FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Nostromo Crew Jacket (and other Thinking Cap Co patches etc)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: UNDOING GOO Reply with quote

Interestingly, I only became aware of "Shoe-Goo" last week, when it came up in an offhand discussion with a co-worker.

Thanks for the tip, Joberg! I wonder if a solvent like BestineĀ® might work? Looking at the apparent edges around the leaves on the closeup of Brett's cap, perhaps just carefully cutting the leather or fabric around the "eggs" to remove them intact, might be one answer . . .

HAB1! - R13
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hat has the thick leather peak but the eggs are on a small layer of what I think is a fine felt on top of the leather. Its possible the peak can be pulled apart and the felt can be removed from the rest of the leather but it looks risky.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dave, I think Bestine is the nex best thing to remove that pesky glue, but again, has to be tried on different materials...as Tim mentioned, there's, usually, felt behind those scrambled eggs and I don't know if the felt, when wet will still hold the decoration together or something else woudl happen Confused
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth starting underneath the eggs, peel away as many layers of the leather working up towards the eggs, if you get the leather
thin enough, would make cutting out the eggs easier.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: THINNING THE YOLK Reply with quote

There's an old trick I learned from a master airbrush artist back in the early 80's, before the Mac and Photoshop simplified the process. Back then retouchers had to be more resourceful. Some here may be aware of this practice.

He would use a fine grit sandpaper and hand-sand the backside of a photo down to a tissue-thin sheet, before adhering it atop another image. Like blending makeup appliances, this allowed him to better hide the edges.

To Offworld's point, and admittedly with a bit extra effort and care, I think this might work on the eggs as well.

- R13
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Love the old photo trick, would never think to do that with paper.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent trick indeed
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Excellent trick indeed

I'll second that !

Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: TECH vs EXPERIENCE Reply with quote

That old saying was never "Technology is the best teacher". . Confused

HAB1! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true indeed Exclamation
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I believe the ones made of gold or silver thread are called "Bullion". There are new companies still making them with the metallic thread. Here is one on a quick search that looks close and may or may not be metallic... http://www.4armedforces.com/product/3003_9206/Army-Gold-Scrambled-Eggs-Pair-Patch.html

Andy

Andy a big thank you for finding & sharing this!!! & offworld66 kudos on your bullion scrambled eggs discovery, as well.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: BRETT'S DEFIANCE Reply with quote

Perhaps other's here have, but I never thought of Brett's cap as being an act of defiance . . .

In my research of A L I E N costumes I ran across this online series. A bit general, but possibly worth a read. I haven't found it mentioned elsewhere on PS, so here the link -

http://hellotailor.blogspot.com/2012/03/movie-costumes-i-have-loved-alien-part.html

HAB1! - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: BRETT'S BREAKFAST Reply with quote

I stumbled across an offering on eBay and jumped on it!

After the discussion here, I found an auction (well, B.I.N.) for just the visor with the metallic scrambled eggs, saving me the angst of destroying an entire hat that others might value.

In good condition, the top layer is separated from the more rigid support layer beneath.

Now I must determine just what really IS the best way to free the eggs from their bondage, but it shouldn't prove too difficult. Another project for the future.

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Dave and good catch on those eggs! Will suscribe on future endeavour trying to separated them from the visor Wink
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: BRETT"S BRAINPAN ADORNMENT Reply with quote

There have been many caps offered as replicas of Brett's baseball cap.
Ignoring the original Thinking Cap version (mine has grown too small over the years) - does anyone know of a good source for a proper cap as a basis for constucting a reasonably authentic version.

Most of my online searches result in "low profile", tighter fitting cotton caps in a variety of navy blues. Brett's always appeared to have a higher crown and was darker navy than most.

I've never been able to determine if the yellow stitching used on The Thinking Cap Company version had any validity. Perhaps I've not dug deep enough yet on this forum(?)

- R13
Countrypaul
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R13 I don't know if this is any help but I just put together a Brett cap, wasnt going for super, super accurate just something close enough for wearing day to day.

like you my searches were all coming back with modern low profile caps,

to my mind Brett's cap is a 70's style truckers cap just with cotton rather than mesh panels,

did some searches couldnt find one

I noticed my 11 year old niece wearing a similar style, she said it was a "Snap Back Rappers Cap" I did a search for Rappers cap on eBay & found a beechfield one for Ā£3.50

wouldnt have occured to me to do that search but it's a nice dark navy blue, with the right high crown & snap fastening

I'm pleased with it & with the badge & scrambled eggs it works for me & I wear it alot,

like I say might not be accurate enough for you but might be worth a look/search

Paul
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: PLAIN BLUE RAPPER Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. I'll definitely give it a look.

Guess it could make sense, as they have been referred to as "truckers" in space.

HAB1! - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: HIGH-CROWN HAT TRICK Reply with quote

Perhaps this has been covered elsewhere, but in my own search for the "perfect" Brett baseball cap, I have found two sources that I think are worth mention here - all just under $10 bucks -

FIRST, for anyone's looking to recreate a reasonable replica of The Thinking Cap Company version, thanks to the suggestion from Countrypaul, I eventually found this auction on eBay. As you can see, except for the yellow stitching (a feature I now doubt anyone will ever find on a plain cap), this auction offers both a navy and a dark navy cap - with the green fabric on the underside of the bill and the plastic snap-back -

However, unlike the original TCC cap (and many others) these feature a higher crown (not so snug-fitting) that better matches the look of Brett's cap. The "dark navy" could easily pass for black - something to consider when making your selection. Both appear very well made compared to other lighter-weight caps online at the same price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271088672582?var=570122020815&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

- - - - -

LOOKING FURTHER, I snagged a cap that may better match the actual cap seen onscreen. Although it again lacks the yellow stitching, this cap is a wool blend, equally well made and has the higher crown and snap back, but it is navy overall, lacking the green beneath the bill. It arrived in very quickly . . .

http://www.e4hats.com/solid-wool-blend-prostyle-snapback-cap-navy.html

Perhaps this will help(?)

Now I will turn my attention to getting "the better patch" . . .

HAB1! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there's a pic somewhere of the actor wearing the cap at a premiere of the movie (B&W pic if I remember well). Maybe it's me, but I always thought it was a half & half kinda cap: half mesh (toward the rear) and half solid fabric (toward the front) Confused
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: HAT PIC Reply with quote

There are probably better shots - better angles, but as I recall it was never a mix fabric/mesh. The Thinking Cap version certainly wasn't. But at times it also looked like it could have been a heavier corduroy cap . . . . Confused.

- R13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: