FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard's Sedan Colours

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jargonking
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Deckard's Sedan Colours Reply with quote

I've reached the point of applying colour to the bodywork of my Fujimi Deckard Sedan but I'm doubtful over the correct colour.
The most common image seen purporting to be Deckard's car is this one....

...which appears to show a maroon/purple below the window line with a bronze/brown above.

The problem is that the two-tone scheme appears to be at odds with the car seen on the stakeout outside the Bradbury, which appears to be an all-over dark orange.

I found this pic which appears to be an unrestored car....note the black lines on the pillars....seemingly an overall dark orange...

I'm not sure when the restoration of the grounded spinners took place or how many were restored, however this one appears to be the restored version (no pillar lines)....

Again, same dark orange....I'm assuming the restorers would try to match the original colour.
This one appears to be the museum one judging by the bogus Police markings, but note the addition of a roof mounted light bar....

All very confusing!....anybody got any additional shots of the originals or any definitive information?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watch the scene in the film closely where Deckard is parking the Sedan before he goes into Sebastian's, you can see the a spot light pass over it for a hot second, and the once brown looking car is shown to be closer to orange. The lighting in the film kind of subdues all color, and old magazine photos are notoriously off color. It is very likely the one in the police museum has been repainted, and even painted a brighter orange perhaps, but it is in my opinion that Deckard's sedan was closer to Orange. It is also possible he drove more than one too.

The other thing to be aware of is that the street scenes were lit with multiple light sources, and many of them were colored. They also used the Neon signs to light much of the scenes. So it is not surprising the car would look like different colors on different sides in the same photo. I also found out that bright sunlight will also tint stuff toward the blue side of the spectrum, and thus make reds seem darker. I think the most important may be to match the color you think it is in your minds eye, or it will never look right to you.

Andy
jargonking
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
It is very likely the one in the police museum has been repainted, and even painted a brighter orange perhaps, but it is in my opinion that Deckard's sedan was closer to Orange. It is also possible he drove more than one too.

Andy

I agree that the museum one looks too bright and I had the same thought about him driving more than one car. The two-tone one might just be a background vehicle and nothing to do with Deckard.
jargonking
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've found my colour....it's Rover Orange Blaze and is actually less bright than the flash makes it appear.....

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it already...question: is there a similar decal on the roof (you know that one half white/half red circle), because if that "orange" is too close from the red, then it'll be difficult to see that red.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at a couple pics of the film sedan I think a two tone paint job is very likely...more to come

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I circled the parts of the sedan where it looks like there are paint color differences on similarly angled panels, and how it looks like a kind of futuristic almost space craft detailing. I also compared the rear section in both early photos.

Andy
jargonking
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
I like it already...question: is there a similar decal on the roof (you know that one half white/half red circle), because if that "orange" is too close from the red, then it'll be difficult to see that red.

Yes there is, however it has a silver surround which helps separate the colours. Also the red is certainly redder than the paintwork.
Interestingly the circular decals are different in each kit....

Here's the Police decal sheet, the red and white are simply split....

Here's the Sedan version, note the white lines on the red portion which follow similar lines on the roof....

No idea why these are different or if they differed on the real cars...to be honest I'm not even sure what the red/white thing is supposed to be....
jargonking
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Here I circled the parts of the sedan where it looks like there are paint color differences on similarly angled panels, and how it looks like a kind of futuristic almost space craft detailing. I also compared the rear section in both early photos. Andy

I agree that the colours in the pic outside the Million Dollar appear to show a two-tone scheme but I'm not entirely convinced that this is Deckard's car.
Besides which the one in the 3rd Street tunnel is definitely not two-tone.
I'm intending on heavily weathering the orange scheme so it won't look as bright when it's finished.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to be carefull with the two-tone idea Confused It's probably some type of effect to make the car seem to be used and abused specialy near the rear engine and all those pipes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: