FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Design Thread: Nostromo interiors and deck configurations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bulkheads & Companionways Reply with quote

mrseudo wrote:
Hi guys! I've been checking out this topic for a few years and I wanted to ask about your thoughts on how the fictional engineers would have maintained pressure between the companionways. In ship design (submarine/spacecraft), the bulkheads partition pressurized areas of the ship. It would seem always-open companionways would be a vulnerability in the event of a hull breach or other decompression.

Sorry, I overlooked this one.

I've always thought that the companionways and the air ducts were independent "channels" running through the framing spaces that supported them. Every time I watch Outland that thought crossed my mind because of these visuals:

Although the Nostromo's hull seems mostly seamless except for larger modules at bow, midships, and outboard, wouldn't it be lighter if it were unpressurized empty spaces between the habitation sections?

I say cut 'n paste the set plans wherever you feel like they fit best! As you see Vader's approach perfectly illustrates following on-screen proofs to the letter.

IMHO, my Nostromo is a mix 'n match of what I see in the film and what I imagine it would be if real. Saying that, I'd love to see where you take yours...
mrseudo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: "Companionway" Reply with quote

I guess what I'm asking is, how would they seal off the companionways (ladder shafts) between decks? That is, would it make sense for there to be a hatch midway in the ladder shaft? I can just see it now: Dallas being cut in half as he descends to a lower deck, viscera everywhere. Nasty!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Page 27 of 27

Jump to: