FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Textless Blade Runner posters?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Textless Blade Runner posters? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can get a nice large print of any Drew Struzan BR art that is textless? Especially this one:

I cant understand why there are no nice textless prints of these for sale anywhere?? :-S
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also really like this Jim Steranko comic art. The colours are fantastic! Wasn't the original for sale somewhere? Would be great to get a nice clean print of this.

http://www.rowsdowr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Steranko+Blade+Runner.png

Last edited by BeastMaster on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to have them as is...but I don't know if it's going to happen. (I have a bad feeling about this...)
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed! Does anyone have any info on the jim steranko peice? I never used to like it but looking at it now it's a modern masterpeice! Very fitting with today's style poster boom Cool
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually does anyone have the Blade Runner comic/annual where that artwork (featured at the back not the cover) came from? Maybe if I had a better higher res scan I can clean it up.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them and will see if I can dig them up.

Andy
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great! Thanks andy Very Happy
Toombs
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any printing shop can make you a poster. Just bring them the photo.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: DREW STRUZAN'S EARLY ART Reply with quote

I too would love to have a decent reproduction of this wonderful artwork.

As some here already know, on past DVD and Blu-ray Sets Drew talks about this early version of his proposed art for Blade Runner's 1982 release. And it seems there are two versions of this art as well (below).

Drew has stated that he did this piece for use in promoting the original film's release, and later, after receiving no requests for further changes from the studio, he assumed it was accepted. Apparently he only found that it was not, once the accepted John Alvin version came out. Drew claims he never saw his original artwork again. Eventually it popped up on the re-issue of the paperback tie-in.

While the art has been featured in a few publications over the past decades, it usually appears small (no larger than 8" x 10"). I would suspect that this is due to the limitations of transparencies (or the corresponding halftones) made when it was originally completed. Since these would result in an inferior image if enlarged beyond, say 30%, nothing larger of any quality has be reproduced since.

I do have a copy of an inferior bootlegged poster (with text) that shows up on eBay on occasion, but the enlarged image is flawed. Although at first glance it is more "colorful", aside from being unauthorized, it is somewhat of an insult to Drew's original work. It suffers from too much contrast, the colors seem overly saturated and it is overall soft or blurred due to its origin.

And it is apparently the first version created - also used on the paperback for years. It featured a more generic Pris, a "flipped" Tyrell and the original position of the spinner above Deckard's head. At some point these were changed to the version shown at the beginning of this post (and below, right). Apparently the actual art is lost, or more probably hidden away in some studio exec's collection.

These two images were posted online a few years ago. I offer them here as reference only.

Perhaps one day the original will re-surface, with other "things you people wouldn't believe". - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Rep13; very interesting indeed. I would like to see the original as well, but as you said, it's somewhere hidden (private hands) or gathering dust in a studio...sad Crying or Very sad
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still digging through stuff, but found the first Struzan version on the back of the Blade Runner Souvenir Magazine. The Jim Steranko art is harder to come by but I found a decent textless one in the British Blade Runner Annual hard cover comic book compilation. I will try to get them scanned as soon as I get a chance.

More about the artists and paintings at BladeZone...
http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/posters/drew-struzan/
http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/posters/john-alvin/

Andy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: STRUZAN IN THE '80'S Reply with quote

Ah yes, the BLADEZONE reference. I believe I originally saw the two versions on Drew's site, but I recall this article being posted about that same time. I think everything else I'd seen to that point, from the back cover of the Souvenir Book to the Ballantine Paperback, was Version A -

More recently, with Drew's last two compilation books we finally saw better reproductions, even though they were still limited in size.

While I was not as fond of Alvin's version, I have the original hanging at home and had ordered the signed limited edition of his updated artwork when released. Sadly, we lost him about that same time. That print was never truly signed.

I think it's fortunate that so much talent and effort went into the visual promotion of such a troubled film, resulting in artwork we can continue to admire and enjoy well beyond 2019.

- R13
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Still digging through stuff, but found the first Struzan version on the back of the Blade Runner Souvenir Magazine. The Jim Steranko art is harder to come by but I found a decent textless one in the British Blade Runner Annual hard cover comic book compilation. I will try to get them scanned as soon as I get a chance.

That would be great Andy! Still after a nice high scan of the Steranko

R13: Thats very interesting info! Though how did he go about making the revamped version of that painting? I assume he didnt paint over the original? Did he paint this before of after it was lost? Would you be able to make a scan of the poster? There's something about the old version I still really like.

I ordered Drews book, so might try to scan the images and print them poster size Wink
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that Jim Steranko art is lovely!!

Drew has done two versions as he said in the video. Here is the second one he did which apart from the small Deckard at the bottom I prefer over the older version:

Here is a pic I took of the original hanging in his studio. It looks small here but it is actually the same size as a full-size lobby poster..

Best

MARK

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Staar...it's a beauty for sure; I'm on the fence concerning both posters: I like them both for different reasons Wink
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! that's pretty cool staar! Smile

I bought his book and will probably take a scan of the one in there, enhance it and print it out Wink
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: THE ORIGINAL STRUZAN ART Reply with quote

Beast -
No doubt Mark knows better than I (and first hand Wink ), but it was my understanding from reading and watching the interviews, that Drew did the original and made a couple of changes to that final (probably having to patch the art, since this was pre-digital). Having gone through the earlier process of submitting an assortment of concept sketches, with the studio accepting his artwork, he then never heard anything further. He only discovered his effort was not used later, upon seeing the Alvin poster promoting the film's release. Sadly, apparently typical of the studios' lack of respect for talent.

I've always thought it curious than the earlier version (without Daryl Hannah's image) was the one picked up for use on the cover of the paperback. Like most, I never saw the revised version until it appeared years later, online (on BLADEZONE) . . .

Although I have Drew's new version framed, I still prefer the original, revised. I only wish something official had been or would be released.

- R13

As has been mentioned elsewhere on PS, attempting to enlarge scans can be problematic, even with some of the current conversion software. It can significantly magnify the screen process, and any attempt to correct this may result in the distracting softening of the final image.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: