FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Need help IDing old Blaster kit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Need help IDing old Blaster kit Reply with quote

Hi, new here, I wanted to see if y'all can help me ID this blaster kit that I am currently restoring.

I purchased this blaster kit about 10+ years ago from a comic book store in NYC (Village Comics). I recently found it in my closet and thought I'd try to restore it. It's pretty beat up, but I thought there might be enough detail for all you experts out there to identify it. From what I remember, I paid about 100 bucks for it, it was packaged in a plain white box, and as you can see, it's a pretty crappy cast. And some pieces were missing. Just thought it would be interesting to see if there was any info on it.

Thanks in advance, this is a great place!

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Interesting. It doesn't look like any of the usuall guns I know of but it does have eliments of both Rick Ross's PKD and the Coyle Guns. I have pictures of an unbuilt one of these kits but no manufacturer was named...
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Very Interesting. It doesn't look like any of the usuall guns I know of but it does have eliments of both Rick Ross's PKD and the Coyle Guns. I have pictures of an unbuilt one of these kits but no manufacturer was named...

Hey! That's it! Well at least having a picture of the original kit is a start. Do you remember where you got the picture from? I do see a lot of Rick Ross' PKD in this. I wonder if he would know anything about this...

Only thing is, I'm almost 100% sure I bought this back in the mid 90s. I dont know much about the history of these Blaster kits. At least not from that far back. I wish the internet was around back then so I could have done some research before I bought it...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I started my research back then too. I kind of feel like an archeologist now Smile...Most of the pictures and information I got from Ebay over the years. Most of these sellers all thought they had a Rick Ross or Coyle C&S and often named them as such even though to us they obviously werent either. This particular Kit Does look like a Coyle that had been simplified and had PKD parts thrown into it like the thumb switch and a few other things. Since many of these garage kit makers were fly by night, there is probably very little information on them.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I got the same kit or a recast of it about 8-9 years ago at a toy show. Few years ago I took rubberized grip spray and applied several generous coats to the entire gun. It's my "stunt" version. Very Happy

I've seen Andy's kit on ebay recently. Probably recast so many times by now no one knows the origin.

Can't remeber the name of the seller but I do recall the white box label called it a PDK Blaster instead of PKD. Pretty sad when recasters don't even know the significance of PKD. Hell, probably never saw Blade Runner just hit it with rubber and put it up on ebay.
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can tell you that the kit pictured above existed before I started work on my PKD-I back in 1996. I remember seeing it in Village Comics. It cost about $40 to $45. I think the company name was "Resinations" or something "Armory". I cannot remember now. I do remember when I first saw this kit, I knew that it was not very accurate and it helped to inspire me to do one of my own.

Rick
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember now. I believe it was called "Collector's Armory"

The other company was called "Resinations From The Abyss", but "Collector's Armory" was the one selling the kit shown above, if I'm remembering correctly.
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I wish I started my research back then too. I kind of feel like an archeologist now Smile...Most of the pictures and information I got from Ebay over the years. Most of these sellers all thought they had a Rick Ross or Coyle C&S and often named them as such even though to us they obviously werent either. This particular Kit Does look like a Coyle that had been simplified and had PKD parts thrown into it like the thumb switch and a few other things. Since many of these garage kit makers were fly by night, there is probably very little information on them.

Well the picture was great to see, regardless, thanks for your help!
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedirick wrote:
I think I got the same kit or a recast of it about 8-9 years ago at a toy show. Few years ago I took rubberized grip spray and applied several generous coats to the entire gun. It's my "stunt" version. Very Happy

I've seen Andy's kit on ebay recently. Probably recast so many times by now no one knows the origin.

Can't remeber the name of the seller but I do recall the white box label called it a PDK Blaster instead of PKD. Pretty sad when recasters don't even know the significance of PKD. Hell, probably never saw Blade Runner just hit it with rubber and put it up on ebay.

A rubberized PKD sound fun! I just tried to put primer on this thing, and I think it's too far gone. The primer is lifting right off the resin. Oh well...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch more pics of the unbuilt kit. I may post them to the board, but I am running out of space for them on my photobucket account. If you want me to email them to you PM me your email address.

Rick thank you for those names on the guns. It had the name in my folders as "unknown almost clone Coyle resin kit". I may just have to post a few more of my unknowns to see if we can get more names to them. Even if they arent accurate at least it gives us more to work off of.

Andy
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doppelganger01 wrote:
I remember now. I believe it was called "Collector's Armory"

The other company was called "Resinations From The Abyss", but "Collector's Armory" was the one selling the kit shown above, if I'm remembering correctly.

SWEET! Thanks for the info Rick! I had a feeling you would have the answer for me (being that you're local and all)! I will do some googling and see if I can find any info on them.

BTW- I just have do some ass kissin' here, You ROCK! And your PKDs are gorgeous!

Last edited by enero on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I have a bunch more pics of the unbuilt kit. I may post them to the board, but I am running out of space for them on my photobucket account. If you want me to email them to you PM me your email address.

Rick thank you for those names on the guns. It had the name in my folders as "unknown almost clone Coyle resin kit". I may just have to post a few more of my unknowns to see if we can get more names to them. Even if they arent accurate at least it gives us more to work off of.

Andy

That would be great! You should totally post them! It would be awesome to see all the different kits that have come and gone through the years.

Aren't there like a bunch of sites that host images for free other then photobucket? If you can't find another one, let me know, I'd be glad to host them for you. Just PM me.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have over 300mb of BR blaster pics. Mostly stuff I got off of ebay, which means they are not mine to display. Of course I think fair use would apply here. I will show a few at a time especially with the Blaster ID thread. I need to keep posting them here and maybe the RPF to see what information I can get on the guns for MY timeline/history project. I have been focusing mostly on Rick and Rich's work because they were the most successfull or at least most identifyable. I have been working nights so I have been a little slow on getting much done lately. The help of the people on this board and from Rick and Rich has kept me inspired though.
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I have over 300mb of BR blaster pics. Mostly stuff I got off of ebay, which means they are not mine to display. Of course I think fair use would apply here. I will show a few at a time especially with the Blaster ID thread. I need to keep posting them here and maybe the RPF to see what information I can get on the guns for MY timeline/history project. I have been focusing mostly on Rick and Rich's work because they were the most successfull or at least most identifyable. I have been working nights so I have been a little slow on getting much done lately. The help of the people on this board and from Rick and Rich has kept me inspired though.

dang thats a lot! Are they all lo-res? I'm good at optimizing images. I do it for work everyday, let me know if you need any help with them. I cant wait to see them!

On a side note, what is up with RPF? I've been trying to join for like 6 months now and finally I was able to 3 weeks ago, only to find that the account is in newbie limbo and I can't post or edit my profile! Was the drama that bad there that they had to be this cautious? All I really want to do is contact a member to see if I can buy one of his pieces Sad
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registration there is only open for about 2 weeks every 3 months or so. Plus, they're so afraid of the Boogymen that they've enacted a policy whereby you need an e-mail account with a paid service (no hotmail, gmail, AOL or any other free service accounts) in order for your membership to be accepted.

If you can't get in and just need to contact a member regarding a sale, you can ask someone that is a member there to pass along your contact information and interest to the seller. I've done it a number of times for friends that aren't members there.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A rubberized PKD sound fun! I just tried to put primer on this thing, and I think it's too far gone. The primer is lifting right off the resin. Oh well...

I'd suggest washing the parts in warm soapy water. pat dry, the use a hairdryer on medium. Then wipe down with regular rubbing alcohol. Let the parts sit a bit and then try your primer.

Performix brand Plsti-dip spray is comes in black and several other colors. Great for gun grips as well as rubberizing the whole gun. Several layers applied will even serve to protedct a resin item when dropped.

I used the stuff on my latex Robocop torso as well and it was great!
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two solid cast versions of this blaster, and if I am not mistaken, it's origin is from a company called "starline" or "star arms". It's been awhile Smile

I think this dates back to the late 1980's.

Don't quote me on it though Smile

As a PS "Collectors Armory" was not a manufacturer, they were only ever a catalog company that sold replicas, mostly guns and swords, they got lost of MGC cap guns, larami squirt guns and the like. Tons of Denix stuff. I ordered from them back in the 80's, and I still have 3 of thier catalogs. Smile I never had the heart to throw them away because of how much I enjoyed flipping through them.

I STILL want 1 of everything in the catalogs.
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
I have two solid cast versions of this blaster, and if I am not mistaken, it's origin is from a company called "starline" or "star arms". It's been awhile Smile

I think this dates back to the late 1980's.

Don't quote me on it though Smile

As a PS "Collectors Armory" was not a manufacturer, they were only ever a catalog company that sold replicas, mostly guns and swords, they got lost of MGC cap guns, larami squirt guns and the like. Tons of Denix stuff. I ordered from them back in the 80's, and I still have 3 of thier catalogs. Smile I never had the heart to throw them away because of how much I enjoyed flipping through them.

I STILL want 1 of everything in the catalogs.

Hey Noeland, Thanks for the info! I'm glad that you guys have been so informative about all this, it's great to see so may die-hards working away!

I actually visited the Collector's Armory website the other day. I remember those guys from my youth, I think i had a couple of their catalogs as well. I also still have a musket that I bought from them in my mom's garage somewhere Very Happy

Do you still have these blasters? I would love to see what you did for your paint job. I looked at your post with your collection, but I couldn't spot them in the group shot.

Thanks again!
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedirick wrote:
Quote:

I'd suggest washing the parts in warm soapy water. pat dry, the use a hairdryer on medium. Then wipe down with regular rubbing alcohol. Let the parts sit a bit and then try your primer.

Performix brand Plsti-dip spray is comes in black and several other colors. Great for gun grips as well as rubberizing the whole gun. Several layers applied will even serve to protedct a resin item when dropped.

I used the stuff on my latex Robocop torso as well and it was great!

I'm actually gonne resand it and then give it an acetone bath before I try putting anything on again. I think my problem was that I just didnt get enough of the old paint off, and as soon as I put the primer on it, all the old paint resaturated and made it's way out of the cracks and pours. I admit it, I was being lazy...

I might try your rubber idea if I dont think I can save this thing, if nothing else it'll be fun to throw around!
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkknight0667 wrote:
Registration there is only open for about 2 weeks every 3 months or so. Plus, they're so afraid of the Boogymen that they've enacted a policy whereby you need an e-mail account with a paid service (no hotmail, gmail, AOL or any other free service accounts) in order for your membership to be accepted.

If you can't get in and just need to contact a member regarding a sale, you can ask someone that is a member there to pass along your contact information and interest to the seller. I've done it a number of times for friends that aren't members there.

I'm probably better off anyway. I can't deal with drama. But I would love it if you can contact someone for me, would you mind terribly? Let me know and I'll PM you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: