FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard and other characters ID Badges
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eethan
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merci Repy,
wow, 6 messages pour me feliciter d'un seul coup, ca me touche

Hello there,
last modification as I'm still waiting for the paper to arrive and a few other tools. The post is really really not working well at the moment.
I wasn't satisfied with Deckard's signature which was the only one I signed myself. So I had another go at it with a new writen signature and more of Harrison Ford's autograph integrated into it. I quite prefer it personally
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right; looks better that way. Fantastic taf Cool
eethan
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Joberg, it means a lot
Now I have to receive all the things I'm waiting for to start production for real. It's crazy all the issues I have with the different post services at the moment.
I also received an orange plastic for the transparent X. I very carefully chose it on the online color chart of the producer but it arrived red... so that's a big waste of money and I now probably have to order and pay a full color sample to choose from all the oranges in person, then buy again the right color sheets. Those "simple" projects are always way more complex than initially imagined/hoped.

cheers
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...hate when the GF says: "just do that kind of project" Rolling Eyes The "just" is always the most complicated part of the project Wink Just a small price to pay (literally) to complete your wonderful work!
repy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oui je crois que j'ai eu un "petit" problème en postant mon message : le premier ne passait pas alors j'ai insisté (bien trop lourdement à priori). Désolé

[quote="eethan"]Merci Repy,
wow, 6 messages pour me feliciter d'un seul coup, ca me touche
eethan
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,
So after carefull comparison with the colors from the online retailler, I ordered the orange material for the transparent X. I think that this first sentence was clear enough to say that, of course, when I received the actual material, the color was completely wrong. I ordered something that was clearly orange and it turned out pure red. Well at least I tried and this is one more mistake to teach me that I should always order the color swabs and not expect to save money and get it right the first time.
So, after that, I ordered the color swabs only and I will order again the right color when I have decided which one is the good one Smile
A well made, screenaccurate project can never be a simple project. Never Wink

So here is a pic of a quick prototype that I did with the wrong orange material, and a second picture with the color swabs, I chose the orange randomly for the photo, I will now carefully compare and pick the closest one.

It's getting closer,
- I will have the right orange shade now
- I realized that the plastic laminate was not cut from a large sheet, it was directly from a card size plastic sleeve with corners already cut. So I got the right size material now.
- I have a round corner cliper of the right radius and will not have to cut the paper corners by hand anymore.
- I printed the ID photos on the final paper and they are perfect, much better than the previous paper I had.

left to figure out/do:
- order the final orange material
- I'm not completely convinced with the new paper I bought to print the badges. I have to figure that out.
- I need to make a shape in metal I think to cut the X correctly.

cheers
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great to me...one of our member had found the original red color (from the late '70s/'80s. Maybe a search could lead to some great matching X Wink
eethan
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
if you are taking about the amberlith material, I already have this info. It was just impossible to find any.
However, someone on the RPF was kind enough to send me a piece yesterday, so if all goes well, I might have the original material in hand soon. that would be nice as I would probably never be satisfied with a close enough material.

what is sure though, is that half the cost of all that run, including the laminating machine will be just for the orange plastic. Sad But hey, when you are a perfectionist, you cannot avoid it
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amberlith...that's the material! You're right; it's difficult/impossible to find those sheets. Good one for the RPFer getting you a sample Cool
Eager to see your next update; it looks promising!
jinxed
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to chime in...these really are impressive. Extremely well done and inventive on the aspect of how they would have been.

Also, having grown up in the screen print industry doing design prep in the 80's...I can't believe rubylith has become a desirable thing! I did all the color separations with that and sheet after sheet of halftones. We had HUGE rolls of ruby in the office. Crazy it's become scarce now.

Anyway, crazy good job on this.
eethan
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much for the nice words, really appreciate it

Actually, rubylith is still produced, but amberlith was stoped and it's quite hard to come by. But yes, funny how all those things, tupperwares and all are desirable to us now Laughing
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found both my Ruby and Amberlith supplies. Since I packed up a bunch of my BR maker stuff, I am not sure how soon I will be back to making IDs, so maybe I will let you guys have first shot at them. Still love my BR, but just don't have the time anymore.

Andy
eethan
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy, thank you,
Someone on the RPF was nice enough to send me some. I'll see if I receive that in good condition and if that works. If not I'll let you know
thanks a lot
rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eethan, if your Amberlith sample doesn't work out for some reason, let me know. I, too, have my hands on my supply.
rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eethan, if your Amberlith sample doesn't work out for some reason, let me know. I, too, have my hands on my supply if you need another piece.
rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eethan, if your Amberlith sample doesn't work out for some reason, let me know. I, too, have my hands on my supply if you need another piece.

eethan wrote:
Hey,
if you are taking about the amberlith material, I already have this info. It was just impossible to find any.
However, someone on the RPF was kind enough to send me a piece yesterday, so if all goes well, I might have the original material in hand soon. that would be nice as I would probably never be satisfied with a close enough material.

what is sure though, is that half the cost of all that run, including the laminating machine will be just for the orange plastic. Sad But hey, when you are a perfectionist, you cannot avoid it
eethan
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thank you guys
I'll let you know
eethan
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there Smile

here we go, the production is finally started! I'm so happy Smile
Everything now works, I found a perfect way for the lamination process, the amberlith is a big pain to use and position on the badges but the result is way better than my previous plastic.

I'm super happy with the result. I'm a very stressed out person, very hard on myself and very hard on my own job. It was a very long process, a lot of research, a lot of tests but I'm completely happy with the result and proud of my work!

Since we changed life with my wife and decided to come back to the south of France and try to build guitars and props for a living, it has been a very difficult and extremely stressfull process, that is still not finished, but this is the very first really good step forward of that big change and it's really refreshing, finally!

Our journey is far from over as for instance, I still have my paypal account blocked since february because they assume I own the RPF and sell grenades. I'm stuck with that and it's clearly not helping our cause, but let's try to stay positive. I hope I can lauch that run soon when I can figure out a way to accept payments.

thanks you guys and I hope you'll enjoy my work Smile
I'll still have to do proffesional photos, I was just exited to show the result but of course the photos are not great.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please put me down for a set of you are doing a run. They look amazing.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro-Job on those man Cool Cool Cool ...as for the South of France; I still haven't visited my relatives in Argelès-sur-Mer. Maybe one day Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: