FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
When I grow up, I want to be a WorldCon (Modded OffWorld)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: When I grow up, I want to be a WorldCon (Modded OffWorld) Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Well after the past month or so of being obsessed the BladeRunner blaster since receiving my BriefCase DVD edition at Christmas and drooling over people's pictures of their blasters, I finally finished modifying my OffWorld to make it look a little more like the WorldCon.

So here it is.

It took about 3 weekends of removing the existing paint, painting various sections and then finishing it off. But I must admit that for my first attempt at modding any sort of model, it has come out pretty good.

I have used a combination of Tamyia paints for the silver/steel parts and halfords satin black (sorry that only makes sense to Britons I know!!) for the black parts. Apart from the spray cans, most of it was airbrushed with a little bit of hand painting on the less visible bits. I also darkened the grips using some browny/red transparency printouts

I added some extra weight in the form of squashed lead airgun pellets in the barrel and butt plate which helps make it feel more realistic.

But let me know what you think - the blueing effect on the main frame has been rather over exaggerated on the photos - it's not that bad!!!

Special thanks to Kevin for his superb Precious Photos which he donated to the forum, as well as everyone who has helped and advised me on modifying the Offworld which is actually a superb model.

Thanks,

Chris

________
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Specifications

Last edited by ChrisNightingale on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks GREAT!!!
docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice! You've made it look more like a blaster, and less like a toy. I'm in the middle of modding my own Off World, and this is just the kind of inspiration I need to keep pushing forward with it. Smile

I like the idea of the squashed lead in the barrel and handle... I might experiment a bit with this to balance my blaster better. (If you don't mind my stealing your idea!)

Great job.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go. Looks much, much better!!!!

Thanks for sharing the work. I love seeing this thing modded out, always seems to look better.

Njc-----------
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offworldcon.

svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap Chris! That looks amazing, great work!

Certainly the inspiration I needed to push me to get going on mine.

Awesome work man!! Very Happy
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just incredible--great work! Shocked
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty excellent. What kind of airbrush did you use on it?

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a blaster to be proud of! Excellent work. Looks worlds better than the standard Offworld paint job.
I love that blued steel tone on the upper! What paints did you use to get that effect?
ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the kinds words.

In response to some of the questions:

- Adding the lead airgun pellets is a fantastic way of adding weight as there are a few areas where they can go - With the OffWorld you get this red plug at the front, which I pushed in towards to back a bit and then put the pellets in from the chamber end. Also there is a nice channeled out section in the butt plate which allows more pellets to be placed in there. I just squashed them with a pair of pliers. So yeah anyone who wants to use this idea - go for it Smile

- The blueing effect (which I must admit, I tempted to do again, as I think it's a little too much!!!) was achieved using tamiya paints - specifically "Metallic Gray" with a bit of "Field Blue" and "Flat Blue" (I think) and then just airbrushed on. The other gray parts like the barrel are just plain "Metallic Gray" without any additional colours - but it gives that sort of dirty gray look. Then all the gray parts are covered in a thin coat of dullcote for added protection. The tamiya paints are great cos they go on easy and you can wash the brushes and stuff in water - hate all that white spirit/terpentine stuff!!!

- The airbrush I used was just some cheap thing we had kicking about, I think it cost about ?7 originally so not very advanced. Thankfully we have this great little adapter so you can hook it up to a spare tyre for the air supply!!

- I need to do the butt plate again as the paint I used, although it gives a great colour finish, doesn't seem to dry properly - even after almost 2 days, once it was handled, it almost seems to melt and become sticky when touched and ends up with finger marks etc (there is actually a mark on it on the right hand side already!!!)

Thanks,

Chris
________
LOLOL

Last edited by ChrisNightingale on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blaster is drop dead gorgeous! The pictures you posted make me want to go out and by an Offworld right this second. Though, I would then have to send it to you for finishing

Fantastic work!

Tom
beal
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks sweet, well done
ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amish wrote:
The blaster is drop dead gorgeous! The pictures you posted make me want to go out and by an Offworld right this second. Though, I would then have to send it to you for finishing

Fantastic work!

Tom

Thanks for that - well it was my first attempt - so if I can do it - anyone can!!! I was tempted to do some weathering - but I find the more you tinker, the more chance of ruining it!!!

The OffWorld is really a cracking piece especially with the nice metal frame and the fact that it's mainly bolted together - I had to hand paint the main revolver frame as I couldn't and didn't want to try and dismantle it - risking breaking it!!!
________
Herbalaire Vaporizer Review

Last edited by ChrisNightingale on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I stripped mine down all the way to the inner revolver frame, then decided to leave it alone from there. I'll see how well I can mask things off -- if the coverage is good and tight, I'll airbrush it. If not, I'll see how far I get with brushes.
ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

docatomic wrote:
Yeah, I stripped mine down all the way to the inner revolver frame, then decided to leave it alone from there. I'll see how well I can mask things off -- if the coverage is good and tight, I'll airbrush it. If not, I'll see how far I get with brushes.

With most of the revolver frame it's not so bad because most is covered by the attached sections - it was only the area around the hammer which was tricky as I couldn't mask it off - but thankfully the tamiya paint is quite forgiving so I just wiped off any excess that sneakily got where it shouldn't (read that as an unsteady hand Very Happy )
________
Penny stocks to watch

docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Unsteady hand." Yep, that's me!

However, I've enlisted the help of a ringer... My friend is a professional artist, and she does a lot of work with paints -- and airbrushing in particular. She's agreed to let me come out to her studio to paint up the gun, and she also said she'd be happy to actually help if I had problems (especially since I've never airbrushed before). So I'm hoping that with her assistance, I'll avoid any serious problems.

That said, I'd like to do it myself if I can, if only for the satisfaction of having done so. Smile

Which is why, as I said, I consider work like yours an inspiration. You went into it fairly raw (if I understand you correctly), but your project turned out wonderfully.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do a lot of airbrushing before I went all the way over to digital. My advice, wear a mask when you airbrush. I never really did, and some days, after 8-9 hours in the studio, I'd blow my nose and it was a rainbow of colors. Started wearing a mask after that.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after 8-9 hours in the studio, I'd blow my nose and it was a rainbow of colors.

I dunno... Think about how much money you could make entertaining kids at birthday parties...
ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gradually got to grips with the airbrushing - my usual mistake is drowning the item in paint which ends up a right mess because the airbrush chucked out the paint at a fair old rate - it drank through it pretty quickly as well. You seem to need at least about twice as much as you would if you were brushing it on - I guess it's all the wastage. I found that doing constant speed passes fairly quickly worked much better - doing several thin coats if needed. The Tamiya paints were best if they were thinned down a bit.

As this one came out so well, I'm tempted to do another one - I have the Auto 9 from RoboCop - it's a relatively cheap old airsoft which has a rather dodgy looking finish which might come up nicely with a good coat of paint - I think that gun was actually jet black but sometimes looked like blue/silver in certain lights.
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, airbrushing isn't quite like using a spray can, but it's so much more versatile. Once you practice just a little, you can get some great results.

Loyalizer, your comment about "blowing your nose" had me cracking up!
I just said almost the exact same thing to my wife a few weeks ago. I said, "I love when I paint stuff because my boogers are all the colors of the rainbow." She said, "Gross!" but started laughing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: