FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
a very important message regarding Sidkit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is truly sad. I have had quite a few exhanges with him through email and online at the forums. He was always sincere and honest in all of his actions with me.

He will truly be missed.

Rest in peace my friend.

Tom
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid made a monumental contribution to the community and at the same time its rewarding to know the caliber of person he was - clearly a caring and dedicated human being.

If we could all get the the end of things and have others remember us for our contribution to humanity, then aside from whatever other contributions we have made, we have earned the right to immortality.

Travel well Sid... Sad
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to show a few prop replicas to honor Siderio's memory.

Here is a SPACE 1999 commlock and laser, which were built for me by Michele and Siderio.

clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read through this and I can't believe it. I can't accept it. I need to see an obiturary or something. Damn.
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we sure this guy is a reliable source of information?If it's true RIP.
darthsnikelfritz
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a feeling something was wrong, but nothing like this. My condolence to his friends and family. And thank you Sidero for sharing your talent with us.

R.I.P
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others have mentioned that they feared something might have happened to Siderio, but it never really occurred to me. Since our earliest communications years ago, when I made my first purchase of a "Black Star LE" from SidKit (then known as "Magnetic Models"), I knew that Siderio's mother was ailing and that he was caring for her. So I had assumed his recent absence was related to that, and expected him to return online in time. I am stunned and saddened to know now that this time will never come.

In my transactions with Siderio, he was never less than gracious, friendly, encouraging, and generous. Long ago, when I had the idea that I might like to try using a rubber spray on the grip of my SidKit Space:1999 Stun Gun kit, I expressed some reservations because I wasn't sure how it would come out. Without hesitation, Siderio told me, "Go ahead and try! If you don't like the result, I will send you a new grip free of charge." More recently, I purchased one of his WorldCon kits with amber grips. Months after the purchase, I decided I wanted to display the model with a polished metal finish and black grips. I asked Siderio whether I could purchase just a set of black rubber grips. It would have been so easy for him to respond, "Sure, how about $XX," and I gladly would have paid it. But instead, true to form, he said, "I'll send you a complimentary set!" And he did.

"Go ahead and try!" I guess that sums up my feeling for the spirit Siderio brought to his work, and the encouragement he gave to others.

I have always been impressed by his vision, especially as expressed in his smart engineering of his kits, the way he designed the moving parts, his use of metals and electronics.

His sudden, unexpected departure reminds me of the abrupt passing of Chris/FNG (owner of EVA Models and a member of the RPF and the Aliens Legacy Forum) last year, and of my own father's sudden death from heart failure in 1994. Life can end so abruptly.

I'll miss you, Sid, and your energetic, inspiring contributions to our community.

--

Alex, thank you for taking the time and trouble to let us all know what happened. Your consideration means a lot.

Please extend our respects, admiration, and condolences to Siderio's family.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Sid, you did quality work and you will be missed.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Alex T.
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, Michele has seen your posts and he told me that he will try and pass the messages to the family, I still hope to know more myself today!

steevy wrote:
Are we sure this guy is a reliable source of information?If it's true RIP.

steevy, I can understand your scepticism, but what I'm doing here is translating for this person, nothing more. I would leave all the speculations outside of this forum thread, as a form of respect anyways, and as I believe that if it wasn't true it would be a really bad taste hoax...
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad news, I still remember how exciting it was when those two boxes arrived on my step..............
RIP.
SaberFreak
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I don't log in for a couple of days and this happens! I'm utterly shocked!

Never knew Sid, and never dealt with him, but his work always awed me.

My deepest sympathy and condolences to his family.

If you guys get the fund for his mother going you can count on me to contribute!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A truly sad news...my sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Hasenbrau
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had the honor of dealing with Sid, as I was turned onto Bladerunner prop collecting and replica Blasters after his understandable retreat from the business. However through reading the occasional post by him and hearing all the positive things folks here on the forum have to say about their past dealings with the man, I have to say I am sad that I never got the opportunity to connect with him directly and share with him my enjoyment of this hobby.

Being an owner of one of his kits, I can say our little community has lost an exceptional talent and fine craftsman who, judging from others' dealings, was also a fine businessman and all around good guy. In fact, it is through reviews of his kits by members here on the forum, as well as those vicarious dealings others have had with him, and a general attitude gleaned through his posts that I made the decision to purchase a Sidkit. I try to make a conscience effort in any manufacturer I choose to support through my purchases and I don't buy product from people I don't like. So although I had never met Sidero, I knew I liked him.

I offer my respect and condolences and best wishes for his family may he rest in peace.
sanjuro
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will pray for him..
Alex T.
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank all the people who have been messaging me and expressing their solidariety for my "uncomfortable" position.

Michele told me that he will try and talk to the mother, I don't know the details, but I think that if we let them know that there's a lot of people in the world that really appreciated what Siderio made and what nice special person he was it would be nice.

Cheers

Alex
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Alex, and thank you, Michele, for letting his family know that Siderio was liked, respected, and admired by many people around the world.
Chronos
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is terrible news.

I thought that maybe he was just revamping his site...Confused

Thanks for letting us all know.

(BTW, those are really cool "Space: 1999" props, Phase Pistol.)
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:
Thank you, Alex, and thank you, Michele, for letting his family know that Siderio was liked, respected, and admired by many people around the world.

I'll second that.
moogybaby
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

With all due respect, you must understand that you are an unknown quantity in these parts.

From my short perusal of your post, I picked up two things-

a death notice and a for-sale post.

It's not that I don't believe you for, as you say, you're only relaying information provided to you. But surely there must have been an obituary in the local paper, a death notice, mass card, something.

I only ask as there are some who quite generously want to provide for Siderio's mother. I'd hate and I'm sure you would as well, to have them donating hard-earned money without some degree of assurance that their money was going where intended.

Thanks.

Tom
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Noeland that came up with the Idea about a memorial fund, not Alex. I also don't think anybody is willing to do that without a lot more information and proof. He has only offered to get people in touch with the guy that now owns Siderio's stuff, Something we can do on our own through Ebay, but would be much easier with somebody who speaks Italian. I have no problem with this.

I also have no problem with your scepticism, but please don't make make a mess of this thread. If you want to discuss the possibility of a hoax or scam in his death, please open a thread in the Pit. If you do come up with some proof of this hoax, I do however welcome that information here as well as the pit. In the mean time out of respect lets please keep it cool.

Thank you.
Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: