FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
ALIEN DERELICT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I think Cameron and the visual team did a pretty good work by addding stuff that every collector/model-maker wants to have in his possession: pulse rifle, drop-ship, power-loader, etc...and the story line is not bad either.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steevy wrote:
Aliens is a very different film.Ridley did the whole "monster loose on a ship thing"so well you can't expect to do a sequel that tops it.So Cameron went action movie with it and did it very well.It is not without it's problems(the whole queen vs Ripley angle was pretty stupid)but it is a good film in it's own right.

That final bit is kind of what did it for me in regards to Aliens. We were watching this a few weeks ago, and during the big finale, we are made to believe that Ripley is strong enough to hang onto a ladder strut with an alien queen holding onto her ankle, and a power loader on top of that, while the ship is decompressing.

I remember turning to my friend and remarking: "Shit, if I was that strong, I'd have just climbed out of the powerloader and kicked that thing's ass myself."

Not a bad action movie on its own merits, but it hasn't aged nearly as well as the original.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
3720to1
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i watched A L I E N again for the first time in a long time and man that movie is awesome! The scene where Ripley is in her undies and she walks over to the control panel and the alien pops out at her still makes me jump LOL
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what did it for me as far as Alien-2 was the disappointment.

I was living with room-mates and we watched ALIEN about everyday before the premier of the second movie. I thought the shuttle getting picked up was cool, but the part about the colonists being there kind of created some "cognitive dissonance" as far as continuity with the original plot line. The thing that was really a letdown was the overly cliched use of the "marines" going in to face the "aliens"

Probably people my age can relate, but in the early 80's there was just a slew of war movies, mostly dealing with Vietnam, and it seemed that the story-line was half thought out, because all they did was borrow every lame line and situation from an 80's war-flick. all too easy and unimaginative.

The other thing that got me, is the Aliens were changed, they ceased to become the 7+ foot graceful creatures, and morphed into slightly overweight stuntmen wearing rubber suits. No-one could compare with Bolaji the original actor, as far as physique and stature... so this kind of ruined the movie. I dont think the "powers-that-be" understand how important casting is for such an important role in a movie like this. a few of the aliens even looked like "oompa-loompas" from Willy Wonka.

I remember we snuck some beer and vodka into the theater, and about to the part where they found that girl..we walked out and drank beer... The only character I like was Bishop. that was pretty good. But the rest of the film was a real downer.. Just my opinion
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I enjoyed the second movie as a fun action flick, I have to agree with you. I find very little original about it. The first movie is a work of art though, and a very close second in my all time favorite movie list. The sequel barely makes the top 20 if that.

Andy
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade runner and Alien are tied for me..but I only have money for one movies prop collection Laughing Laughing Laughing..

..still waiting for my "FREE GOLD KIT" to arrive! Laughing Laughing Laughing
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Aliens doesn't hold up as the classic like Alien does.It was merely a pretty good action movie.Parker you are absolutely correct on the portrayal of the Marines in the movie.Ripley was the surprise hero in the first movie,she was terrified but she acted for self preservation and succeeded.In Aliens Ripley suddenlyis not only more competent than the military professionals, she storms into the hive alone and carries away Newt from the midst of the alien horde.Earlier in the movie the Marine Hicks shows her how a pulse rifle functions and mere hours later she uses it more efficiently and expertly than the Marines!!Now we must sit through movie after movie with the now cliche female buttkicker ala Ripley!!Thank Jim Cameron.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Actually you raise a great point there... Actually Sigourney Weaver was allowed run-away control of the rest of the movies, and her ego was just as much to blame as Cameron...But what a great point you made.... that is an underlying problem with ALIEN-2.

A female action hero, something new in 1979..? GREAT! COOL! ORIGINAL! but redoing the same thing 3 more times... lame. How she defeated the ALien in the original...totally believable... Ripley was scared SH***ESS , and just by pure luck she was able to kill the beast.

But in the ALIEN-2, she acts like the all knowing invulnerable hero. No Humanity at all. Confused Confused Confused
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say it was pure luck at all. She used her intelligence as well as ability to stay focused to kill the Alien in the first movie. If they had listened to her in the fist place the alien never would have got on board.

Real bravery is also ability to function with fear, not not having any fear. The now cliche' action hero is something I am totally tired of, regardless of sex. Just like the perfect bodies and complexions of Hollywood actors, it is also an unrealistic expectation that has given us all a complex.

All the characters in the first movie are realistic in my opinion. Now most movie characters are some kind of idealized person, even the tragic heroes.

Andy

Last edited by andy on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Dennis Lowe's archives :

From Phil Rae's archives :

Hope it'll help !

Fred
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Fred!!!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those pics Fred! Thanks.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: New Derelict almost ready Reply with quote

I have the small version of the new derelict model kit almost ready to mold. to tell the truth, it looks creepier and better proportioned than anything out there yet. I have a few days more details to add, and in about 2 weeks it should be ready. I am sending out three test casts to anyone interested, you just pay shipping (about 5 bucks US) and a little more outside the states. One is already spoken for to another member. PM me here if you want one of the first 3 kits for free!

The next derelict will be a large size 2 footer kit

-JT
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...one left.....
hole dweller
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am re-issuing the Seahorse Derelict later this year. The molds will be started next month.

Here are some pictures of the kit. It was re-tooled slightly and will include the original base and brass numbered plaques.

Gary
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Derelict model looks good so far! Reply with quote

I think the only change I would make would be to see if you could make the bridge dome a seperate clear piece (like this derelict model here):

Derelict resin model kit

more Derelict images

I would also design it so it has a bottom; the model on the above links doesn't have a bottom to it, since it rests on the base.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the run of first three goes to Skinjob66, Monroeville, and hole-dweller.

Thanks for the interest guys, I think you will enjoy them, and I will price them at about 20 bucks when I mass produce them.
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtparker wrote:
the run of first three goes to Skinjob66, Monroeville, and hole-dweller.

Thanks for the interest guys, I think you will enjoy them, and I will price them at about 20 bucks when I mass produce them.

Thanks JT! When I get mine, I will post a review so to speak.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool model hole dweller, I really like the base.. unfortunately I wont has such a nice one, it will have a more rough rocky base it will kind of sit in, but I am doing the bottom based on what I can tell from the egg chamber shape.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a quick update on the Space Jockey ship small sized kit I am doing,

this thing is the most difficult shape I have ever had to copy, it took many reshapes to get it right, and I used a lot of the original H.R. Giger reference pics to get it right. On top of my job kicking my ass during the day, and trying to finish the Nostromo kit for production, this is taking me longer than I ever thought. The details consist if fine thread dipped in thinned glue and then wrapped all over the parts. the hatches and everything is coming out very accurate. the shape is very nice and graceful. Since my photobucket account has been restricted unless I give them more money for bandwidth, you can view the pics of the start of the final detailing on this blog:

http://alienthemovie.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: