FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Successful import of a couple of blasters to the UK.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PartyRichter
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Successful import of a couple of blasters to the UK. Reply with quote

Hello all, newbie prop collector/maker and Blade Runner fan here,

I originally posted this info over on RPF, but I'm guessing there might be one or two folk here interested in this, as I have read a couple of posts expressing doubt over the practicalities shipping Blade Runner Blaster replicas to the UK, due to our (somewhat confused) replica firearm laws.

First, my Off World Blaster (+extra duty charge of £28 ), and now my Tomenosuke Blaster Pro (+extra duty charge of £167!! *OUCH*) got through UK customs just fine, after a nail-biting couple of weeks.

When it came to the Tom, I first contacted Hollywood Collectibles in the USA and they assured me they had no problems shipping them here, and as promised, they had included a letter taped to the box stating in clear terms that this is very much a non-firing movie prop replica. To say I'm relieved is an understatement, particularly after hearing about one or two confiscations.

What was even more amazing was the the box had been opened and inspected by customs, then resealed with a yellow label saying it had been examined, so they apparently didn't bat an eyelid at the dummy rounds either. 'Go figure'...as my American friends might say...

Maybe I was just lucky...but perhaps this might be encouraging for someone thinking of buying one from overseas.

Pics:

Tomenosuke + Off World 01

Tomenosuke + Off World 02

Last edited by PartyRichter on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats and welcome to the addiction.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME!

And yes, it really is an addiction... it never ends Wink
DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the boards! Spotted your post just as I was retiring (no pun intended) for the night, yesterday evening. I'm wondering if this now sets a precedent? Did you receive a formal customs invoice following payment? This could be a useful reference point / legal defence if another member, in the future, runs into problems.

Personally, I'd love one of these. I've been after a blaster since 2008 but I've had countless problems! I also contacted Hollywood Collectibles a few weeks ago but I'm not brave enough to pull the trigger (ouch!).
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch (specially for the U.K.) welcome to the addiction (and no, there's no help group for that one Very Happy )
PartyRichter
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD Connoisseur wrote:
Welcome to the boards! Spotted your post just as I was retiring (no pun intended) for the night, yesterday evening. I'm wondering if this now sets a precedent? Did you receive a formal customs invoice following payment? This could be a useful reference point / legal defence if another member, in the future, runs into problems.

Personally, I'd love one of these. I've been after a blaster since 2008 but I've had countless problems! I also contacted Hollywood Collectibles a few weeks ago but I'm not brave enough to pull the trigger (ouch!).

Well, I was tracking the packages via USPS, then ParcelForce, and the latter's notification steps via their website are quite detailed. What they do is inform you the package is waiting for customs duty payment, and they mail you a standard letter stating how much is due. You can then pay it online or by phone so they can release it for final delivery.

However, in the case of the Tomenosuke, I didn't wait for the letter to arrive. As soon as I heard it had cleared customs and was in the delivery depot, I went straight there after work and paid the extra duty over the counter, so I had it in my hands a few days earlier.
darth odious
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PartyRichter,
WOW! £167 in charges. What's the breakdown for the handling and import fees?
Worried! I'm waiting for my letter outlining the charges for mine. Sad
DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by PartyRichter, I also encountered the same handling fees / charges.

Even importing my recent Brandomack case cost me £76 in fees!
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is to try to get the retailer/seller to mail it as a "gift" with a low value.

I have sent sneakers worth up to $400 to Europe as "old shoes" and as a "gift" and never had a problem.

The firearms thing, of course, compilcates things.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is shipping without insurance...if it is lost or damaged your out the model and perhaps the money...

Rich

Nexus7 wrote:
The key is to try to get the retailer/seller to mail it as a "gift" with a low value.

I have sent sneakers worth up to $400 to Europe as "old shoes" and as a "gift" and never had a problem.

The firearms thing, of course, compilcates things.

darth odious
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darth odious wrote:
Hi PartyRichter,
WOW! £167 in charges. What's the breakdown for the handling and import fees?
Worried! I'm waiting for my letter outlining the charges for mine. Sad

Update on charges /fees for my Tomenosuke Baster From HCG £144.48 .
jay13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD Connoisseur wrote:
Inspired by PartyRichter, I also encountered the same handling fees / charges.

Even importing my recent Brandomack case cost me £76 in fees!

Did customs even open yours or did you get it straight through ?
jay13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Successful import of a couple of blasters to the UK. Reply with quote

PartyRichter wrote:

I originally posted this info over on RPF, but I'm guessing there might be one or two folk here interested in this, as I have read a couple of posts expressing doubt over the practicalities shipping Blade Runner Blaster replicas to the UK, due to our (somewhat confused) replica firearm laws.

First, my Off World Blaster (+extra duty charge of £28 ), and now my Tomenosuke Blaster Pro (+extra duty charge of £167!! *OUCH*) got through UK customs just fine, after a nail-biting couple of weeks.

When it came to the Tom, I first contacted Hollywood Collectibles in the USA and they assured me they had no problems shipping them here, and as promised, they had included a letter taped to the box stating in clear terms that this is very much a non-firing movie prop replica. To say I'm relieved is an understatement, particularly after hearing about one or two confiscations.

What was even more amazing was the the box had been opened and inspected by customs, then resealed with a yellow label saying it had been examined, so they apparently didn't bat an eyelid at the dummy rounds either. 'Go figure'...as my American friends might say...

Maybe I was just lucky...but perhaps this might be encouraging for someone thinking of buying one from overseas.

Pics:

How long did customs hold it for ?
PartyRichter
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Successful import of a couple of blasters to the UK. Reply with quote

jay13 wrote:
PartyRichter wrote:

Pics:

How long did customs hold it for ?

I seem to remember it was roughly a (nail-biting) week or so. Nothing too terrible.
rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: