver section as used in the blaster out of steel, maybe aluminum. Some non-porous metal that can be machine polished and blued to a high gloss like the original. For the true high gloss finish, it would probably need to be steel. The advantage over using a real Steyr receiver is:
* Cost, try finding the correct Steyr these days
* Firearms regulations. A complete gun or even the numbered receiver is considered a firearm and must comply with fed, state and local laws.
* Serial number. There is only ONE original Steyr receiver with serial number 5223. If you use another real Steyr, the number would not be the same. If you change the serial number, you may be in violation of laws regarding the obliteration, changing or removing of serial numbers.

I would probably design this to work with the replica bolts, since a real Steyr bolt needs to be rebent anyway. My intent is to have a blueable steel upper that will bolt up to a replica blaster and use the original replica bolt. You would not be able to use the steel receiver to make a real gun. It is essentially a clone / replica of a clone / replica blaster receiver.

I don't want to get into all the histrionics and high drama that has emerged about recasting recasts recasted by recasters. Very Happy IF I were to proceed beyond the concept stage, I would ask Coyle for permission to use his receiver.

IF this project came to fruition, I would provide you with a steel, polished receiver that was machined, not forged or cast. You could blue it or leave it out to rust (like the Worldcon) or anything in between. It would have the same holes, slots and tracks as Coyle's, so it would be a bolt on replacement. The only difference is that I MIGHT have the scope holes on the top of the receiver tapped to accept real Steyr screws.

My biggest issue is how to apply the roll stamping found on the original. It is easy to mark a soft metal receiver, but doing it on steel is a process I am unfamiliar with. Anyone with ideas, please LMK.

No, I have no idea as to cost, timeline, feasability, etc. At present, this "project" is at the "hare-brained idea" stage. Confused

I just ALWAYS wanted to have a pristine looking blaster with a high polished gunblue finish on the Steyr portion. IHMO, no paint will even come close.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds fantastic!! Also, without stirring the pot too much, if you are going this far, how hard would it be to take it all the way to a complete replica?

Understanding that it would require a lot more time, but I just figured I would ask.

Otherwise, what you suggest is awesome!

Tom
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb question #1: Do you anticipate any problems attaching the steel reciever to a softer metal replica?
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amish wrote:
That sounds fantastic!! Also, without stirring the pot too much, if you are going this far, how hard would it be to take it all the way to a complete replica?

Understanding that it would require a lot more time, but I just figured I would ask.

Tom

If he was to do a full out steel replica, things could get harry. Like a 30 dollar auction on gunbroker for some extra parts and you could have a working firearm. I have bought 2 parts auctions. I have 75% of a 38 and a 44. If I had a steel receiver ( for the 38 or 44), I could build a gun that worked.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bwood wrote:
Dumb question #1: Do you anticipate any problems attaching the steel reciever to a softer metal replica?

No. Since the receiver does not have any moving parts (except the bolt which, on the Worldcon, only moves less than 1/2") there would be no hard metal / soft metal friction. Attaching components together would not be changed, ideally you would use the bolts that are already on the replica.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amish wrote:

Tom

It would, IMHO, be easier to buy a real Charter Arms bulldog. They are, and always have been, economical firearms. It would be cost prohibitive, in comparison, to recreate it. It's not difficult to use a real gun and deactivate it, depending on your intended use, legal requirements, etc. It's not a stretch to imagine a real CA replacing the replica within a Blaster replica. I'm sure most of the diehard BR fans know folks who have already done that.

Additionally, replicating (love that word? Wink) a revolver would be more difficult to do while staying within the laws governing the manufacturing of a firearm. For now, I'd be happy to just get a nice upper. Maybe later there will be a way to upgrade the backstrap and trigger guard.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good plans Eltee, all good plans.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a terrific idea mate and I for one will be watching the progress with great interest.

If you are able to sort out the logistics and mechanism's this could be that perfect 'fit' for a better replica.

Keep us posted.

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[spock voice] Intriguing [spock voice]

Andy
megagreg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea.

My hope would be that it would also work for SidKit Worldcons too.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested if it would work with a real bulldog. That would likely make it too small for a Sidkit though.

Andy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be the perfect option for someone looking to make a firing blaster, or a real steel deactivated blaster.

I've considered several options myself for creating the add ons once I finally pick up a bulldog.

As much as I'd love to have a model SL, I'm not sure I could bring myself to cut up such a gorgeous rifle, even if I could afford it.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

Andy

Add the single, raised eyebrow! Very Happy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record Rich does not (or did not have a Steyr Receiver) he used one from Phil S, then the one from Craig Kovach as the more accurate one. Last I knew Rich was still working off the ones he made off of Craig.

Also most of the receiver would need to be cut away. It wouldn't be anything close to a real gun part anymore. Hopefully that would help it get past any legal issues.

Andy
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs would be the same as the Coyle blaster which is what I have. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that there are more Coyles than Sidkits out there. However, I don't have access to a Sidkit to compare specs.

Coyle's blaster design was created around a real Charter Arms, so everything should fit OK... IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN (and I think you all do).

I've been in communication with Richard Coyle on this. He's excited about the prospect, but realizes the challenges involved.

Now the big thing would be to see if it is feasible from a cost and engineering standpoint. Having a real Steyr would not help, as we are recreating Coyle's specs so it fits his blasters and we would need to recreate any variances from the Steyr in the replica so it would fit the rest of the blaster. Yes, one point of high confidence re. the legality is that so much of the real receiver is removed that you could not "add a barrel and make a gun" as some might think.

Big challenge will be to see if the laser 3D modeler will be able to read an original and if a RHINO program can be created to work with the CNC machines. The other big obstacle is how to do the rollmarks.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

Andy

Add the single, raised eyebrow! Very Happy
noble
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an industrial designer, and interested in helping out on this.

I use solidworks, and have a 3d printer in my office.

Let me know if I can help, would love to have a functional blaster some

day.

Starting out by getting one of the sight rod pieces...
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have eoungh interest would you consider taking orders for these for sale ?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the future, I can see various people offering quality parts for the blaster (either steel, aluminum, pewter, etc). Mpaw is producing a machine side rod that rocks, maybe you Eltee will offer a run of Steyr mag, another will produce triggers, etc...Depending on price/quality, I would be interested.
neosporing
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo hoooooOOOOooo!~

ahem... interested..Smile

p.s. i had no idea that blade runner 'blaster' discussion was even happening in this section of propsummit. i'm glad i checked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: