FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Re: nostromo restoration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: nostromo restoration Reply with quote

Hello.
Just wanted to say hi for the first time, although I have been browsing for some time :-]

On the topic of the restoration of the nostromo at johneaves.com, I had a couple of questions about the restoration results.
I did a quick search to make sure that the topic hadn't been covered already, and yet while some info was available, it did n't cover all.

I'm curious as to why a restoration that was clearly meant to rejuvenate our favorite deep space tug made such a glaring mistake with the docking tube at the right front of the nose...was it corrected after the pictures were taken?

And I was a bit surprised to find that the panel that holds the front dish is being held on by Phillips screws??
We all know that WY is a bit cheap, but sheeesh :-]

And I was always curious why the three front attitude rockets didn't actually have enough room for the engines/mix chambers.
Look at the linked picture and it's pretty obvious that there can't be enough room in front of the exhausts for anything of substance.
http://johneaves.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/dsc08552.jpg

I've been contemplating the idea of rendering the nostromo bridge in minecraft so that I could walk around it, but details about the positions of surrounding seats, panels etc are hard to find...I'll post images if I take the project on.

Cheers, eh.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Cold Canuck...a welcome from Ottawa Wink
Lot's of these things have been discussed before in the "USCC Notromo - Discussion thread" Scale Modeling Forum. A few of our members here have tried to fit the interior into the model or by viewing pics of the studio scale set and trying to figure out where everything is placed.

Yes, lot's of models have visible screws for easy access to electronics most of the time (back plate of the 35 inch Millenium Falcon for ex.) and no, you wont see them on screen.
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Cold Canuck, Yes we have lamented the poor placement of the Docking tube, and other issues with the restore project. It could be worse, It could never have been rescued at all...

As for the screws?? Not sure why they were used... I don't think they were in the original Model. Here is a shot from it's yellow days. I don't see screws...

I know there was warping on some of the parts, perhaps this was to address that issue? Not sure why they chose such large screws either...

Steve
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Cold Canuck! Always glad for another pair of eyes, and interpretation, of good ol' Nostromo, with or without the slanted docking tube...
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome :-]

I've been an avid fan since I first saw the movie on opening day in Toronto (I'm in Michigan now).
I actually made a cardboard and balsa duplicate of the bridge (with recessed lighting), shortly after seeing the movie a second time, unfortunately it was destroyed during a move.

It's too bad that the nostromo couldn't be reintroduced in the fps game, Alien: Colonial Marines....now that would have been fun :-]

Starrigger:
Even in it's second generation gray suit, I don't recall seeing any such screws on the nose section.
Considering the time, effort and the financial costs of such a restoration, it's strange that such obvious errors are present, but as you said...better to have a few mistakes than
never to see such a beautifully ugly tug :-]

BTW...could you folks take a look at this wallpaper and perhaps suggest improvements?
I am undoubtedly my own worst critic, but it never hurts to have additional opinions....thanks.

http://www.coldcanuck.net/wallpapers/nostromo_patch_ssteel.jpg

Last edited by Cold Canuck on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Canuck wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome :-]

I've been an avid fan since I first saw the movie on opening day in Toronto (I'm in Michigan now).
I actually made a cardboard and balsa duplicate of the bridge (with recessed lighting), shortly after seeing the movie a second time, unfortunately it was destroyed during a move.

It's too bad that the nostromo couldn't be reintroduced in the fps game, Alien: Colonial Marines....now that would have been fun :-]

Starrigger:
Even in it's second generation gray suit, I don't recall seeing any such screws on the nose section.
Considering the time, effort and the financial costs of such a restoration, it's strange that such obvious errors are present, but as you said...better to have a few mistakes than
never to see such a beautifully ugly tug :-]

BTW...could you folks take a look at this wallpaper and perhaps suggest improvements?
I am undoubtedly my own worst critic, but it never hurts to have additional opinions....thanks.

http://www.paradigmwebdesigns.com/wallpapers/nostromo_patch_ssteel.jpg

I have pictures from all sides... no screws that I can see..

Too bad about your bridge model, I would have loved to see it. Back around 1980, I created a facehugger out of Q-Tips, cotton balls, Elmers Glue, and Felt-Tip markers, It was small and I could wear it like a bracelet around my wrist. Scared a lot of people when I would pull my arm out of a paper bag.... Twisted Evil It got real brittle when it fully dried though and didn't survive a move of mine either..

You have nothing to be ashamed of in that Wallpaper.. wear it proudly!

Steve
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had some fun with that hugger lol

My little set was almost three feet long and two or so wide, tiny bulbs were used for the screens and I even had movable (sort of) hatches.

Took close to four months to build because the kind of resources we have now, weren't available. I had to go off a movie-book etc.

It was totally flattened in the first truck ride to the new house :-[

I was thinking that the wallpaper needs something, it's a little plain, but...I can play with the psd file and see what comes from it.

Cheers.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that wallpaper is good alright Cool
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you :-]
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing Aliens: Colonial Marines and got to the point where that colony sign is laying in the dirt and it touched my silly bone.

It took me all of 10 minutes to slap this together, so quality isn't up to par.

Last edited by Cold Canuck on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not bad for 10 minutes Wink I always like that sign...or warning to others who want to investigate Shocked
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, considering the topic of this particular forum, would the "General Discussion" forum be a more appropriate place to post images such as the two I've put up here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: