FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Another Blade Runner find...Sebastian's chess set
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice score.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staar wrote:

...Fascinating to see this and comparing it to the set of Rick's I own because there is a big part of me that has to say that although this is the real deal, as happened with the PKD, I think Rick's interpretation of the chess set is actually more beautiful than the original…

Its interesting seeing how Rick's magnificent work has carved a special place of its own in the BR world...

Agreed. Very Happy

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the set and it came with an old cardboard box that has sectioned compartments made from slotted cardboard as well. No labels, but it did have "1 Red Medieval" written in marker in the corner of the lit of the box. The detail is accurate and it contains the correct pawns, but it also seems the queen peacocks were not molded with their head plumes, and the rest of the set seems a little rough in the detail compared to the set shown by Hop Frog. It could be a new knock off set, or even an older one. The box is consistent with another auction I saw with an almost identical set, and looks certainly aged, but could be old stock, or artificially aged. They could also just be later versions of the originals after the molds started to get a little more worn.

It is an outstanding set none the less, but still not 100% the real deal. It also adds more twists to the mystery of this enigmatic chess set. I love a good mystery too, so this is all still very exciting to me. Very Happy

Andy
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a nice set, Andy, and at least you didn't have to pay the Blade Runner premium!

If one screen-accurate set could be assembled this would be an ideal project for 3D scanning and printing.
Hop Frog
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art Deckard wrote:
Still a nice set, Andy, and at least you didn't have to pay the Blade Runner premium!

If one screen-accurate set could be assembled this would be an ideal project for 3D scanning and printing.

Yes, great find, Andy. I have several searches set up on ebay to find this set, but for some reason it did not send me this search.

I acquired a 3D laser scanner several months ago for the sole purpose of preserving the patterns and archiving them for this set and the prop community.

If anyone cares to send me the pieces, even one at a time, I would very much like to scan this set so that others might enjoy it someday also.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since these were not made as a prop for the film and are an artists work that might still be alive even, I have a real problem with copying these. Especially since they are out there to be had. I saw 2 in the last few months. They may even be copies themselves, but this is not something I am comfortable doing.

Andy
Hop Frog
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Since these were not made as a prop for the film and are an artists work that might still be alive even, I have a real problem with copying these. Especially since they are out there to be had. I saw 2 in the last few months. They may even be copies themselves, but this is not something I am comfortable doing.

Andy

Fair enough. I did not mean to imply you should send me yours, Andy. Though I would not say I am planning on "copying" them. As I said I would like to preserve and archive the patterns as a restoration project. From what I can see the Robertsons have died, and their molds have been lost in time, like tears in rain... Smile I'll keep looking for a set on ebay. Thanks, Andy. Open invite to anyone who might obtain a set and feel comfortable in future letting me scan them in 3D.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify my earlier 'thinking out loud' suggestion about 3D printing.
I merely meant replicating the individual pieces that are no longer being produced but feature in the movie and differ from later versions, not the whole set and certainly not anything that is currently being sold legitimately.
I was definitely not suggesting any kind of commercial venture.
If I was in the position to attempt a project like that it would be a one-time deal for me and me alone.
Hop Frog
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: laser scanning Reply with quote

andy, i know what you mean. i recently acquired an original banbury studios set. but it has the king fisher pawns. the detail is very good. these pieces are so fragile though! very brittle. i have started laser scanning the larger back pieces, and it is really neat to finally have this set, and be able to compare it to rick's wonderful set. it's amazing how close rick came on his pieces.

i guess the only piece i need now to complete my archiving effort to preserve these pieces is an original wren pawn.

if anyone on this forum has a wren pawn they would be willing to send me to complete this project, i would be eternally grateful. i would only need it for a day or so, and could send it right back.

i plan to enlarge these pieces with the software, and making a lighted chess board with pieces about 6 inches to 12 inches tall once they are all scanned in.

fun project, indeed! Smile
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Hop Frog; eager to see pics of the finished pieces
Hop Frog
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: scan project progress Reply with quote

thought i would post some progress pictures of the scanning project.

it has been very slow going. the scans are very time consuming, and i had to build a new computer to handle all the data points.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

image tags fixed

Andy
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most excellent, TFS with us Cool
Hop Frog
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Wren Pawn Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Most excellent, TFS with us Cool

Thanks. Work has kept me busy, but the project is slowly moving forward. All I really need now is an original Wren Pawn to scan. If anyone on this forum community knows anyone with an original wren pawn they would be willing to lend me for a week to scan, I can offer 1000 dollars deposit to ensure safe return, and 250 dollars for the privilege of borrowing the piece for a week. Alternatively, can offer 1000 bucks for a full original set. I have been searching on ebay, but these sets hardly ever come up any more it seems. I am trying to get this project finished for my father, who loved blade runner and chess, and is getting on now. Not sure how much time he has left. Crying or Very sad
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your Father Hop Frog; I hope you'll get the piece and produce that fantastic prop for him to have
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes on your project Hopfrog.
Amazing to see the dedication you're putting into it.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get a pawn yet Hopfrog?

Andy
Hop Frog
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Did you get a pawn yet Hopfrog?

Andy

no, andy. still looking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: