FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Unusual Blade Runner Badge

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Unusual Blade Runner Badge Reply with quote

I recently got a badge off E-bay that I've never seen before.It's the LAPD style shield. On the top(Scroll) in has Blade Runner on it and on the bottom(Rocker) it has Neocron Police. I got it from a guy in Germany and I think he still has one up on his site.I don't have an image to post(I don't have a scanner) Has anyone heard of this one? Thanks
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this on ebay many times. The seller seems to be an ok guy from past experiences with him. Though, I have never bought this particular badge.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can this badge be engraved with the Number on the banner?
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure it can. You can probably find someone local to you to do it, however, it might be tricky because it is a police badge of sorts. Otherwise, if someone local cannot do it, try asking here and at the RPF.

Let us know how you make out!
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC this particular badge style originated with Dr. Strangeloves run of fantasy BR badges and wallets back 3-4 years ago. It's a realatively common badge style sold at several badge making sites. You can orsder them with most any wording.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys here list the BR LAPD Badge and can do custom badges. Also you may be able to get a set of Die Stamps to stamp the # in and then fill them with acrylic color. It may flake off any chroming though and destroy the badge's surface. I personally would try to lay down the numbers with dry transfer numbers and then mask off the ribbon area and give it a gloss coat to protect it. Stencil and paint could also work. There are always a ton of options. Picking them is the hard part.

andy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this badge on ebay too. The word "Neocron" comes from an online RPG game, and they have a board called "Pepper Park" that has a suedo Blade Runner vibe.

Description from the site:

Pepper Park is where the party is at: It is the district where you will find the best clubs and bars, meet the most beautiful girls, get the highest quality drugs and steriods and buy the best illegal weapons. But be careful: These weapons are not only to be sold in Pepper Park but also likely to be tested out around here. The NCPD loosely patrols the area, ...but don’t count on it.

Here is the main site.
http://ng.neocron.com/

A bit of a description of the game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocron

So, I think this badge was made by someone who is a fan of the film, and of this game. Smile

The game otherwise has a very "Matrix" kind of feel. Lots of GREEN and black.

Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too bought this badge some time ago:

And it wasn't until I dug-up this old thread that I figured out what the NeoCron thing was about.
I had NO luck finding anyone who would put the numbers on it for me, I must have gone to a dozen different engravers. I also wanted to change the "NoeCron" to Los Angeles Police but couldn't even find any premade stencil like letters that were small enough.

Now, I know there was no badge in the wallet but I would still love to work this thing over...thoughts anyone?
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some letter transfer decals for your numbers. They come in dry rub-on or water slide on styles.

Here are some examples of fonts to use and the spacing. These examples are all die stamped numbers, not decals, but you can see how the finished product can look.

It is difficult for a badge maker to re-do a finished badge. The badges are flat and raw metal when the letters and numbers are stamped or die struck, then the badge is shaped and curved, finish applied, enamel added to letters and numbers and seal, the enamel dries or is baked, then the final finish processes are completed. To try to stamp numbers at this point, or to change existing lettering, is extremely difficult and cost prohibitive in most cases.

Try the decal method. It is inexpensive and may just do the trick for a display badge.

One other method is what studio prop guys do alot. They use a label maker and gold / silver foil material. They make the name or number they need by having the label maker print it on to the sticky back foil and apply that on the badge. Up close it looks a little cheesy IMHO but it works perfectly for screen work.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks eltee, very helpful!
I have to ask though:
Quote:
styles

Is that a brand name? And where might you
suggest I find these rub ons? I have looked
and looked for letters and numbers in the correct size.
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about doing another run, if there is enough interest, I could be convinced.

-Bryan
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ya' go, can't do much better than Bryan's LAPD shield for Blade Runners. If he offers them, snap one up.

For the decals, try a hobby (model kits / railroads) or an art store. One brand is Letraset (sp?).
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One brand is Letraset (sp?).

Yep, LETRASET is the best. I f you can find some, grab them because with the past years rise of X-Press and Photoshop softwares, they've become more and more difficult to find !
(Try eBay, maybe...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: