FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
USCSS Nostromo - Discussion Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: USCSS Nostromo - Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Last week Fred mentioned that it would be good to get a thread going on the Nostromo - a place for general discussion and ideas to be thrown around, as well as reference material, concepts, sketches and photos, not just on the models, but also the set design, ship layout and the like.
And so, here it is. Enjoy!

Last edited by Space Jockey on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice blueprint! Cool

Sigh... well I guess it's time to start moving over from the unceremoniously "closed" RPF thread...

Last edited by phase pistol on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff phase pistol!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Graham, your NOSTROMO blueprints are GREAT !!! Really glad to finaly have a chance to discover them !!!

Shocked

The shape, proportions and surface detailing look spot on, but I have 2 questions if you don't mind :

Don't you think the legs are a little too high (and maybe too huge) compared to the ship ?

Where's Ash's blister ???

Fred

PS : Here are a few pics of the leg model + a leg blueprint Phil Rae sent me last year (Hope it'll be OK to post those here)... Please note the little astronaut aside the leg on the blueprint... Very useful to determine the size of the ship, don't you think ?

Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coooool! Great Shots!
Cheers Fred, this image is a 'teaser' low res image; I'm still working on the blueprints. I thought it'd make a great intro to the thread.

I have a couple of thoughts to the undercarraige legs; yes, both the undercarriage doors and the legs are too high - I've tried to match the model... however, this is my interpretation of how the undercarraige doors and legs would look when fully extended, i.e. in space, and not on the ground. As the ship lands and touches the planet surface, the hydraulics take up the weight of the ship, and the undercarraige sinks into the ship to take up the weight and account for the planet gravity. When looking at the large scale sets of the undercarriage, the legs are shorter because of the weight of the ship bearing on the hydraulics. Also the two antenna on the underside swing up too so they don't clash with the landscape.

Ash's blister.... haven't a clue. I reckon it's next to the front leg with the airlock, purely from the perspective that this end of the ship is where the infirmary / autodoc and mainly habitable parts of the ship are. The port and starboard nacelles just seem to house all the intake / exhaust and some propulsion equipment. And the crew would have a heck of a long way to walk through the ship to get Kane to the autodoc.

But thoughts and pics please! And I'll work on it and get it included.

Last edited by Space Jockey on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those blueprints are looking incredible Space Jockey I love what you did with the black background this time
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only logical place the airlock could be is on one of the 2 "steps" on the hull around the landing strut area. I imagine it is facing rearward..
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JTP! Yeah, I'm not sure how long exactly the ship is supposed to be... I read somewhere it was 800ft long, but I'm not sure if the dimension was taken from the very front antenna to the rear, or the front of the bridge nose to the rear...
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same question myself
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
Coooool! Great Shots!
Cheers Fred, this image is a 'teaser' low res image; I'm still working on the blueprints. I thought it'd make a great intro to the thread.

I have a couple of thoughts to the undercarraige legs; yes, both the undercarriage doors and the legs are too high - I've tried to match the model... however, this is my interpretation of how the undercarraige doors and legs would look when fully extended, i.e. in space, and not on the ground. As the ship lands and touches the planet surface, the hydraulics take up the weight of the ship, and the undercarraige sinks into the ship to take up the weight and account for the planet gravity. When looking at the large scale sets of the undercarriage, the legs are shorter because of the weight of the ship bearing on the hydraulics. Also the two antenna on the underside swing up too so they don't clash with the landscape.

OF COURSE !!! Should have noticed this !!!

BTW, are you going to leave it this way on the final blueprints or draw them shorter ?

Quote:
Ash's blister.... haven't a clue. I reckon it's next to the front leg with the airlock, purely from the perspective that this end of the ship is where the infirmary / autodoc and mainly habitable parts of the ship are. The port and starboard nacelles just seem to house all the intake / exhaust and some propulsion equipment. And the crew would have a heck of a long way to walk through the ship to get Kane to the autodoc.

It makes sense !

Quote:
But thoughts and pics please! And I'll work on it and get it included.

Here you go, Sir !
I've already posted the B&W pic but since I've seen the one just above I just don't know what to think anymore... Could this panel on top right of the first pic be a part of the hull (looks too low) or even a part of the Blister hull ??? Must admit I'm confused once more regarding that damn blister location...

See by yourself...

Fred

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
Thanks JTP! Yeah, I'm not sure how long exactly the ship is supposed to be... I read somewhere it was 800ft long, but I'm not sure if the dimension was taken from the very front antenna to the rear, or the front of the bridge nose to the rear...

Hey mates, please take a look at this Cobb design... See the small characters under the rear of ship and the hand written indication about the size of a man related to the cockpit window ? This could be useful to calculate the total length of the ship by using a human body as metric reference... We could also use the windows dimensions since they were created on the sets and the models, they could be an ideal ref to help determine the size of the ship ?

Fred

phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Bridge windows are a much better scale... tiny figures in a pencil sketch are too whimsical.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Freds pic in Starlog or fantastic film from 30 years ago, wow, it has been a long time since I have seen that. Which brings me to another point. That strange object next to the lift platform is not one of the legs, It is way to close to be one, and it has part of the mechanism that makes it work. It seems to be some type of anchoring system that the elevator uses..Looks a bit like a small part of the landing claw.. or they put it there to hide whatever device they used to make the lift work. I think I have got this lift thing figured out at least...maybe the blister as well.....
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the airlock sequence, The airlock door opens what appears to be directly facing the upper portion of the landing struts from the actual interior wall of the strut well. I can actually see one of the strut doors opened down to the right in this shot. maybe Phase Pistol can do a couple hi-res screen captures of this scene where they are sitting in the airlock as it decompresses and the door opens.... apparently the lift somehow comes down and pivots away a very short distance from the landing claw.

If not directly from the claw well, then very near.. I think that pic posted of the possible hatch is correct, it is probably on a rolling scaffold that they lined up correctly before filming the sequence...

Last edited by Mark Sheppard on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to propsummit guys. Great to have you here.

Andy
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is this part of the ship which hangs down; though it's shape and location seem to change depending on the shot and/or model used. It's right around the landing leg area, though.

And I've always liked this sketch from the Book of Alien / Alien DVD:

Also, look; when the crew are bored, they grab these masks hanging in the corridor and play paintball. Cool, huh?
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Welcome to propsummit guys. Great to have you here.

Andy

Cheers, Andy! Very Happy
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might have found it...the strut doors are just actually a little further back

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 1 of 39

Jump to: