FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
ALIEN... Remake or Reboot?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: ALIEN... Remake or Reboot? Reply with quote

There's rumors flying around the net at the moment of a remake of Ridley Scott's ALIEN... the articles have since been saying that it will be a reboot / origins type story... make of it what you will.
Carl Rinsch (who makes commercials for Ridley's Scott Free Productions) has been tipped to direct, with Ridley and Tony Scott producing... which, if true, could turn out quite nicely. Would not want to see a remake, though...

Article at Ain't It Cool News, with a link to the original article at BloodyDisgusting.com.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41210
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard this aswell.
Don't wanna see a remake, wouldn't do it any justice.
If Ridley's involved though, could turn out nice.
Just NO remake Smile
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a great earthquake. The sun became black as sackcloth made of hair, and the whole moon became as blood.

The stars of the sky fell to the earth, like a fig tree dropping its unripe figs when it is shaken by a great wind.

The sky was removed like a scroll when it is rolled up. Every mountain and island were moved out of their places.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone can relax..from what I have heard the "reboot" word is being used to try to erase any connections to the ALIEN spin-off movies. From what I understand this movie is going to explain the origins of the Space Jockey race, and the first human awareness of the "carry-all" ship or the what the space jockey race was doing as far as planet-wide de-populations using the ALIEN (presumably a genetically manufactured weapon)

Whether this is going to be good or bad, I dont know. Sometimes I think its best left a mystery, but then again my sense is, as long as Ridley Scott is doing it, and Sigourney Weaver has NOTHING to do with it, The movie will probably be awesome. It needs to be cerebral, not an action flick.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the term "reboot" has become the new hot term after 'Star Trek' did so well. I have heard like others that this has been in the works for a while and it will avoid the AvP story lines completely. This is the first time I heard the term associated with it though.

Andy
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way it goes, I highly doubt that without Ridley Scott at the helm, nobody's going to come close to the level of detail and layering that's going to sell me that this is a worn down tug making a long haul through the backroad of the galaxy.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:
Either way it goes, I highly doubt that without Ridley Scott at the helm, nobody's going to come close to the level of detail and layering that's going to sell me that this is a worn down tug making a long haul through the backroad of the galaxy.

well said... I heard "reboot" from reading that link Space Jockey posted, But I havent seen the star trek movie.. They look like little kids in the commercial. I Imagine If Ridley Scott does it, it will be great. If they even dare talk about remaking blade runner, I think I will just move off of the Planet.... face it, Hollywood has had a banner year in suck-cessfull movie remakes, pure manure Crying or Very sad
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridley had been saying for a long time that he didn't want to do another Science Fiction movie until all the press tours for the Final Cut had people begging him to do another one. Now he has several on his plate in the works. I wonder if he still has that "Old Blade Runner/Alien magic". I certainly hope so.

Andy
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtparker wrote:
Sometimes I think its best left a mystery

My thoughts aswell.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-boot, re-make; other variations on a theme. For now it's just blah-blah...time will tell if Ridley really wants to dwell back in the science fiction world of Alien.
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be amazing if Ridley made more sci-fi stuff, just not an ALIEN remake Smile
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he's supposed to do THE FOREVER WAR... I must say I'd LOVE to see this happen !!!

Fred
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to wonder if he did a new sci fi picture, would the studios still give him as much shit in regards to the budget on VFX as they did back then? Probably they would, since the studio would want it done green screen and CGI instead of actual sets and props.

Yeah hollywood has evidently tapped out the mine of SNL films, and is now moving on to mining the '70s and remaking anything that showed even a nickel at the box office or ratings on tv. I'm just waiting for them to reboot the Love Boat as a high tension action thriller about a cruise ship hijacking with Christian Bale as Captain Stubing.

As cool as it would be to see Ridley Scott do something with the Jockey's background history, at the same time it would lose that special mystery that made it so effective in the original. Its almost like the lack of explanation about where it came from or what it was lent it the air of a real fossil, something that spoke of a time before humans. A force of nature that was brought low by the alien. It was very Lovecraftian in that regard. Something that we couldn't hope to understand but existed in our universe.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about that..better left a mystery.. and if there is even a bit of CGI, i wont go see it..
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure if Ridley is above using a little bit of CG now and then, I'm sure if he had it while filming BR he would've use it and ditch the glass plate and the matte paintings to achieve a better look/effect.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:

As cool as it would be to see Ridley Scott do something with the Jockey's background history, at the same time it would lose that special mystery that made it so effective in the original. Its almost like the lack of explanation about where it came from or what it was lent it the air of a real fossil, something that spoke of a time before humans. A force of nature that was brought low by the alien. It was very Lovecraftian in that regard. Something that we couldn't hope to understand but existed in our universe.

Totaly agree with you, that mystery adds a lot to the movie !

Fred
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
Well, he's supposed to do THE FOREVER WAR... I must say I'd LOVE to see this happen !!!

Fred

I'd love to see this too! One of my favorite books of all time.
I've read a lot of Joe Haldeman, and I've probably read The Forever War a dozen times. Smile
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like an ALIEN Prequel is a go, confirmed by Tony Scott.
See the article here http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41241

They would have to bring Giger back on board too - cannot see how it would work without him.

Also here: http://www.collider.com/2009/05/29/exclusive-tony-scott-confirms-carl-rinsch-is-directing-alien-and-its-a-prequel/
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story is getting weirder by the day. Why is Ridley Scott not directing this???

Seems to me Scott is setting someone else up to be the fallguy.
The least he can do is Direct his own film.

Obviously Scott is not at all serious about this from what I have read in the past 24 hours.

George Lucas only did one thing right during the Star-wars saga ..and that one thing was Irvin Kershner directing the Empire Strikes Back, in my opinion the best film of them all.

Sorry to burst Mr. Scotts bubble, but Carl Rinsch is no Irvin Kershner.

Rinsch does TV commericals.

Optimism has given way to disappointment..

I can already tell this promises to be a disaster from the start.
..What a bummer...
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know; I think this could be quite interesting.

Ridley only had 'The Duellists' under his belt before he started work on Alien. Previously, he'd done a great many commercials, after training as a set designer with the BBC.

Whilst making Alien, it's no secret that he found it frustrating trying to put forward his vision for the movie whilst being at odds with the producers and 'the suits'. But Alien had gone on, along with BladeRunner, to set a standard for futuristic sci-fi.

My feeling is that maybe he saw something special in Carl Rinsch's work. I've always been a huge fan of commercial and music-video directing - everything that's put into a two hour movie need to be condensed into a 30 second ad or a 4 minute video and that takes some doing, and there are some terrific and very well done commercials out there.

With Ridley and Tony Scott as producers, they still have some creative control, whilst also maybe being able to shield Rinsch from some of flak from Fox (fingers crossed). And I feel much more comfortable with a director that has worked in an 'apprenticeship' doing commercials under the wing of Ridley Scott's RSA company than some other director like Paul WS Anderson... At this point, I'm looking forward to see what they come up with. They must get Giger involved, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: