FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Sequel News
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robotprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Sequel News Reply with quote

Here's a little tidbit
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/11/25/blade-runner-sequel-begins-shooting-in-2015-but-ridley-scott-wont-direct/
ridleyville
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Sequel Reply with quote

Hi all
I displayed my collection at Wyntercon in Eastbourne last month and while I was there I done a little poll.

Question
Do you want the Sequel.

Answer
12 would be apprehensive but would be interested.

141 do not want the memory tarnished and would be seriously worried that it might weaken thoughts of the original and turn off the new generation into watching the original.

29 had not seen the film at all but said they would after seeing the display.

22 younger children ( around 10 to 12 years ) had seen the film with their dad.
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some of us, Blade Runner is our Citizen Kane, our Casablanca of he Sci Fi genre.

It is NOT sequel material. Period. I will never view a direct sequel with those characters, those characters MUST exist in the mind only as far as what happened next for them at the end. Theatrical or directors cut.

I'm just repeating myself here......
They want to do another PKD story or creative unique PKD style of story in that retro future noir-verse, sure I'm OK with that.
I could probably tolerate maybe a Gaff cameo if are just compelled to
show someone.

The Snake Pit would be a great touchstone if they wanted, that place is like
the bar in Sin City, so many characters with new stories could be passing through there.

The title "Blade Runner" doesn't have to mean the replicant units.
It can still mean someone walking the edge of morality in a new noir
story.

EDIT...
The only good thing I've noticed with unnecessary remakes and sequels....

Sometimes this means new products for the original films/shows start being produced to cash in on the nostalgia factor. So sometimes there is a silver lining for me in that regard.
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Prometheus, my hopes are definitely not high.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has done it the past, he`s doing it again here. As if he would reveal such a major plot element like we was telling you the time.

As for more Blade Runner`s... BRING THEM ON.

It would be a sad day indeed for the people who watch and produce major motion pictures if the universe`s brought to life that give such pleasure are "locked" out from further
exploration due to some misguided and selfish belief that somehow the original universe COULD be tarnished. If the best a Blade Runner sequel can produce is a new Syd Mead
or Jordan Cronenweth then everybody wins.

Dark Star will always be the bench mark example. O Bannon handed the scary version to Scott, Scott handed the beach ball to Giger and the magic was handed over to us.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Tim on that one: bring it on!! I'm ready for a new one for sure
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very short article on BR2 on the UK Guardian site:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/nov/26/ridley-scott-blade-runner-sequel-wont-direct

The article tells nothing new, but the three pages of comments are pretty interesting!

Tony
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its like, I want another Alien film in the same vain as the first two, Ms Weaver is still smoking hot so why not put something together that picks things up a
few years after the end of Aliens with her, the kid, Hicks and Bishop having made it back. For mine the story should be Ripley as the main focus, if none of the
previous mentioned made it to the script, no biggie.

Ok, I`ve just struck three and four from the relevant timeline...so what?

To do so could result in something that's held in the same regard as it predecessors, how cool would that be?
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sequel is likely to address the issue of whether Deckard himself is also a replicant.

Oh dear.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, SRS opened that can-o-worms long ago...so I don't see why not explore whether Deckard isn't or is Wink
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Well, SRS opened that can-o-worms long ago...so I don't see why not explore whether Deckard isn't or is Wink

Exactly.
Though not my first preference for the new movie storyline, after thirty plus years and four different cuts, the is he, isn't he question is still the underlining dilemma among movie goers.
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The environment of BR is so rich that there could be an infinite amount of stories to be seen there. Of course, that takes an infinite amount of monkeys, too. Perhaps the co-writer amounts to those monkeys.

A sequel, or prequel, doesn't have to deal with the issue of is Deckard a replicant. Why bother? It's more interesting if it's unresolved.

Just take the given situation and move it along.

Tony
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: DECKARD IN LOVE Reply with quote

Perhaps this has not been covered here on The Summit as yet.

I just stumbled upon this VARIETY article online, dated December 13, 2014.
A very positive report from Ridley, if true. According to the article:

"If you’re worried that the upcoming “Blade Runner” sequel won’t measure up to the 1982 sci-fi cult classic, rest assured. Harrison Ford apparently thinks the script is “the best thing (he’s) ever read.”

Director Ridley Scott told MTV News that the screenplay is not only “written and ready to go,” but that Ford loves it.

“I sent him this (script) and he said, ‘Wow, this is the best thing I’ve ever read,’ so it’s very relevant to what happened (in) the first one,” Scott told MTV News. “I’m not just doing a sequel with lots of action and see how far we can go with the special effects because you can’t really. ‘Blade Runner’ kind of landed on a somehow very credible future. And it’s very difficult to change that because it’s been so influential with everything else.”

Although Scott is debating whether he’ll direct the sequel, it looks like Ford will most certainly be reprising his role as Rick Deckard.

Alcon Entertainment has been working on the project since early 2011.

Scott also talked about another highly anticipated sequel, “Prometheus 2,” which will continue to explore the relationship between Noomi Rapace’s Elizabeth Shaw and Michael Fassbender’s David, whom Scott teased might not be bodyless for long.

“Once that head goes back on, he’s really dangerous, but he’s also very seductive,” Scott said. “So maybe he’ll persuade her to help him put the head back.”

- Maane Khatchatourian
VARIETY

Keeping my fingers crossed. - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Dave...read the same thing about the screenplay (that's why Ford is in for a second turn Wink ) Fancher will finally have his "poetic vision" about the whole tragedy that is BR.

As for "look" I read that it's still being debated (are bringing back the old with the new in terms of tech?)

Things to look forward too in the next few years (hang in there Ridley )
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: SEEING IS BELIEVING Reply with quote

The word "enough" now occupies my thoughts.

Like "Prometheus II" (or "Paradise Lost" or "Covenant", or whatever it will finally be called), I wonder if I will ever see a "Blade Runner" sequel/prequel before we actually have flying cars. And if it will be worth the wait.

- - - -

I'd ceased to bother following any further news on the sequel/prequel front lately, until reading that Ridley has shifted gears again on his NOT ALIEN / NOW ALIEN sequel and that the thought of any other interpretations (like Blomkamp's) have been booted out the airlock along with Shaw's future.

So now we wait for a 2017 release for more answers only hinted at in "Prometheus", to be revealed now in what may become the second in another ALIEN Quadrology*.

Meanwhile, Ridley cranks out other offerings, as if to test our patience.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ridley's films and admittedly, it's his vision, his "baby" and it's his universe to play with. We, as mere mortals, must acknowledge that we would not even know of his worlds if not for his genius. "The Martian" is great (IMO) and the adaptation of PKD's "High Castle" is as beautiful as it is terrifying and thought-provoking, but I have to wonder - driven as he is - just how many other projects he will tackle before we see Ripley or Deckard and again "believe"?

Have A Better One! - R13

* http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/ridley-scotts-alien-covenant-prometheus-2.html
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you Dave I'm praying for the "God of Longevity" concerning SRS.
I mean, I don't want to see him kick the bucket before all of those goodies hit the screen.
He's always been a very busy man (one life to live and damn if I'm going to rest on my laurels kind-a-guy)...but one has to wonder sometimes Confused
How many more can he take on?
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just winning the NBR`s Best Director award for The Martian tells me that he`s still the head honcho of all things sci fi. Regardless of Prometheus`s standing, its still the most successful of the entire series including Dark Star, yeah I said it.Shocked

Time for him to get his Kubrick on though and stop talking to the media about future projects.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmh...I wouldn't like SRS to become like Kubrick in the communication dept. with the Press and the fans Crying or Very sad I love the fact that he's readily available for both, even if it's just to tease us to death
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know - these days there seems to be a tendency towards too much information regarding up and coming films. Myself, I try purposely to avoid the overload of advanced publicity so as not to entertain any preconceived notions.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/movies/blade-runner-sequel-gets-start-date/ar-BBoGNAr?ocid=spartandhp

Nice to have an official start date and interesting to hear Sony now own the international rights, gives more hope that someone involved at a high level might come across the word
"merchandise" during its production.

No word on location but if the start date is in July, the paint from Prometheus 2 would still be wet, Sydney it is then. Nice work if you can get it SRS Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: