FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Tom Southwell Q & A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banzai88
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting background info as always--thanks Tom!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear from you Tom; always a thrill and a pleasure Cool
Sad to hear the passing of one of our "BR Artists"...we're not getting younger, I'm afraid...

Spike: great rendering so far!! Eager to see the next installment. As for the "partition tile", the pyramid is less pronounced on those than the ones bordering the upper wall of the set Confused To tell you the truth, those forms were not very easy to repro as you have seen for yourself by now.

The first time I saw the movie, I thought those partitions were simply painted like some kind of a "Trompe l' oeil"...and since the shots are pretty much static for the whole scene, it would've made sense to do so. I could be wrong of course

Cheers to all
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, firstly... I was terribly sorry to hear about Charles William Breen. Not sure how close you were but I'm sure he was well loved and very much respected in the Hollywood scene.

Personally his name doesn't ring a bell for me regarding Blade Runner but if he was involved with the Deckard Apartment then I must offer a large amount of respect. Even today when you hear people
talk about that set it is astounding to hear what a great space it was. Right down to David Peoples just wanting to move in one night after wrap. He thought that it was a real living space it was that well drawn.

On that sombre note, I must say you brought some cheer to my week with your answers. That's great information and exactly the kind of thing I was after.

Seems like the chair I am going to have to build from scratch. Not looking forward to that but I will give it a go.

Tiles are a funny one because I do think there were a number of them in different sizes and as you said, material finishes. The more you look at the film the more you see things you hadn't noticed.

When I started this project I actually went through as much as I could and grabbed references to make flash cards for me to easily scan while working.
More just kind of questioning how everything fits together production wise. Those columns pop up quite a lot I found. The tiles do too.

Actually I may as well share some of the boards with everyone to see if I've missed anything. Feel free to add more detail folks.

Like the Leon VK scene. I never noticed the tiles on the architrave above the window.

And in the elevator in the Tyrell building. Never stood out to me.

Oh and by the way, the reason I thought the revamp set was carpeted was because of this overhead shot. See the line where the flooring meets the tile? It looks rippled. Possibly carpet to hide electrics or maybe even the stunt rig for the chair pullback?

It's definitely not high gloss black.

Tiles are one thing but the columns have been a nightmare to be honest. For a while I had no idea what the actual shapes were or how it went together.
But I started looking at art deco architecture and specifically the work of Hugh Ferris to try and get an angle on possibilities. He may have actually provided some inspiration to the original team now that I look at it.

I did find a few set photos that reveal a bit more and that helps a lot but I really have no idea of the dimensions so I'm just eyeballing it. Currently I'm going with 8 meters tall for the columns. If the tile partitions are 2m square. And I have each cubicle at 6m wide from column to column along the window.

It seems to go together ok with these dimensions. Once you are in the room in VR it feels about right on a grand scale. Unless you can recall anything closer to the mark or know of any elevation plans (I've tried to find some) I will stick with this for now.

And yes I remember reading that story of Ridley swapping the columns in Future Noir and thinking those poor buggers. It also pops up in Dangerous Days as well. It was worth the effort in my opinion. Not like they had any choice however.

Anyway sorry for the late reply but I've been caught up this week on a few things and have only just managed to sit down and share my thoughts.

I will try and share WIP soon. Maybe pick your brains again if you care to humour me Shocked

Have to consider the props on the table too.... argh!! I thought I picked the simplest scene in Blade Runner!

Thanks Tom.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike, there's no such thing as "a simple set in BR"! . Great research btw...and yes, as you can see, my repro used bigger L shapes than the original
(from top to the side of the pyramid, original: 16 , mine: 11).
Now, on mine, I cheated and didn't use the same "stair design" as the original;
as you can see, the L shapes look like stairs at the bottom of the pyramid.
I just re-used the same design on top and put it back at the bottom (resting the L shape on its two sides).

I would be fun to use VR in that room for sure! Keep up the great work/research.
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
I would be fun to use VR in that room for sure! Keep up the great work/research.

Thanks mate.

To be honest it's not fun the moment because you can see all the problems up close. Once I start putting props in and building interactivity it will be fun.
And do the lighting properly. Currently just using a simple post process to test the mood.

For tile I've decided to go with 16 from the top to the pyramid base. 6 in from each side and 6 for the inset at the bottom. Absolute nightmare to make in 3D for a novice but I'll keep on till I get it right. The hardest thing is making it feel like one object without overlapping meshes and textures.

Anyway I'm in the middle of rebuilding the pillar at the moment. Was using an add on in Unity called ProBuilder cos it was simple to use but after building about 25 versions I was having too many problems getting exactly what I want so swapped over to an external program. Yet another learning curve to climb.

Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joberg was it you that said you had worked up some VK Machine blueprints?

I realise now that it will be the most complex prop and starting to think about how to go about it. Not really at the skill level yet to go balls deep but I understand there are a few different versions.

For 3D in game a simplified build would be preferable to cut down processing but would be good to start from good stock.

Any advice would be hand for sure.

cheers
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only me, but also Colin worked on a blue print of that famous machine.
We went with the original version seen in that famous interrogation room you want to re-create. If you look into my build and our various discussion and pics about that project, you will see that it is a fairly difficult prop to get right...but it is not impossible. Wink
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen various schematics in those threads but I'm now confused. Do you have clean X,Y,Z plan of it or should I just wing it from those Propstore scans?

Anyway not onto that just yet but if you have anything I can work off, help a brother out. Razz

In the mean time I've decided to rebuild the tiles as well because I'm finding better results doing it outside of Unity.

A few WIPs below and a couple of angles of where I'm at. Including my lump of clay standing in for the VK Machine!!

Tonight I put the VR on played just the audio of the scene while I was in the room. Got chills, so that's a good sign.

So much work to do still.

Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, Joberg, or anyone else. This is something I just realised now whilst viewing it again for reference.

Have you ever noticed that when Deckard goes to interview Rachel and he
"pulls out" the VK machine from his briefcase, there is nothing in his hands?
He's kind of miming the action but it's clearly empty space between his hands.

Is this because the set ups were shot over time and the prop wasn't
ready for the establishing shot?

Funny how you pick up things when you are scanning every pixel.
DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikerama wrote:

Have you ever noticed that when Deckard goes to interview Rachel and he
"pulls out" the VK machine from his briefcase, there is nothing in his hands?
He's kind of miming the action but it's clearly empty space between his hands.

Even on the low-res clips on YouTube, the VK's visible in Ford's hands before he closes the lid on his briefcase.

Around 26/27 seconds in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-DkoGvcEBw&feature=youtu.be
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be certain but I dont think you are right. Take another look at the BluRay. Actually you can even see on the clip you shared. He lifts nothing. You can see his whole left hand being struck by the key light.. If the machine was there it would be masked.

Tom any thoughts?

Also I managed to track down Greg Pickrell. Not an easy man to find these days but sent him an email with some background and a referral from you. Hope you don't mind. Not expecting him to get back to me but would be delighted if he did.

In the mean time, do you remember Tom, by chance what the rendering was on the flats? Plaster for stone? Or ... rendered something? Production photos it seems quite light. Maybe sandstone tone? Just trying to get the materials right for better lighting and render.
DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikerama wrote:
I can't be certain but I dont think you are right. Take another look at the BluRay. Actually you can even see on the clip you shared. He lifts nothing. You can see his whole left hand being struck by the key light.. If the machine was there it would be masked.

I see the whole VK.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiles looks very good mate! As for the V.K. you could go with the Propstore blue print, no prob. Your representation of the V.K. is, for now, off...but as you said: first thing first...
As for Ford lifting nothing in that shot: the entire prop had a coat of graphite powder to finish the "look", that's why the actor couldn't touch it at all!
Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most impressive!!!!
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
As for Ford lifting nothing in that shot: the entire prop had a coat of graphite powder to finish the "look", that's why the actor couldn't touch it at all!

I knew it must have been something like that. How you know these thing I
have no idea but I'm so glad I found this little grotto of goodness for all things Blade Runner.

Yeah tiles turned out pretty good. Thanks for the feedback folks.

In the mean time I have put some flying cars outside going past and
attached some lights to them. Not sure if they will remain but looks pretty
cool when you're in the room.

Not exactly a spinner but it will do for now.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me Spike, I learned a lot while at propsummit Wink
That Spinner looks good!
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Southwell wrote:

The graphic was put on the chair the day of the shoot by on staff sign painters at the request of Mr Scott.l

Tom, if I may, would I be right in guessing the typeface for the Tyrell Corp. logo is a modified version of Akzidenz Gotesque Extended? Just trying to recreate it for my prop in the scene. Seems to work pretty well once you cut the notches out and further extend some of the bars and stems.

Also if you have any recollection of the material finish of the flats (see above) that would be enormously helpful.

Cheers
Spike
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Believe me Spike, I learned a lot while at propsummit Wink
That Spinner looks good!

Very good. Laughing Well then did you learn what model the handset part of this prop was or was it a hand made part for the vidphone? It's not popping up on my scans.

I'm assuming this is a recent replica of the original judging by the fidelity of the photo.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it. Contempra.

Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I did my best without feedback.

Noticed that the original "applied" logo has some really weird kerning. It's all over the place and also some of the extended stems are inconsistent. Thought it may have to do with stretching on the soft surface during application. Regardless I tried to match it as best I could.

rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Spikerama, I didn't catch that you were looking for feedback on the Tyrell Corp chairs. What were you hoping to hear back on?

What you have looks good. I'm assuming it's something along the lines stencilized Akzidenz-Grotesk Pro+ regular extended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: