FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner Prequel/Sequel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's true that Cushing was more difficult to copy...I wouldn't see a prob with Sean Young

Except that she's still alive....
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Well, ILM did a great job at recreating Mof Tarkin and a younger Princess Leia in RO...so a character I wouldn't mind seeing is Sean Young Wink

I am guessing by Sean Young you don't necessarily mean as her character Rachael, but another replicant that bears her youthful likeness? Since she is still alive she could appear as Rachael, but I think the main reason Sean would not be in the film is her reputation. There are also laws protecting an actors likeness, so in all those CGI resurrections, the person or family had to give permission (look up the lawsuit with Crispen Glover with the production of Back to the Future 2). Shawn would insist on being a part of the film I am sure. Unfortunately she has burned way too many bridges in Hollywood, and has a reputation as being very difficult or too unpredictable to deal with, which probably extends into just getting permission to use her likeness. I also seriously doubt they would spend the money for that kind of work on what is low budget by a Disney/Star Wars films standard. What I could see being done though is having other new young actresses that bear a resemblance to her. The precedent is already in the first film with Morgan Paull being chosen for his resemblance to Harrison Ford. The replicants can come from the same stock, but not necessarily be identical.

Andy
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader wrote:
joberg wrote:
Well, ILM did a great job at recreating Mof Tarkin and a younger Princess Leia in RO...so a character I wouldn't mind seeing is Sean Young Wink

Weelll... They did bang-up job of re-creating Peter Cushing's looks, but not so much of replicating the character that he gave Tarkin. The fellow wearing the digital mask vas a very poor voice match, and utterly unable to emulate Cushing's extremely precise use of English. I found the experience jarring.

I'd hate it if they did something similar to Rachel...

You think? I think that it was the film's only mis-step. They're still not quite there with the mouth movement, yet.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///

Last edited by Art Deckard on Tue May 21, 2019 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm in complete agreement with Mr. Art Deckard.

On the other hand, here's a short article in the UK Telegraph about tweets from the first industry screening on BR 2049:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/09/27/blade-runner-2049-first-reactions-critics-call-film-sci-fi-masterpiece/

[img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/films/2017/09/27/TELEMMGLPICT000141825768_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg?imwidth=450[/img]

"Blade Runner 2049 first reactions: critics call film a 'sci-fi masterpiece' and 'better than the original' "

Tony
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Art Deckard on Tue May 21, 2019 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///

Last edited by Art Deckard on Tue May 21, 2019 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review of BR2049 in the UK Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/sep/29/blade-runner-2049-review-ryan-gosling-harrison-ford-denis-villeneuve

"Its mind-boggling, cortex-wobbling, craniofacial-splintering images are there to trigger awe or even a kind of ecstatic despair at the idea of a post-human future, and what it means to imagine the wreck of our current form of homo sapiens. "

Tony
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note on the sequel and fears about it. I do revere the original film, but I don't worship it. I have always loved this film for its ability to be a seed for inspiration and deep thought. The original films greatness can not be diminished by this. Maybe we may be asked to change our preconceptions of the BR world that we had been envisioning for 35 years, and that can be terrifying depending how much we have invested ourselves into it. I get that too, especially since I worked on my own sequel script. The thing is, that I have loved seeing every movie since 82 that has been even slightly inspired by that film. Every other artists take on the films themes and world. An official version of that same proclamation of love is something I am all for, even if I may have to let go or revise some of my visions. I am just thankful that everyone who worked on this new film took the material seriously, and seem to love the original as much as me. I actually want to see more official takes on this universe by other artists in all genres. Bring it on.

Andy
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Art Deckard on Tue May 21, 2019 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had to protect myself, BR is special to me at a critical time in my life in 82 I bonded with it during a serious personal loss. and I do not want to diminish it in any way all it's meaning to me. So I have gone over enough spoilers to be certain, and several reveals are nails in the coffin for me but it comes as no surprise to me though. They are in this review if anyone cares to spoil it.........

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/09/29/blade-runner-2049-is-beautiful-but-does-it-have-that-old-blade-runner-magic/

."Part of the magic of Blade Runner was what was missing: It was like an earworm, insinuating itself into your brain thanks in part to the fact that it felt strangely incomplete. You wanted to see it again because you needed to see it again; its mysteries began when the end credits rolled."

I can't watch this film to protect my love for the original in full.
I stand strongly that we are not supposed to know the fates of the characters. We are NOT supposed to have solid answers, that NOT knowing is critical to the film and anything that attempts further exposition is unacceptable, most especially so given the film is noir.

I feel quite alone right now as a BR fan as this juggernaut hits.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CessnaDriver wrote:
I've had to protect myself, BR is special to me at a critical time in my life in 82 I bonded with it during a serious personal loss. and I do not want to diminish it in any way all it's meaning to me. So I have gone over enough spoilers to be certain, and several reveals are nails in the coffin for me but it comes as no surprise to me though. They are in this review if anyone cares to spoil it.........

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/09/29/blade-runner-2049-is-beautiful-but-does-it-have-that-old-blade-runner-magic/

."Part of the magic of Blade Runner was what was missing: It was like an earworm, insinuating itself into your brain thanks in part to the fact that it felt strangely incomplete. You wanted to see it again because you needed to see it again; its mysteries began when the end credits rolled."

I can't watch this film to protect my love for the original in full.
I stand strongly that we are not supposed to know the fates of the characters. We are NOT supposed to have solid answers, that NOT knowing is critical to the film and anything that attempts further exposition is unacceptable, most especially so given the film is noir.

I feel quite alone right now as a BR fan as this juggernaut hits.

That is a profound well laid out thought as to the power of what this film is and what many films are to people. Messing with the stories and answering questions than need not be answered is dangerous territory for the sanctity of the original project. Thank you for sharing.
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That review also mentions they are just "replaying entire subplots from its legendary forebear as mysteries to be unearthed. "

Oh well.
It's done and done now.
I'd have preferred a new story in the BR universe that was not replicant centered and left the first film alone, surely something PKD inspired could have been used. But it was not meant to be.

If BR is the "Casablanca" of Sci Fi so to speak......

I'll always have 1982.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You have to love the question, not the answer" Wink
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deciding how you are going to feel about a film by plucking quotes from a single review, instead of seeing it for yourself, seems like the wrong way to go about it but to each his own.
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I have been stunned by the almost universal exuberant reviews. There's a review in Forbes that is lukewarm, but all the rest have been over the top.

To tell the truth, I had previously decided not to see the new film. I love the old film too much. But now I think I will see the new film. Whether or not it is a worthy successor, I don't know yet. But at least it will look good.

Tony
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not plucking of quotes but the facts of what the film contains is being reported. Those are hard and unchangeable.
I have learned that once I see something, you cannot unsee it. I can't just wish the memories away. I refuse to allow BR to become sullied by this betrayal no matter how great the reviews are. Reviews are a tool to be used by reading them, they help me to understand if the content of the film is in line with my tastes. So a great or poor review isn't necessarily always the bottom line to me.
Based on the facts, this film is not compatible with how I appreciate the first film. It is not an acceptable "sequel" and I realize that those very few of us that think this way are standing against a hurricane force wind of reviews and if the hype is true... an Oscar even.

It pains me greatly I would like to go back that world.. but they f***ed with things that should never have been f***ed with. But the crowd will go wild I suppose.
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full spoiler of entire film here for those interested.

https://pastebin.com/czS2udB0
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CessnaDriver wrote:
Full spoiler of entire film here for those interested.

https://pastebin.com/czS2udB0

We're not. But, thanks.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's the source of that spoiler? Thanks but no thanks Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: