FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
R.I.P. John Alvin, Painted Blade Runner Poster

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: R.I.P. John Alvin, Painted Blade Runner Poster Reply with quote

Died: John Alvin. Painted numerous movie posters, including the one for Blade Runner (as well as E.T., Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein -- more than 135 in all). He was 59, and the cause was heart attack.

The full obituary can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/11/movies/11alvin.html?ref=obituaries

Sad. Sad

Last edited by docatomic on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too young to go.

- k
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad and indeed too young to go. Crying or Very sad
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: R.I.P. John Alvin, Painted Blade Runner Poster Reply with quote

I was deeply shocked to hear of the untimely passing of John Alvin.

Many of us know John and his art well and I'm sure that are many more out there who know his art not because they recognize his name, but because they just love his work. Blade Runner, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and many more all have special significance because, in many cases, John became almost synonymous with those brands.

I am privileged to have worked for the same Hollywood franchise as John and when I first bumped into this doyen of the art community, I found him deeply kind, rewarding with his time and above all, he was a true gentleman.

While I cannot claim to have known him well, the generous giving of his time, his considered consideration of work done by those around him and his warm personality, will forever be fondly remembered.

The secret to immortality is to live a life that others will remember us by and, it is safe to say that John Alvin through his humor, kindness and his mammoth legacy in art, will live on forever.

He is already deeply missed...
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news.

I just hope the guys at Dreams and Visions Press will still be able to produce an artbook devoted to his work, as planned... (They did an amazing job on "The Art of Ralph Mc Quarrie")

Follow the link for more info...

http://www.dreamsandvisionspress.com/index.html
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another link showing a good number of well known posters that he did, most of them are favorites:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35563
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sideshow is already cashing in on his work with their new print of his BR poster.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually he and Sideshow had been carrying the Giclee' prints for a little while now, along with Monsters in Motion. John just recently made these available (maybe to pay for medical costs for his illness?). He was in fact trying to "cash in on" the Current Blade Runner DVD set and media hoopla over the Final Cut. Especially since his 20th anniversary poster art was not used as he had hoped. His death like PKD's, was in a way poorly timed to cash in on his work. In many ways that makes his death even sadder.

I am sure his death will help his poster sales somewhat, but not to the same degree that the Movies re-release would. Basicly what I am saying is that it wasn't his death that motivated the sales of these posters at sideshow right now, so much as the Movie and John's desire to do so himself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: